E:E news update

iellis14

Original Poster
I dont think so. He was the original poster who was claiming he knew exactly what the problem is.

Sorry about my grammer. Every time I post I type fast and forget to spell check. lol but I hope most of you ladies and gents understand whats up with the yetti.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We do - it`s nothing to do with how many trains were run. It`s structural, concerning the 3rd independent structure of the attraction,

hokielutz

It looks like there really needs to be a push on the public's part to send letters and questions to the Disney office asking when the Yeti will be back up and running, or to explain why it is out of action.

Better yet, try and get the Orlando Sentinel writer to do some digging and ask some hard questions of the folks in management about the ride's extended downtime. Maybe then the public could get some answers. I'm sure a local piece would get their attention.

6 months is really a long time, and I would've hoped by now the repair work would begin. especially during the down-time between summer and the holidays.

DisneyDellsDude

6 months is really a long time, and I would've hoped by now the repair work would begin. especially during the down-time between summer and the holidays.

Especially since bird on a stick is gone.
There's only the one creature in the mountain to take care of now, and he's been broken for too long.:(

Pongo

I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky, but in all the times I've ridden Everest (which was a lot before I went to school), I never saw the Yeti in B mode.

I actually wish I had see him that way. I feel kind of out of the loop :(

:lookaroun

VT GAL

If this was the case, then Disney must have hired engineers from UVA, and not from Virginia Tech. :lol:

Go Hokies!!

If it was an engineer from UVA then we ought to punch him right in the neck and break his Armani slide rule. :ROFLOL:

Thank you Colin Cowherd!

And.... GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

LudwigVonDrake

July 2007 I saw the Yeti working in his full glory. July 2008 you could barely see him and since it was so dark, if you didn't know he was there you wouldn't have seen him.

Where's Joe Rohde now? He hasn't been bragging about his creature lately, has he?

Montyboy

All the excesive trains would of caused soem wear and tear but in no way should that of been the cause of the yeti's demise. From my engineering knowledge a system would not fail from repeating a motion over and over again. The hydralic power behind the yeti Im assuming is constant so what ever fail occured was from under engineering the structure, not because there were alot of trains running.

You mean like fatigue failure?

It can be very complex problem depending on how accurate the results have to be. One of the largest concerns is crack initiation (surface finish, surface treatment and, in fabrications like the yeti structure, weld quality).
During the testing of the yeti structure, they probably applied strain gauges in areas of complex geometry. This will give them the deflection of the material - with this, determining the stress is an easy calculation.

They also could have done finite element analysis to predict stresses.

And when that is all done they could still get a bad piece of metal that cracks below design specifications and the effect is down for six months anyway.

gsimpson

Not to be Jerky Jerkerson here... but the Yeti is supported by completely different framework from the coaster track (and the mountain framework is completely apart from those two, as well). So that explanation doesn't hold water. There is an A mode and a B mode. When the Yeti goes haywire, they put it in B mode (strobelights). I seriously doubt that a more-than-normal train load caused a hydraulic piston to break.

It seems to me that if they were running more than the normal number of trains the Yeti might be actuating his arm and other parts more often than when they were running the normal number of trains. In my experience frequency of use can impact operational status of a machine.

iellis14

Original Poster
It seems to me that if they were running more than the normal number of trains the Yeti might be actuating his arm and other parts more often than when they were running the normal number of trains. In my experience frequency of use can impact operational status of a machine.

You are right and thats what I believe thats what downed the yetti.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You are right and thats what I believe thats what downed the yetti.

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, the Yeti requires a certain timeframe between each performance. The number of trains has no impact on this. If the 5th train arrives before the recycle time, the Yeti will not function and that train will see the static mode.

KYMouseFan

Here is another more serious thought. Maybe the independent Yeti structure is starting to interfere in some way with track and/or mountain structure that would or could potentially cause a safety issue for the entire attraction. Running in B mode would be acceptable compared to an alternative of shutting it down altogether based on potential safety concerns. I would think that with all of Disney's vast resources (Imagineering and money) that it would not take 6 months to fix a mechanical problem. It may be a structural issue at the base of the attraction which would cause a more lengthy and costly fix. I hope none of this is true.

...Or maybe they are just waiting for an upcoming, previously scheduled (yet unannounced to the public) referb to repair. As long as E:E is still drawing a crowd why shut it down for a lengthy repair if it could be handled under a "normal" referb period.

Whatever the case, I hope to see our furry friend in person at the end of October.

Montyboy

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, the Yeti requires a certain timeframe between each performance. The number of trains has no impact on this. If the 5th train arrives before the recycle time, the Yeti will not function and that train will see the static mode.

The time delay is important. Equipment like the yeti does not fail by frequency of use. (It comes to a stop after each cycle.) As long as heat doesn't build up, it will fail after a total number of cycles. The question here is why did it fail so soon? I'd love to climb inside and trouble shoot.

RSoxNo1

My understanding was the last time it was working was for the 10th anniversary when Rohde was in the park. Around that time it hadn't been working due to park ops not wanting to maintain it. Is it something as simple as park ops refusing to pay for maintenance?

Space Mountain

A cuple months ago. I was at disney, and I was talking to a CM. I asked "how did you guys break your yettie". The CM response was (not word for word) "one day we ran 5 trains on the track, and as you no it has as much force as a 747 on take off, so with all that pressure one of the hydrolic pistons snaped and the boom for his arm fell." So I guess they have developed a new feture with strobe lights untill the yetti is fixed. I asked when will he be fixed and the answer was (again not word for word) "our yetti is costum made, and becuse he is we will have to custum make a new part just for him" i said "i bet youll just get another yetti so when that one breaks (god forbid cause i love that thing) you can just pull parts" Couldnt get a responds had to ride.:wave:

I'll believe you when you learn to spell...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom