ECV abuse caught on camera...

smalld

I agree with you. It can be hard enought getting around the park with just people, never mind strollers and ECV's. Stop being lazy and leave them for the people that need the assistance of such a vehicle to enjoy the parks.

Yup i think the same thoughts as me. If you REALLY dont need one Don't Get It!

~smalld

danpam1024

I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY!!! :fork: but if you can't say anything nice, then you shouldn't say anything at all-Thumper:zipit:

krankenstein

Sigh...like I have said before, it is what it is.

Does the system have flaws? Yes.
Is there a better way to do it? Probably.
Are we going to see a change? Doubtful.

When it is all over, I believe people will have to answer for doing stuff like that.

CleveRocks

Number one, I'll bet none of you read the comments written by the creator of the video ... he DOES have medical conditions that make it difficult or impossible for him to walk or stand for long consecutive periods of time.

Number two, he's just plain wrong about an ECV getting you automatic front-of-the-line access. Judging from the position of the sun and shadows (if you stand in the middle of the hub and look at the center of Cinderella Castle, you are facing north, and the sun rises in the east and takes a southerly course towards the west during the day), it was mid-to-late morning, and he probably just made his way up Main Street (the rental place is under the train station) and hadn't yet tried to get front-of-the-line access. Almost all of the rides and attractions have mainstreamed queues that everyone can use ... if an ECV can fit through a queue, then there's no need to give the user special access.

I really have to stop avoiding my work and get my real writing done, before I prove myself to be more of a geek than I already have.:eek:

MAF

Original Poster
Number one, I'll bet none of you read the comments written by the creator of the video ... he DOES have medical conditions that make it difficult or impossible for him to walk or stand for long consecutive periods of time.

I KNEW someone was going to bring that up sooner or later. I call BS to the whole charade. Why else would he post it as a "funny video" and say blatantly that Disney doesn't check these things out when renting and that you get "front of the line acess." He's advertising that any Joe Schmoe off the street can rent one of these puppies and get away w/ it. The only reason he put those comments were because of the backlash he recieved, and I am done...

firemandisney

Unfortunately, ALOT of the folks that use these things absolutely DO NOT NEED them.
Lazy, is addicting. You give someone a crutch, they'll use it. Needed or not.
I have seen so many perfectly capable people hop right off of one and walk just fine.
If you TRUELY need one use it.
But for the vast majority that use em....You just watched it on you tube.

sbkline

Unfortunately, ALOT of the folks that use these things absolutely DO NOT NEED them.
Lazy, is addicting.
I have seen so many perfectly capable people hop right off of one and walk just fine.
If you TRUELY need one use it.
But for the vast majority that use em....You just watched it on you tube.

I'm not saying it's okay to use one of those things if you have no need for it. But for those people that you see "hop right off" one of those things, how do you know that he isn't physically capable of walking, but just not for long distances or long periods of time? Just today, I helped a guy at work (at Walmart), who was in an ECV. He bought a couple of molded pools and he needed help carrying them to the front. So I carried them to the front while he drove his electric wheelchair to the front. When he got to the front, he parked the vehicle, then took the pools and walked the rest of the way to his car.

I didn't assume that he's lazy and just got one of those things when he's perfectly capable of walking. I've seen plenty of people at Walmart (some of whom I know from church) who are able to walk, but the problem is with walking for extended periods of time. Sure, they can walk from their car to the Walmart entrance, but it's walking around for a long period in the store that they have a problem with. So they get one of those scooters. And whose to say that they aren't in some pain just from the walk into the store? Or even if the person is young and looks healthy in every other way, who's to say that he didn't kick his toe on the bathroom doorway this morning, breaking his toe? He would be able to walk, but be in alot of pain and, IMO, would be perfectly entitled to one of those machines rather than hobbling around all day at the MK with a broken toe.

Again, if a person is just getting one of those things to be lazy, then shame on them for taking up a machine that someone else may truly need. But if all we see is someone getting out of it and walking, without knowing any other facts, perhaps it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than rushing to judgement.

firemandisney

I'm not saying it's okay to use one of those things if you have no need for it. But for those people that you see "hop right off" one of those things, how do you know that he isn't physically capable of walking, but just not for long distances or long periods of time? Just today, I helped a guy at work (at Walmart), who was in an ECV. He bought a couple of molded pools and he needed help carrying them to the front. So I carried them to the front while he drove his electric wheelchair to the front. When he got to the front, he parked the vehicle, then took the pools and walked the rest of the way to his car.

I didn't assume that he's lazy and just got one of those things when he's perfectly capable of walking. I've seen plenty of people at Walmart (some of whom I know from church) who are able to walk, but the problem is with walking for extended periods of time. Sure, they can walk from their car to the Walmart entrance, but it's walking around for a long period in the store that they have a problem with. So they get one of those scooters. And whose to say that they aren't in some pain just from the walk into the store? Or even if the person is young and looks healthy in every other way, who's to say that he didn't kick his toe on the bathroom doorway this morning, breaking his toe? He would be able to walk, but be in alot of pain and, IMO, would be perfectly entitled to one of those machines rather than hobbling around all day at the MK with a broken toe.

Again, if a person is just getting one of those things to be lazy, then shame on them for taking up a machine that someone else may truly need. But if all we see is someone getting out of it and walking, without knowing any other facts, perhaps it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than rushing to judgement.
Exception rather than the rule.
Like welfare..You have a few folks out of a hundred that truly need it.
the rest just completly abuse the system.
I agree with your experience and comments as a whole but this video on youtube pretty much is an example of the vast majority of folks who use them at DISNEY.

raven

Judging from the position of the sun and shadows (if you stand in the middle of the hub and look at the center of Cinderella Castle, you are facing north, and the sun rises in the east and takes a southerly course towards the west during the day), it was mid-to-late morning, and he probably just made his way up Main Street (the rental place is under the train station) and hadn't yet tried to get front-of-the-line access.

It's late afternoon in the video if you are familiar with the hub area.

As for the video, he made it intructional: How to get one without a medical cause. He stated very clearly what his intentions were and only after there were negative posts did he mention a medical condition which he never reveals. His privacy in that matter is one think but this video makes people very upset.

On another note, I twisted my ankle at Epcot a couple of years ago around 8PM and couldn't get a wheel chair due to the being rented out for the day. Later we saw 4 people in the handicap viewing area for Illuminations that parked their wheelchairs then got up to play hacky-sack. :mad:

People do abuse this luxury and it's quite obvious in this vid.

MAF

Original Poster
This is a not a discussion on who needs them and who doesn't. This video is an obvious example of the abuse of the ECV rental sysetem. Is it ever going to change? Probably not, but as long as tools like brag about this type of crap I'm not going to stop complaining about it.

Keri

Last August we took a trip to Disney World. My husband was in the advanced stages of stage IV colon cancer. We used a wheelchair for Epcot because of the long walks at that park. We did not get front of the line on a lot of rides, and we weren't looking for it either. My husband walked all the other parks and refused to use a wheelchair as he wanted to prove to the kids and I that he still could do it. He went to be with the Lord in November of 2007 with pride, and we are so very proud of him too.

WickedQueen22

On our last trip my then 7 year old daughter got run over, I kid you not, by 2 Swedish girls sitting TOGETHER on the EVC who were drunk beyond belief. Then once they made it to Germany they ran to get more beer. You better believe I wanted to kill them. But them it would be me in the violent rage on the youtube videos. Can't win :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom