E:E news update

tractorm3

All the excesive trains would of caused soem wear and tear but in no way should that of been the cause of the yeti's demise. From my engineering knowledge a system would not fail from repeating a motion over and over again. The hydralic power behind the yeti Im assuming is constant so what ever fail occured was from under engineering the structure, not because there were alot of trains running.

aurora1982

Ouch. Over-excited typos are fair enough - this is an exciting topic - but complete failure to understand English grammar is a different story. Guys, it's "could have" and "should have", not "could of" and "should of".

gjpjtj

Not to be Jerky Jerkerson here... but the Yeti is supported by completely different framework from the coaster track (and the mountain framework is completely apart from those two, as well). So that explanation doesn't hold water. There is an A mode and a B mode. When the Yeti goes haywire, they put it in B mode (strobelights). I seriously doubt that a more-than-normal train load caused a hydraulic piston to break.

"Jerky Jerkerson" ...that made me laugh:ROFLOL:

brkgnews

It takes 35 seconds for the pressure to build up. Every 35 seconds, the Yeti is able to go.

This is why if you get stopped at the break zone before him, you won't see him move at all. It dosen't matter how many trains are running, you can't make him move an inch before that 35 second mark.

Them's the truths.
I would have given you a cookie if you'd used the pun "them's the brakes." :lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
what you are not understanding is that it was not the 5 trains that broke it. it was the force of the yetti. remember that thing is very powerful and when 5 trains is on the track it's a lot to handle. Oh and there really was no A and B mode. They only made B mode when the yetti stop working. Trust me I was there when it opened and went there almost every month since thin.

You are very mistaken, A and B was designed into the ride and was in place prior to opening.

Your information about 5 trains still makes no sense. You mention it was not the 5 trains that broke it, and you then say "5 trains is on the track it's a lot to handle". You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Either way, the information you have seems to be largely innacurate.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Ouch. Over-excited typos are fair enough - this is an exciting topic - but complete failure to understand English grammar is a different story. Guys, it's "could have" and "should have", not "could of" and "should of".

I'm with you - The first and subsequent posts by the OP make teachers weap.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I doubt this is nothing more than third hand hand information from a front line CM we have heard form multiple reliable sources that the Yeti has experienced what could only be described as a major structural failure. Let us just say for the sake or argument the number of trains on E:E was increased form 4 to 5 and that is what facilitated the mechanical failure of the Yeti. From an engineering perspective that idea is not all that far fetched. Of course that is predicated on the Yeti having to increase the number of times it cycles per hour relative to the increase in the number of trains.

Maybe there is a piece of the equation that I am missing but If 5 trains go around the course in the same time that 4 would have Yeti would have to cycle 1 more time. While the Yeti might be physically be able to recharge and cycle that fast it does not mean that all the parts can handle the extra heat built up in the joints from increasing the number of cycles per hour. While 1 more cycle does not sound like much it is in fact a 25% increase what it was previously doing. When you are dealing with something as cutting edge as the Yeti a 25% increase in stress is a huge leap.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
While I doubt this is nothing more than third hand hand information from a front line CM we have heard form multiple reliable sources that the Yeti has experienced what could only be described as a major structural failure. Let us just say for the sake or argument the number of trains on E:E was increased form 4 to 5 and that is what facilitated the mechanical failure of the Yeti. From an engineering perspective that idea is not all that far fetched. Of course that is predicated on the Yeti having to increase the number of time is cycles per hour relative to the increase in the number of trains.

Maybe there is a piece of the equation that I am missing but If 5 trains go around the course in the same time that 4 would have Yeti would have to cycle 1 more time. While the Yeti might be physically be able to recharge and cycle that fast it does not mean that all the parts can handle the extra heat built up in the joints from increasing the number of cycles per hour. While 1 more cycle does not sound like much it is in fact a 25% increase what it was previously doing. When you are dealing with something as cutting edge as the Yeti a 25% increase in stress is a huge leap.

I believe in the 5th train mode, 1 of the 5 trains wouldnt see the yeti anyway. The train would get there before it's animation cycle was ready. The problems with the yeti set in long before the 5th train got going - more like a few days after opening!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I believe in the 5th train mode, 1 of the 5 trains wouldnt see the yeti anyway. The train would get there before it's animation cycle was ready. The problems with the yeti set in long before the 5th train got going - more like a few days after opening!
Can you confirm what is actually broke? I have heard everything from his back to the foundation he is mounted to.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can you confirm what is actually broke? I have heard everything from his back to the foundation he is mounted to.

Unfortunately not. I'm trying to find out, but the situation seems to be one of those now where a lot of mis-information is going around.

figmentisgreat

Just out of curiosity, are there additional signs now dealing with the strobe lights? I can imagine that they would cause problems with any epileptic riders. Has this been addressed? I haven't seen it in B mode, so I'm not sure exactly how it is done.

tractorm3

It has to be some thing very structuraly unsafe witht he yeti. It was some thing as dumb as his arm broke, head fell off, or even his basic movement doent seem like that would keep him in B mode. I know all the parts are custom but I have had time using many different engineering programs the replicate parts in 3D space and getting the parts from there to a physical item you can touch does not take a long time at all. Im sure disney has its own shop for this stuff, I even know for a fact that the steam trains they run have all custom parts on them since no one manufactures them.

So process or deductive investigating tells me it is some thing in the mount/structure or the monster that is failing.

DizFanatic

Is it possible that what the CM meant was not that the five trains themselves broke the yeti... but with back to back trains passing by so quickly, the excessive demand of the yeti movement was too much for the arm (not enough rest time in between trains for the arm mechanism) Just a thought:dazzle:

That is what I thought when I read the quote.

dabro

While I doubt this is nothing more than third hand hand information from a front line CM we have heard form multiple reliable sources that the Yeti has experienced what could only be described as a major structural failure. Let us just say for the sake or argument the number of trains on E:E was increased form 4 to 5 and that is what facilitated the mechanical failure of the Yeti. From an engineering perspective that idea is not all that far fetched. Of course that is predicated on the Yeti having to increase the number of time is cycles per hour relative to the increase in the number of trains.

This is the most comprehensive translation of the original post. It also makes the most sense. Its like an automobile. You can't run it at maximum levels and expect it to last very long. If it is what really happened no one will ever know unless your part of the team to fix the yettie.

Buried20KLeague

It has to be some thing very structuraly unsafe witht he yeti. It was some thing as dumb as his arm broke, head fell off, or even his basic movement doent seem like that would keep him in B mode. I know all the parts are custom but I have had time using many different engineering programs the replicate parts in 3D space and getting the parts from there to a physical item you can touch does not take a long time at all. Im sure disney has its own shop for this stuff, I even know for a fact that the steam trains they run have all custom parts on them since no one manufactures them.

So process or deductive investigating tells me it is some thing in the mount/structure or the monster that is failing.

It makes some sense...

And...

EEEEEK!!!!!! (if that's the case) :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom