ECV abuse caught on camera...

Phonedave

Ya, I generally find these kinds of threads to be very pointless and are basically nothing more than a cyber-lynch mob. Kind of like those pedophile threads where everyone and their grandma has to take their turn saying what vile filth these people are. Granted, I'm not attempting to defend pedophiles, or lazy people who rent ACV's or whatever other type of "bad guy" is being targeted in that particular thread. I'm just saying I don't understand why the need to line up and make sure you're heard (or in this case, seen) denouncing someone. I guess it makes us all feel more righteous about ourselves if we can pound on our chest and make sure that everyone else sees us talking about what vile scum these people are.

Threads like this generally get locked because there is no discussion value, other than trying to see if you can outdo everyone else in the manner in which you condemn a person. :lol:

I think its a way of venting frustration. The same reason people sit around a table and vent.

I have never judged a person on an ECV or wheelchair before, because as many have said, they could have problems that are just not evident, but still require a wheelchair or EVC. However this guy, for whatever reason, just gets to me. I am not sure why, but he does.

-dave

Fun2BFree

I think its a way of venting frustration. The same reason people sit around a table and vent.

I have never judged a person on an ECV or wheelchair before, because as many have said, they could have problems that are just not evident, but still require a wheelchair or EVC. However this guy, for whatever reason, just gets to me. I am not sure why, but he does.

-dave

It's his arrogance, stating smugly about how you get to the front of the line and don't need medical evidence to rent one. Rather than being grateful for having an ECV (as most people are, even if they don't necessarily need one), he's being pompous. :shrug:

goofntink

Had a similar experience when my wife was pregnant.She had a medical note from her doctor recommending use of an ECV or wheelchair,as we were staying at the resorts with family in town.They were out of ECVs when we got to the park,and we got her a wheelchair and they put our name on the list for ECVS.About an Hour and a half later we were by HM,and watched as 3 young adults rolled past on ECVs,playing bumper cars.Needless to say we were not very happy as it was obvious they did not require the use of them.We were starting to walk over to tell a Cm at HM about this when a CM manager stopped them by Hall of Presidents. About a minute later 2 Disney Security Guards showed up and started talking to them.After about 5 minutes of discussion,the 3 gentlemen ending up walking off,leaving the ECVs behind.At least in this situation CM's realized what was going on and corrected it.

firemandisney

Such deep concern for mankind... It's unfortunate, I just hope these kinds of sentiments don't creep into the psyche of those that require assistance. I am fortunate to not face challenges in mobility, but I know I would at least temporarily worry what others were glaring at.

If anyone reading this thread is at all worried about a trip to WDW because there's so many judgmental know-it-alls, please remember: It's your vacation, you don't need to hurt yourself just to avoid some bystander guilt-trips. And, believe it or not, you really shouldn't care about their opinion anyway.

Challenges in mobility? Thats a new p.c. term. Wasnt those out of style in the late 90's

Club Cooloholic

I KNEW someone was going to bring that up sooner or later. I call BS to the whole charade. Why else would he post it as a "funny video" and say blatantly that Disney doesn't check these things out when renting and that you get "front of the line acess." He's advertising that any Joe Schmoe off the street can rent one of these puppies and get away w/ it. The only reason he put those comments were because of the backlash he recieved, and I am done...

I was thinking the same thing. I would be embarrassed to be with him. I think I have a pretty good solution....get rid of them. Have people with real medical issues use electric wheelchairs. If people are so lazy they rent these too, they are less likley to ram people when their legs are in front of them.

Club Cooloholic

popcorn.gif

Taking bets on how long it takes this thread to get locked..

Yeah...is that because some of the moderators are folks that may happen to use these things...but dont really need to?

blm07

Bill Nye moment - the first thing I noticed was that "Fourtuosity" was playing. What are the odds that the OA track would be playing?!

Timmay

How long before some of you realize you are playing right into this guys hand and giving the reaction he is trying to get??:shrug:

shmmrname

Wasnt those out of style in the late 90's

I'll assume you meant "weren't", as I had mentioned "challenges", clearly plural.
However, I think the phrase captured exactly what I wanted it to. Not everyone is handicapped, but it doesn't mean their need for assistance should not be met if the resources are available.

raven

I was thinking the same thing. I would be embarrassed to be with him.

Let me tell you this happend to me a few years ago. We were with someone who brought their own and didn't even need one. They used it as an excuse to cut in front of people at attractions AND character meet and greets. The really BAD part is that they lived in the area. So vacationers had to wait for them. :mad: I was so angry that I enventually left them and walked around by myself.

Club Cooloholic

Let me tell you this happend to me a few years ago. We were with someone who brought their own and didn't even need one. They used it as an excuse to cut in front of people at attractions AND character meet and greets. The really BAD part is that they lived in the area. So vacationers had to wait for them. :mad: I was so angry that I enventually left them and walked around by myself.

Geez, I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing. You have to be some kind of person to act like that, hope it was not a relative you have to see again!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
That dude is about as cool as sitting in the dark for 15 minutes on Sounds Dangerous.

I commented and said someone as fat and sweatty as you should really walk it out.

What a loser.

The Empress Lilly

Simply infuriating. :mad:

Maybe he is just riling everybody up, maybe not. However that may be, it serves to bring attention to a real problem: the abuse of ecv's.

WDW's leniency towards them is a policy whereby the wish to accomodate guests backfires. A few are granted their every wish, at the xpense of the majority. It's VIP treatment for the brats, the unfair and the system abusers.

Improve guest service and clamp down on ECV use, Disney!

ljs1691

Hey guys, wait a minute. If you go back and watch the video again it will be clear he has a disability and probably is in need of assitance.

Of course the ECV isn't going to help his MENTAL disability, but it is clear to me that he has one that he needs help with.

Eyorefan

Hmmm... it's Wall-E.

I thought the same thing. Now all these people need are the little robots that will go around and pick them up when they fall off.

Honestly, I don't get why so many people spend so much of there time worring about this. Yes, people who don't need to use EVCs or wheel chairs use them because they are too lazy to walk or they think they are cheating the system in some way. I just feel sorry for them and move on with my day.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah...is that because some of the moderators are folks that may happen to use these things...but dont really need to?

No, and that comment was kind of uncalled for. ECV debates always get ugly, just like refillable mug debates...

*goes back to her popcorn*

Man, that really torques my knobs!!!:mad: Disney's hard enough to navigate without dealing with folks who are, quite frankly, just too lazy to move themselves around! I completely understand if you have a legitamate reason to have one, but laziness doesn't count!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom