ECV abuse caught on camera...

jmvd20

That's America for ya!

One a side note, I was at Cedar Point a couple of months ago and we saw that they were making overweight people get off of one of their coasters. Basically it's a rule there if the safety bars don't click then you can't ride. And everyone watched as the fat people left.

I have seen that happen to people at Cedar Point as well, however it is safety first. The fact is that some types of restraints cannot be made to safely secure very obese people. They should not be allowed to ride if the safety features do not work, if they get hurt all it does is increase prices for everyone.

But then Cedar Point also promotes obesity by selling more fried food than any other park I've seen. :rolleyes:

But they do not force anyone to eat it, what we eat is our choice in the end. Every person should be responsible for what they choose to eat, no park, company, or restaurant forces us to eat anything.

I've since had a chance to look at this video and agree that this guy sounds like he is bragging and encouraging people to get an EVC even when they don't need one. That is not right.

It's especially sad when the parks run out of them because others are abusing the system while there are other people who really need them.

TinkerbellK

A few myths about wheelchairs/scooters at Disney:

"You get to the front of the line"
Actually I either wait in the same line, or I wait longer normally.

"Only fat people use them."
I am 5' tall and 100 lbs at age 23. I guess I break that rule too...

"Its easier."
Try again... In general, it is just as easy as walking at disney. Elsewhere in the world a scooter or wheelchair is generally much harder...

"People are just lazy."
Yes, I suppose a few are. But in general, these scooters cost about $250 for a week! This means they have to be both rich AND lazy!

"If they can stand, they don't really need it."
If they cannot stand at all, they would not be using a scooter, they would be using a persnal wheelchair. scooters are not made for all-day every-day use. I use my wheelchair at disney and other places where I will be out all day, but I can make it through daily life without it. This attitude has actually made me ashamed of my ability to walk sometimes, as if I am not "disabled enough."

"People in wheelchairs/scooters get special treatment."
No, they don't. At Disney, like no where else, they get equal treatment. It just seems like special treatment because it happens so rarely.

"People abuse wheelchairs on buses."
Once again, Disney is bound by the LAW. It is LAW that a wheelchair user boards first and their party boards with them. Be glad disney doesnt follow the whole law: According to law, if a wheelchair user cannot board because the spots are full, then NO ONE is allowed to board, even if there is room. That is law, but Disney elects not to use it, which is fine by me!

"There is a 'brotherhood of the wheel' and all wc/ecv users back each other up."
Trust me, I hate the abusers out there FAR more than able-bodied people do! They make it much harder to me...

ok, i will post more later, but I just wanted to clear up a few myths about wheeling at disney

RiversideBunny

What training do legitimate ECV users get at WDW before using them?
The reason I ask is that I witnessed a lady in Animal Kingdom get bashed hard from behind by an ECV rider who got the brake confused with the throttle.
A member of the rider's party had to come over quickly and stop the ECV rider from doing it again.

Tks.
:)

TinkerbellK

I am not sure about disney, but the rentals are dropped off at the hotel from off-site vendors, so those people may not get "training." honestly, no training is needed, just presence of mind. you push a button to go, and either push another button or release the first button to stop. you dont need any training, but sometimes people get confused or their hands slip. that is why i don't use a scooter - my motor skills in my hands isnt very good, and a scooter is too sensitive...

Harry456

In the past year, My Mom had stroke and thus, she has trouble walking long distances and gets exhausted easily. She went on the my hometown band trip to Walt Disney World and she mastered a system of sitting and watching other shows. (eg - My Dad would go Splash Mountain/any E-ticket ride and she would go to a show Country Bears/TTA/sit in a shady spot. So had no problem)

I do sympathize with people who can't walk a long distance, but there are people with healthy condition who can walk around Disney World. Everyone is lazy, but there are some people who go beyond the line of laziness. (gr....i have a reference but do not think it would fit here.)

by the way....POSTING IN A EPIC THREAD :)

Swood35 said:
Let's try to kill the angry buzz in the air...how about a dog on a playground!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wjJlBOtR1Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpam1024
but if you can't say anything nice, then you shouldn't say anything at all-Thumper:zipit:

Or, on the subject of cute bunnies...well...a cute bunny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWUg...eature=related

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

also, Munchkin Cat!! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBO2U7SZ5qs (soooooooo.....cute!!)

Tramp

59 in November and still walking WDW.

EXCUSE ME? I happen to be the oldest moderator, and forum members who have met me can attest to the fact that I have never used one, nor have any other moderators on this board.

:kiss: You old? NO WAY! :wave:

Phonedave

That's America for ya!

One a side note, I was at Cedar Point a couple of months ago and we saw that they were making overweight people get off of one of their coasters. Basically it's a rule there if the safety bars don't click then you can't ride. And everyone watched as the fat people left.

But then Cedar Point also promotes obesity by selling more fried food than any other park I've seen. :rolleyes:

The gym I go to has two parking lots. A small one in front, and a large one across the street.

There are allways people waiting for spots to open up in the close lot, while there a dozens of open spots across the street.

You are going to the gym, you are going to excersize, why do you need to park close. And yes I understand that in bad weather, or maybe someone rehabing a leg injury this may make sense, but there are a LOT of people doing this. I just find it funny.

-dave

Stellajack

The YOUTUBE ECV abuser

We should all be careful about these abuses. Circumstances might change and make an honest person of us.

DizneyPryncess

I'm just embarrassed for this guy, and for people like him. It's all around bad karma to do things like this. Those are for people who need them - not for lazy people.

Club Cooloholic

EXCUSE ME? I happen to be the oldest moderator, and forum members who have met me can attest to the fact that I have never used one, nor have any other moderators on this board.

I will confess that I did use a wheelchair (but not a WDW) when:

1. I was on complete bedrest due to a pregnancy which could have killed both myself and my unborn son had I gone into labor. My OB (who was also a friend) pushed me herself so that a could see my daughter dance in her recital. She stayed by me in case anything went wrong.

2. I used one during the first 48 hours after completely blowing out my knee while skiing a dozen years ago.

I was also forced to ride in one while being discharged from the hospital after both babies.

I also would not allow my mother to use one on her last trip to WDW, as I was afraid that she would not be able to control it. Instead, I pushed her around in a wheelchair for 3 days.

This topic always ends badly, but if we lock it preemptively, people complain. If we let it run its course, we get complaints.

Just be thankful if you do not have a real need for one, or that you're not the sort of person to think that using one when you don't need it is fun. I feel compassion for the former, but really pity the latter; what a horrible way to go through life.

I think most of us are clear that if you have a real need for one, then it's ok, but even then a wheelchair would suffice.
I just found that usually these threads end more prematurely than say..brazillian bashing ones do?

MousDad

A few myths about wheelchairs/scooters at Disney:

"Its easier."
Try again... In general, it is just as easy as walking at disney. Elsewhere in the world a scooter or wheelchair is generally much harder...

Smartest thing ever said in this or any other ECV/stroller/obesity thread. Having to deal with an ECV, wheelchair, or stroller for that matter, is never easier than walking the parks. The hassle of dealing with it always outweighs the point A to B benefits.

It's why I never worry about people using or abusing wheelchairs/ECVs/strollers, and I laugh at those people who do.

TinkerbellK

I think most of us are clear that if you have a real need for one, then it's ok, but even then a wheelchair would suffice.
I just found that usually these threads end more prematurely than say..brazillian bashing ones do?

actually, a wheelchair will almost never suffice when a person uses a scooter. The park wheelchairs are VERY heavy and VERY uncomfortable, and the person sitting in them cannot push themselves at all. I could not move the park wc more than a foot when i had to transfer out of my personal chair at POTC.

often times a person needs mobility assistance, but cannot rely on a member of their party to push them. In my family of four, my mom has heart and neck problems, my sister has facial paralysis which affects vision and Cushings disease/syndrome, and my dad is almost 60 and has a bad hamstring and achilles. I personally cannot drive an ECV due to the nature of my disability, but I have a $2000 ultra-lightweight personal chair which i can maneuver a good deal, and my family takes care of times when i need a little help.

so yes most people in ECVs need them, but no a wc will almost never suffice...

wvdisneyfamily

I will confess that I did use a wheelchair (but not a WDW) when:

1. I was on complete bedrest due to a pregnancy which could have killed both myself and my unborn son had I gone into labor. My OB (who was also a friend) pushed me herself so that a could see my daughter dance in her recital. She stayed by me in case anything went wrong.

2. I used one during the first 48 hours after completely blowing out my knee while skiing a dozen years ago.

I was also forced to ride in one while being discharged from the hospital after both babies.

I also would not allow my mother to use one on her last trip to WDW, as I was afraid that she would not be able to control it. Instead, I pushed her around in a wheelchair for 3 days.

This topic always ends badly, but if we lock it preemptively, people complain. If we let it run its course, we get complaints.

Just be thankful if you do not have a real need for one, or that you're not the sort of person to think that using one when you don't need it is fun. I feel compassion for the former, but really pity the latter; what a horrible way to go through life.

Well said.:sohappy:

rocketscientist

That's America for ya!

Granted, I don’t know who you’ve seen having to leave the ride, but I’ve been to Cedar Point many times and while I agree that there are some people out there who are quite excessively large for whatever reason, be it through choice of lifestyle, medical reasons, etc…, their restraints can be a little over the top.

I’m a big guy but I buy normal sized XL or 2XL (I tend to shrink t-shirts… one of those life skills I never really picked up on…) clothes that you can find at any store, and there are a few rides there that I don’t always fit into. I’m also a little on the tall side so it is an added problem that exaggerates the situation, especially when there are shoulder harnesses involved, but generally I think that places that offer attractions, while they can’t accommodate everyone, should at least attempt to accommodate those who fall within what is normality.

What actually frustrates me most about Cedar Point is that depending on which car I’ve sat in, I’ll either fit fine or won’t fit at all. It is embarrassing, and you can’t keep trying cars. Wicked Twister and Top Thrill Dragster come to mind. I’ve ridden both many times.

One summer I rode Wicked Twister and fit fine, not thinking anything of it. I then went to Top Thrill and couldn’t close the belt. A few weeks later I went back with another group of friends and couldn’t fit into Wicked Twister, but ‘miracle of miracles’ I fit into Top Thrill. It is annoying to pay that much and not be able to experience all the rides, with the added embarrassment and gamble of seat picking. My friends all know I’m an adrenaline junkie and love thrill rides, never getting sick, so I can’t use that as an excuse as to why I don’t want to go on a ride.

I actually started a thread here last year before going on Disney trip with my girlfriend as I’d not been since I’d reached my current height (I hope I’m not growing any taller… or horizontal…). Cedar Point actually had me worried that I’d have problems at Disney. Fortunately, that’s not the case!

Sorry for the length of the post, the way the comment was stated rubbed me the wrong way and I thought it better to comment nicely albeit long than be snippy. Hope everyone’s having a nice summer!

Ps: I forgot to mention, I've never required the use of any mobility device due to my size, I'm fully capable of walking long distances and have done some things more normal people cannot do. I enjoy hiking up mountains, for relaxation. (Unfortunately, my family doesn't all think that that is something fun to do when on a Hawaiian vacation... but I beg to differ)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom