"El Pirata Y el Perico Restaurante" name changed to "Tortuga Tavern"

Mickey_777

Best TACOS in all the parks! Good Cheap Mexican food!

The new counter service tacos at Cantina in Epcot are mighty, mighty tasty. Especially when you squeeze the lime ontop.

Being from Texas and my family from Mexico, I'm going to have to say that no where in the Magic Kingdom, or much less WDW for that matter, is there "good" Mexican food. Just had to throw my two cents in. :lookaroun

If had Mexican food in Mexico so I know what you mean.

Brian_WDW74

This is actually pretty exciting. Love it. But I don't think that is Blackbeard at all. I am pretty sure it's the Smoking Beard Pirate from the first movie.

While there was a pirate with a smoking beard in the first movie, he did not wear a captain's hat and clothing. Blackbeard was well-known for making his beard smoke before combat to intimidate his opponents. Everything about the new mural, from the look of the hat to the wrinkle at the bridge of the pirate's nose, indicates that it's Ian McShane as Blackbeard.

Tortuga-Tavern_Blackbeard.jpg
BlackbeardIanmcshane.jpg

DaGoof00

This is great! Looking forward to finally getting the chance to stop in here (which I haven't)! I hope they continue to amp up the Pirates tie in with the decor!

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
The description "The taco place across from PotC that is always closed" seemed to be the most recognizable name for this place. Occasionally someone would know it by the English translation "The Pirate and the Parrot". :lol:

:lol: That's always been our name for the place too!

Compass East

While there was a pirate with a smoking beard in the first movie, he did not wear a captain's hat and clothing. Blackbeard was well-known for making his beard smoke before combat to intimidate his opponents. Everything about the new mural, from the look of the hat to the wrinkle at the bridge of the pirate's nose, indicates that it's Ian McShane as Blackbeard.

BlackbeardIanmcshane.jpg

Wow... great detective work! It must be awfully nice not to have to repaint that mural...

MarkTwain

Count me among those who like the change. Anything that keeps the restaurant open is worth it in my book, and if Disney thinks that tying it into the Pirates movies are a way to do it, then I'm all for it. Not to mention that Tortuga's Tavern is infinitely easier to say/remember than "La Pirata y el Perico." :lol: I'm a Spanish minor and I still found that restaurant's name hard to say...

Brian_WDW74

I did some detective work on the mural changes:

Before:
MagicKingdom1-209.jpg

After:

:ROFLOL: I did the same detective work. It looks like all they did was paint Blackbeard's face and hat over the old pirate's face and hat. His clothing and the rest of the mural look exactly the same.

MeandMickey

Maybe they will start selling "ButterRum" at the re-named tavern to compete with Harry's butterbeer over at US. Maybe not so bad, and you can spike it with the contents of a previous posters flask! :)

JustInTime

Maybe they will start selling "ButterRum" at the re-named tavern to compete with Harry's butterbeer over at US. Maybe not so bad, and you can spike it with the contents of a previous posters flask! :)

I think they should, actually! Sell it at Liberty Tree Tavern, Gaston's Tavern and Tortuga Tavern. I think it would be a massive hit.

lebeau

I think they should, actually! Sell it at Liberty Tree Tavern, Gaston's Tavern and Tortuga Tavern. I think it would be a massive hit.

The reason people are lining up to buy Butterbeer is that they have read about it for over a decade and wondered what it would be like to taste it.

The reaction to something made up to cash in like "Butterrum" would be more like :confused: :shrug:.

I'm sure if it was tasty, it would catch on. But it doesn't have that built-in appeal that Butterbeer does.

Pioneer Hall

The reason people are lining up to buy Butterbeer is that they have read about it for over a decade and wondered what it would be like to taste it.

The reaction to something made up to cash in like "Butterrum" would be more like :confused: :shrug:.

I'm sure if it was tasty, it would catch on. But it doesn't have that built-in appeal that Butterbeer does.

Bingo. There really is no made up drink that Disney is going to create to compete with Butterbeer. The appeal of it isn't the taste, it's the fact that you now get to enjoy someone that was confined to books not too long ago.

JustInTime

I completely understand the appeal to butterbeer. I assure you I may be the biggest Potter fan on these boards. I just feel like the endless "dry" Taverns in the MK need some sort of gimmick. I mean, who knows if something like this would ever happen but it could be cool! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom