E:E news update

violadamore87

Yeti problems

A friend of mine works at the E:E and she told me that Disney underestimated how heavy the Yeti would be. It is a huge, complicated piece of machinery. It sits upon an independent, fortified concrete and steel foundation but it has cracked several times under the weight of the Yeti. It can happen from time to time and Disney, I'm sure, will get it right but I think they shut him down when it happens just in case something for serious may develop.

My friend is well-informed but as with everything CMs tell me, I take with a grain of salt. :animwink:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm sorry, but I think it's kind of funny to just assume they aren't working on it.
yep. The more attention it gets, the hotter that seat gets that this problem sits on.

If photos would emerge... we would go from rumor to scandal. That would force them to have a press conference. :p

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
yep. The more attention it gets, the hotter that seat gets that this problem sits on.

If photos would emerge... we would go from rumor to scandal. That would force them to have a press conference. :p
And at that press conference they would completely skip over the yeti and tell us about the next DVC property.:lol:

joel_maxwell

And at that press conference they would completely skip over the yeti and tell us about the next DVC property.:lol:
"thank you ladies and gentlemen for attending this PC today. I would like to address the problem with E:E and the yeti first. It is broken. Ok, lets move on to our next huge project that Im sure you have seen growing next to the MK... the DVC tower. *golf clap* Ready to open in...."

is that how it would go? :D

SleepingMonk

I don't think anyone has the real story on this, as even something like a cracked foundation would be such a huge liability they would have to shut the ride for repair. Even with the Yeti in B mode and with no movement it would pose a huge risk with a damaged support structure.

joel_maxwell

Again, not really "soon". It HAS been operating daily since november of 2005.
I agree with your statement. Playing devils advocate though.. if I were to tell you in Nov of 05 that it would run until spring of 08 and the AA would either have failed structural supports or foundation, I think we would have all said that isnt long enough for the money that was spent on it and being one of the main show components.

I would like to know what the engineering specs were on lifespan of it. If a 747 has a fuselage life span of 25-30 years (not talking about the engines) with all its stress, what was the original specs of how long this AA would last in service.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think it's something that needs to be fixed. The coaster is a good coaster, but it's a theme park coaster, not an amusement park coaster. What's the point of a theme if Yeti is broken?

ridetech939

As someone who work inside the industry (for a different company) I see several possible scenarios

Scenario 1
Yeti has unforeseen problems over an extended period of time. Maintenance has been installing lots of expensive replacement parts using up 100% of the budget. Maintenance is told to hold off on doing anything else to the Yeti until after September 30. October 1 begins the new fiscal year and maintenance goes back to work repairing the yeti.

Scenario 2
Expedition Everest has been running hard and heavy all year with Disney’s Animal Kingdom experiencing record attendance. Maintenance has been replacing various parts on the ride such as wheels, axels, chain dogs, brake brass, drive tires, etc. Cost of replacement parts has gone up due in part to the rise in fuel costs. Expensive replacement parts are also needed for the Yeti. Not enough budget money for both the roller coaster portion of the ride and the Yeti animatronic. Maintenance told to hold off on Yeti until after October 1st. October 1 begins the new fiscal year and maintenance goes back to work repairing the Yeti.

Scenario 3
Structural fatigue cracks start to appear in the Yeti itself or the frame that supports it. In order to avoid a catastrophic failure the Yeti is put into B mode or taken offline entirely until the root cause of the problem can be determined and an economically viable solution can be found. (Alternate Scenario: Yeti remains offline forever)

Scenario 4
Yeti works as designed about 90% of the time. Management is looking to cut costs, and the Yeti is expensive to maintain or operate. Management asks Imagineering to look into ways of cutting the cost to maintain the Yeti. The Yeti is taken offline until future notice.

Any one, none, or a combination of the above could be what is happening. Chances are we will never know for sure as those in the know are not really going to want to share with us.

--Sean

iellis14

Original Poster
As has been mentioned several times in this thread, the Yeti requires a certain timeframe between each performance. The number of trains has no impact on this. If the 5th train arrives before the recycle time, the Yeti will not function and that train will see the static mode.

Ok, what ever you say "ADMIN". You have your opinions and I have mine. But which do you belive. The CM "my excuse". Or the ADMIN'S

Vernonpush

As someone who work inside the industry (for a different company) I see several possible scenarios

Scenario 1
Yeti has unforeseen problems over an extended period of time. Maintenance has been installing lots of expensive replacement parts using up 100% of the budget. Maintenance is told to hold off on doing anything else to the Yeti until after September 30. October 1 begins the new fiscal year and maintenance goes back to work repairing the yeti.

Scenario 2
Expedition Everest has been running hard and heavy all year with Disney’s Animal Kingdom experiencing record attendance. Maintenance has been replacing various parts on the ride such as wheels, axels, chain dogs, brake brass, drive tires, etc. Cost of replacement parts has gone up due in part to the rise in fuel costs. Expensive replacement parts are also needed for the Yeti. Not enough budget money for both the roller coaster portion of the ride and the Yeti animatronic. Maintenance told to hold off on Yeti until after October 1st. October 1 begins the new fiscal year and maintenance goes back to work repairing the Yeti.

Scenario 3
Structural fatigue cracks start to appear in the Yeti itself or the frame that supports it. In order to avoid a catastrophic failure the Yeti is put into B mode or taken offline entirely until the root cause of the problem can be determined and an economically viable solution can be found. (Alternate Scenario: Yeti remains offline forever)

Scenario 4
Yeti works as designed about 90% of the time. Management is looking to cut costs, and the Yeti is expensive to maintain or operate. Management asks Imagineering to look into ways of cutting the cost to maintain the Yeti. The Yeti is taken offline until future notice.

Any one, none, or a combination of the above could be what is happening. Chances are we will never know for sure as those in the know are not really going to want to share with us.

--Sean
The most sensible post here.

Ok, what ever you say "ADMIN". You have your opinions and I have mine. But which do you belive. The CM "my exuce". Or the ADMIN'S
The most non-sensible post here.

:lol:

joel_maxwell

Definitely taking the "ADMIN's" here....

Alot of people have tried to tell you why 5 trains wouldnt matter, and im not about to try again.
Reminds me of one of those math problems that resemble this:

5 trains leave the station in 4 minutes, if the conductor can blow his horn every 35 seconds, how many blown horns would you hear in 4 minutes?

:D

iellis14

Original Poster
Definitely taking the "ADMIN's" here....

Alot of people have tried to tell you why 5 trains wouldnt matter, and im not about to try again.

Once again it was not the 5 trains that broke it. But have you ever thought about this just a opinion. I know it takes 35 seconds to restart the yetti but maybe with only 4 trains on the track. Cause it was not untill later on that they figured out that they needed to add that fifth train. So when the kept running that fifth train the yetti tried keep up with the shows and BOOM. Just an opinion.

Reminds me of one of those math problems that resemble this:

5 trains leave the station in 4 minutes, if the conductor can blow his horn every 35 seconds, how many blown horns would you hear in 4 minutes?

:D

6.8 if you are asking about 1 train or if you are asking about all 5 trains at the same time that left the station then it would be 34. lol

Am I right? :shrug:

Kamikaze

Once again it was not the 5 trains that broke it. But have you ever thought about this just a opinion. I know it takes 35 seconds to restart the yetti but maybe with only 4 trains on the track. Cause it was not untill later on that they figured out that they needed to add that fifth train. So when the kept running that fifth train the yetti tried keep up with the shows and BOOM. Just an opinion.

Its fine that you have an opinion, but just because you have one doesn't mean its correct.

Montyboy

I agree with your statement. Playing devils advocate though.. if I were to tell you in Nov of 05 that it would run until spring of 08 and the AA would either have failed structural supports or foundation, I think we would have all said that isnt long enough for the money that was spent on it and being one of the main show components.

I would like to know what the engineering specs were on lifespan of it. If a 747 has a fuselage life span of 25-30 years (not talking about the engines) with all its stress, what was the original specs of how long this AA would last in service.
This is an excellent post and a good analogy. We are assuming that the yeti has a structural failure. (This may be wrong, but it is reasonable since the repair seems to be taking so long.) The structure should have been designed for an infinite life.
Hydraulics and bearings have a statistical life. That is why their maintenance has to be in a budget.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You`re not getting what has been said - a 5th train wouldn`t mean the Yeti tries to keep up. Every now and then one train out of the five would not see the Yeti move at all whilst the pressure is built for it to move again. The intervals between movements would reach a finite peak when the show control system wouldn`t allow him to move anymore until ready.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom