Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiklCraw4d

BTW- If I started my own blog in the future, would that be of interest or value to you?

Well, obviously! I think this would be extremely interesting and I encourage it. Speaking from my own experience, I was reluctant to start blogging but have come to really, really enjoy it. And I'm sure that you have many stories that are worth sharing...

As for further questions, I'm always interested in more info on Sci-Fi City. There's precious little "out there" about that project.

I'd also ask you this, since I've been doing a lot of EDL digging lately: Do you think the resort would have gotten off to a less rocky start had they located it in Spain instead? I'm sure the design of the park would have differed, but was any actual design work done before the deal with France was signed?

Anyway, thanks for coming and sharing your thoughts and stories. I hope you start blogging soon, and hopefully I can make it to the Riviera in September.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'd also ask you this, since I've been doing a lot of EDL digging lately: Do you think the resort would have gotten off to a less rocky start had they located it in Spain instead? I'm sure the design of the park would have differed, but was any actual design work done before the deal with France was signed?

My guess is that the resort would have had a tougher time opening on time in Spain,as it was tough enough in France. Without the project director, Mickey Steinberg, we would not have made it at all. The weather is better there so you would have more good days for construction, but I think the lack of organization there or the "siesta" work ethic may have hurt. I could be wrong but that's my guess. We would not have done as much "weatherizing" like the Arcades on Main Street, or done Discoveryland as it was a contractural requirement to dedicate some content to french or european culture. The Castle design was even a reaction to that as WDC wanted us to copy Disneyland's, and to address that concern Tom Morris redid it from Bavarian into a French inspired "fantasy" Castle. It would be interesting to talk to someone who worked on the Universal project in Spain (Port Aventura) and hear what they think. We did some concept design with Tony before the contract and research, but could not charge against the job in a big way until the deal was sealed. I remember being reassigned to other stuff like Lucas Tomorrowland etc. until there was a deal as it kept dragging on.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My guess is that the resort would have had a tougher time opening on time in Spain,as it was tough enough in France. Without the project director, Mickey Steinberg, we would not have made it at all. The weather is better there so you would have more good days for construction, but I think the lack of organization there or the "siesta" work ethic may have hurt. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

I think this is a real issue with construction there. I've seen it first hand - those siestas turn into very long downtimes!

wserratore1963

:sohappy::D:sohappy:
I can't believe we've hit 100 pages so soon. The momentum has slowed a bit the last week or so, and that tells me that we've satisfied most of the topics and questions. So unless there is something burning on someone's mind out there (besides "How can I become an Imagineer?), I'm kinda done for now. It was a great fun and engaging conversation. I enjoyed it and thanks for your support and intelligent commentary. Here's to WDI and it's future!

BTW- If I started my own blog in the future, would that be of interest or value to you?
count me in

MiklCraw4d

My guess is that the resort would have had a tougher time opening on time in Spain,as it was tough enough in France. Without the project director, Mickey Steinberg, we would not have made it at all. The weather is better there so you would have more good days for construction, but I think the lack of organization there or the "siesta" work ethic may have hurt.

It's funny, because I was thinking more of the problems the resort faced after its opening and didn't even consider the construction process. Too bad more books haven't been written about the subject - so much more is known about the creation of DL and WDW than EDL.

Thanks for the clarification on the development - it's obvious that WDP had considered a European Disneyland long before the deal was signed in '85 but I never knew if that consideration went beyond "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to do a European Disneyland - have Herbie paint a castle rendering and call it a day."

I figured that any early work was probably not used, since the design of the park is so French. Like you said, Discoveryland is heavily French, but even Fantasyland gives that vibe and Adventureland is so reminiscent of French North Africa.

I remember being reassigned to other stuff like Lucas Tomorrowland etc.

The what with the what? :)

_Scar

Sorry, but I'm very curious to see what a former Disney imagineer thinks about Disney's future and past failure :D

What do you think WDW needs most?

FL expansion in MK
Beastly Kingdom in DAK
MI/Star Tours 2.0 in DHS
Imagination redo in Epcot

and what did you think of Stitch's Galacatic Celebration show? :lol::hurl:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Sorry, but I'm very curious to see what a former Disney imagineer thinks about Disney's future and past failure :D

What do you think WDW needs most?

FL expansion in MK
Beastly Kingdom in DAK
MI/Star Tours 2.0 in DHS
Imagination redo in Epcot

and what did you think of Stitch's Galacatic Celebration show? :lol::hurl:

It's hard to say because I'm not in tune with how each park is doing. Creatively, the MK could use a "shot in the arm" so anything in MK sounds great to me. I'd guess that they need something to compete against HP at Universal at some point, so maybe Beastly Kingdom seems like the candidate. Star Tours 2.0 is a must, but to a guest it's an enhancement and that may not draw as well as something totally new, same for Imagination. I think they are all worthy as concepts.

So to answer your question, IMHO what WDW needs most, maybe even more than new shows, are the details. Overcoming it's enormous size and "paying attention to the little details" that make an attraction or land really great. It's so hard when you deal in huge volume like that, to stop and tune the experience so it really sings. "Tuning" the food and merchandise thematically to the lands and making it all one "special" experience seems to be less of a capital cost but could drive guest satisfaction.

(I have heard the new HM has done that.)

jt04

It's hard to say because I'm not in tune with how each park is doing. Creatively, the MK could use a "shot in the arm" so anything in MK sounds great to me. I'd guess that they need something to compete against HP at Universal at some point, so maybe Beastly Kingdom seems like the candidate. Star Tours 2.0 is a must, but to a guest it's an enhancement and that may not draw as well as something totally new, same for Imagination. I think they are all worthy as concepts.

So to answer your question, IMHO what WDW needs most, maybe even more than new shows, are the details. Overcoming it's enormous size and "paying attention to the little details" that make an attraction or land really great. It's so hard when you deal in huge volume like that, to stop and tune the experience so it really sings. "Tuning" the food and merchandise thematically to the lands and making it all one "special" experience seems to be less of a capital cost but could drive guest satisfaction.

(I have heard the new HM has done that.)

Makes perfect sense. We were discussing in another thread how easy and inexpensively these things can be done. And there are some recent examples that seem to "resonate". They have returned Energy to it's original exterior paint scheme and are bringing back some of the educational displays at Seas. It appears they are adding LED lighting to the people mover at MK and they recently added some great decals to windows of the TTA to not only block backstage views but to add to the backstory. I saw where they also added some really cool poster art to the entrance of World Showcase recently. All these projects are relatively inexpensive but add greatly to the aesthetics and immersive quality most guests expect.

And I view these subtle but important changes as an indicator that someone at TDO and Glendale understands that. Now if that person just had a good idea as to what to do with the Stitch stage.

WDWFREAK53

Eddie, I haven't read this entire thread so if you've already answered this, I completely apologize.

You just mentioned an "Imagination" redo...

What are some things that you would do to this pavilion to bring it back to the splendor that it once was?

I would love to see an Imagination themed table-service restaurant where the tables were actually electronic "art easels" and you use "light-pens" to draw on them...and there could be different options...from games to "coloring pages" to videos and blank canvases.

Also, the food would be themed to "Imagination" so the food would be the standard fare...but maybe different colors. For instance, the rainbow/tye-dyed bread, etc.

I also think that upstairs Imageworks should be completely redone and removed (more on this to follow). Utilize the second floor in the ride. It would be unexpected (think Wonkavator...it's just "different" from an elevator...but not TOO different.)...it would be a dark ride..but just "different."

Now, Imageworks would be in a new area...maybe an entirely new pyramid. Make it a playground on the scale of Camp Jurassic but theme it to Figment and "Dreams." The kids could go around the different levels and play areas of the playground "collecting" dreams and ideas...and then at the end, they can put them into a kiosk and it would show them what "idea" they created out of their imagination. The possibilities are endless with this pavilion (much like the imagination :) ).

Also, a new 3D movie would need to be done.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
And I view these subtle but important changes as an indicator that someone at TDO and Glendale understands that.

The ones that REALLY make those "details" happen are usually those on the ground in the WDI show quality departments at the parks. When I was there, Kim Irvine and her group at DL would pull favors with the maintenance groups and even work on their own time to paint AA figures and more, just to get the best possible product despite the budgets. Whole souled devotion. They really care and put their life into it.

_Scar

Eddie, I haven't read this entire thread so if you've already answered this, I completely apologize.

You just mentioned an "Imagination" redo...

I've actually heard the rumor on here... sorry to burst the bubble :(... but I do agree that the pavillion's possibilities are endless. Although, WoL and Energy need to be worked on first IMO. Wonder of Life is a shell, and it really needs to be demo'd for an e-ticket or make WoL Storm Riders from TDS. All you need to do is update Energy with a fresh new film. Ellen is more popular than ever now :D I bet she'd have no problem redoing it.

I do agree about the enhancement comments, but I believe a good marketing campaign can turn it around (for Star Wars at least). From hearing all the new things like 3D, hundreds of story varieties, and filling in the void between episodes 3 and 4; I think they could def. get Star Wars back in people's heads and send them to DHS.

I kinda think the only thing that could take down a large amount of hype from Harry Potter is Journey to the Center of the Earth. But even at that, Harry Potter still looks unbeatable as of right now.

Eddie, do you think they'd change Journey's theme if it went to DAK? That has been debated here....

WDWFREAK53

I've actually heard the rumor on here... sorry to burst the bubble :(... but I do agree that the pavillion's possibilities are endless.

What do you mean "burst my bubble?" :shrug:

Eddie had mentioned an Imagination redo...I know he didn't "break that news" but he mentioned it in a list of rumored refurbs (and when asked, he addressed it above.)

EDIT: and am I the only one not "thrilled" with the rumor of JttCotE coming to DAK? (Even with a rethemed version). Maybe I'm looking for "more." I've never been on JttCotE but at just under 3 minutes...that's like taking Test Track and cutting it in half. Sure, it's themed incredibly...and the ride experience is completely different...(only going by crappy youtube vids)...but it's too damn short! I'd rather something along the lines of Revenge of the Mummy with a coaster/dark ride hybrid than a rethemed clone of JttCotE.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I kinda think the only thing that could take down a large amount of hype from Harry Potter is Journey to the Center of the Earth. But even at that, Harry Potter still looks unbeatable as of right now.
Eddie, do you think they'd change Journey's theme if it went to DAK? That has been debated here....

Yeah. It does. It all depends on how good Harry Potter is. Expectations are very high so it would have to live up to that. Universal can get there if they decide to.

I only rode it once, but IMHO, JTTCOTE was not quite an E Ticket. In scope it's an epic E for sure, and it's great for the reasons you state, theming, volcano, visuals, etc. but somehow the show's pacing and the thrill ending left me wanting it all to be more. It's a tough call and just my opinion. If they did reproduce it elsewhere, it would be nice to tweak the show a bit and give it that last 10% of refinement to hit E plus.

Do you think Journey in DAK is too similar to CTE/Dinosaur? Basically, you wanna be aware of the fact that you could end up with too many shows that rely on a "big mean something" coming after you (Yeti in Everest, T-Rex in Dinosaur, Snake in Journey, etc.) as their main focus.

WDWFREAK53

Do you think Journey in DAK is too similar to CTE/Dinosaur? Basically, you wanna be aware of the fact that you could end up with too many shows that rely on a "big mean something" coming after you (Yeti in Everest, T-Rex in Dinosaur, Snake in Journey, etc.) as their main focus.

EXACTLY! Too many of the Disney attractions have the "Oh no, we veered off into the wrong direction!" feel to them.

I had posted my thoughts on an attraction based around a dragon (actually, the theme of an entire land) where the "Beastly Kingdom" land wasn't a land of mythology...but just a place where creatures that we THINK are mythological and imaginary were based on some fact...and the fact was...they are real. They found sanctuary on this remote island away from the other threats of the world. The Dragon wouldn't be "chasing you" but "defending" itself out of fear of humans. Animal Kingdom shouldn't be about "make-believe" it should be all based on fact, science, and reality...and you can pull that off even with a subject that is "made-up."

Islands of Adventure had the Triceratops Encounter...and, while I could tell it was fake, it really suspended belief with some. It's a shame it closed down because it did "Wow" some people. Plus, the kids loved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom