Duggars 1st grandchild arrives

trr1

Original Poster
1st grandchild arrives for TLC's Duggars
bcd774aa-21d8-4bab-8c67-d1003c8057ba.jpg

10/09/2009 1:01:10 PM

The next generation of Duggars has arrived.
According to The Learning Channel, Mackynzie Renee Duggar was born at 6:39 p.m. Thursday. Mackynzie is the first child of Josh and Anna Duggar and the first grandchild for Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, stars of TLC's "18 Kids and Counting."
Mackynzie's birth comes as Michelle Duggar is pregnant with her 19th child. She is due in March.
Josh, the eldest of Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar's children, is 21. He and Anna married last fall.
The network says Anna Duggar and Mackynzie are doing well. The baby weighed 8 pounds and was 19.5

tigsmom

Heard that on the radio yesterday. Not really a fan of the show, but it's nice to see some good old fashioned family values out there. Congratulations to them!

miles1

Sorry to all you supporters of the Duggars, but I find this whole thing a little irresponsible and self-serving. (Not for Josh and Anna, yet, but for their parents.) It's wonderful to bring a child into this world; we've done it twice ourselves. I also thinks its great that God has given them the means to support 19 kids. However, if God has given you the means to support that many children, wouldn't it be more responsible to help some of the millions of kids in the world that are already here and desperately need it?

My DW's employer, a prominent cardiologist, runs a non-profit that takes teams of doctors to Russia and Vietnam to treat the many orphaned and institutionalized kids in those countries. The stories he comes back with are absolutely heart breaking. If the Duggars love children the way they say they do, maybe they can channel their resources into a charity like this, or even adopt some of those kids.

On top of that, the Duggars acknowledge that they couldn't possibly take care of all their infants without the help of their older children. Sorry, but that's just not fair to the older kids. One of them could very well become a great physician, writer, artist, or government leader, but they'll never be able to explore their interests because they're spending their time caring for the younger sibs.

In the end, the Duggars keep having kids because they enjoy it, not for the good of the kids.

As my Irish grandmother would say, "Next time she should slam the window on it."

maggiegrace1

Sorry to all you supporters of the Duggars, but I find this whole thing a little irresponsible and self-serving. (Not for Josh and Anna, yet, but for their parents.) It's wonderful to bring a child into this world; we've done it twice ourselves. I also thinks its great that God has given them the means to support 19 kids. However, if God has given you the means to support that many children, wouldn't it be more responsible to help some of the millions of kids in the world that are already here and desperately need it?

My DW's employer, a prominent cardiologist, runs a non-profit that takes teams of doctors to Russia and Vietnam to treat the many orphaned and institutionalized kids in those countries. The stories he comes back with are absolutely heart breaking. If the Duggars love children the way they say they do, maybe they can channel their resources into a charity like this, or even adopt some of those kids.

On top of that, the Duggars acknowledge that they couldn't possibly take care of all their infants without the help of their older children. Sorry, but that's just not fair to the older kids. One of them could very well become a great physician, writer, artist, or government leader, but they'll never be able to explore their interests because they're spending their time caring for the younger sibs.

In the end, the Duggars keep having kids because they enjoy it, not for the good of the kids.

As my Irish grandmother would say, "Next time she should slam the window on it."
I disagree...granted there are many children that need to be adopted..but if I could and chose to have them all naturally and as many as God would allow..then I would choose to do that over adopting also. That is my choice..not that there is anything wrong with adopting but I would not do that personally..and I have that choice.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have more kids because THEY want to and THEY enjoy it.

It is their lives and they can do whatever they choose.

As for the other kids helping..so.:shrug:..their are many people who have kids where the oldest will help with the youngest or take care of the other kids for their parents sometimes.

These kids can be anything they choose to be when they grow up..they are not stopping them from being whatever they want to be to take care of the other kids.

The oldest is married with a child of his own and owns a business with his wife..he did that and helped care for the other children also.

You mention your wife's employer takes people to other countries to care for the kids there..why don't they help the many orphaned kids here?

Kind of the same thing you are saying about the Duggars isn't it?

Who are we to say Why don't they do this or why don't they do that?

As long as they are not using the government to help support their kids then keep them coming if you choose to and can do that.

I think that if they have the love, and support in all ways to have as many children as they choose to and that they can raise all those kids the way they seem to be doing with the 18 they already have..that is pretty fantastic in my book and should do whatever they choose.

To raise 18 kids who are loving and caring and smart and have the beliefs that they do and have so much respect for their elders and other people..then I think that the Duggars can teach many other people a thing or two.:shrug:

I am sure this thread will have may people from both sides commenting and hopefully it will not get ugly but I just needed to say my opinion on the whole thing before it got locked..:wave:

Laura

Premium Member
To raise 18 kids who are loving and caring and smart and have the beliefs that they do and have so much respect for their elders and other people..then I think that the Duggars can teach many other people a thing or two.:shrug:

Yup. There's no way in heck I could ever criticize them. They have the best behaved, sweetest, most loving family on the planet. I only have 2 kids to raise and I don't do nearly the job they do.

Not to mention, it's no one's business how many kids a couple chooses to have so long as they are supporting them and taking care of them.

kstella

I really admire the Duggars and their dedication to their beliefs. The children are all well behaved and respectful, even in situations where they are completely out of their element. The children all have aspirations to go on and have careers. Granted, Michelle has had a much easier time of things since she had all those girls who are now teenagers and willing and able to step in and take charge, but the younger boys all also have household duties and Jim-Bob is always around to help her. The kids also have skills that most teenagers don't. There was the one episode where they were helping their friends add on to their house and the girls were laying tile. I am concerned for Michelle's health as she keeps having children now that she's in her 40's but her doctor says she's okay and she has prenatal care. I do think they go a bit overboard with shielding their kids from pop culture, but that's just my opinion.

Lucille

The Duggars aren't saying "we want to have 25 kids" or whatever. They keep having children because they do not believe in using birth control (although they did use it many years ago. They blame a miscarriage on her using birth control in the past.) They will have as many children as God gives them. I just hope they keep Michelle's health in mind as she's getting older.

I like the Duggars. I definitely don't have a lot of the same beliefs as them. There are many things they do, that I wouldn't do. But I don't care how they choose to live their lives. It doesn't effect me at all. I think they seem like loving parents. Their kids seems like pretty normal kids. They seem happy.

I absolutely HATE when people make comments implying people should adopt rather than bring their own children into the world. Adoption is GREAT. But I don't see what's wrong with people wanting to have their own children, if they are able to.

And of course they are having children because they want to. What's wrong with that? Isn't that why most people choose to have children?

GrannyJill2

I'm between a rock and hard place when it comes to all those Duggars. On the one hand, I'm glad the kids were wanted and loved. I'm also glad that the children appear well-behaved, responsible, trustworthy, clean, brave, reverent, thrifty...in other words, model citizens.

I certainly don't mean to doomsay, but somewhere in that pile of Duggars is going to be one or maybe two kids who may turn out to be irresponsible, untrustworthy, irreverant, and trouble with a capital T. I hope I'm wrong and all is well in the years to come.

Erika

Cute baby!

The Duggars aren't saying "we want to have 25 kids" or whatever. They keep having children because they do not believe in using birth control (although they did use it many years ago. They blame a miscarriage on her using birth control in the past.) They will have as many children as God gives them. I just hope they keep Michelle's health in mind as she's getting older.

I like the Duggars. I definitely don't have a lot of the same beliefs as them. There are many things they do, that I wouldn't do. But I don't care how they choose to live their lives. It doesn't effect me at all. I think they seem like loving parents. Their kids seems like pretty normal kids. They seem happy.

Agreed, and I did read where she had mentioned that about the miscarriage from BC pills.

In all honesty, in comparison to some of the families I have seen out there, I am not going to complain about a few extra Duggars in the world :lol: -- at least they seem to be hardworking, respectful, and kind.

I know this is a subject that stirs up a lot of strong feelings so please keep the TOS in mind, or this will be locked. I've already had to delete one post so far.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

I dont know who or what the hell a Duggars is... and personally.. I dont care. :lol: :shrug:

But this I do agree with you on. It was forced upon me and my sister to help raise my much younger half brother and half sister, and step brother. It was NOT fun. I was forced to be an adult (and forced to raise these kids, since my stepmonster was an inept loser) much sooner than I wanted to be. It just wasnt fair to me or my real sister. :mad: :(

Eventually I just left the house at age 16-17... finished HS and started on my broadcast career while still in HS. :king: :sohappy:

Had I NOT done that... I would of not had such a career. :(

So yes.. I agree with you on that. :wave:
:sohappy:

sbkline

I disagree...granted there are many children that need to be adopted..but if I could and chose to have them all naturally and as many as God would allow..then I would choose to do that over adopting also. That is my choice..not that there is anything wrong with adopting but I would not do that personally..and I have that choice.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to have more kids because THEY want to and THEY enjoy it.

It is their lives and they can do whatever they choose.

As for the other kids helping..so.:shrug:..their are many people who have kids where the oldest will help with the youngest or take care of the other kids for their parents sometimes.

These kids can be anything they choose to be when they grow up..they are not stopping them from being whatever they want to be to take care of the other kids.

The oldest is married with a child of his own and owns a business with his wife..he did that and helped care for the other children also.

You mention your wife's employer takes people to other countries to care for the kids there..why don't they help the many orphaned kids here?

Kind of the same thing you are saying about the Duggars isn't it?

Who are we to say Why don't they do this or why don't they do that?

As long as they are not using the government to help support their kids then keep them coming if you choose to and can do that.

I think that if they have the love, and support in all ways to have as many children as they choose to and that they can raise all those kids the way they seem to be doing with the 18 they already have..that is pretty fantastic in my book and should do whatever they choose.

I am sure this thread will have may people from both sides commenting and hopefully it will not get ugly but I just needed to say my opinion on the whole thing before it got locked..:wave:

I agree with Dana on this.

And I'll add, in regards to the older children helping to raise the younger, that they seem to be perfectly happy and content to do so.

Even if I had the means to support such a family, I don't think I would want any more than 5 or 6, but that's just me. If they are happy, and have the means to support their family without sponging off the government, then more power to them. And as far as casting judgement on them as to why they spend their resources bringing all these kids into the world when there are so many homeless out there, let's not forget what this messageboard is all about and why we're here. We're here because we enjoy WDW and choose to spend oodles of money to go there. Others could cast judgement on us as to how we could be so selfish as to spend all this money for such entertainment, when there are people out there sleeping in piano crates, and children out there who only get one meal every couple days or so. Others could cast judgement on us for wasting time on a messageboard talking about WDW, when we could be using that time helping in a soup kitchen or doing volunteer work. Each and every one of us can cast judgement on someone else for how they spend their money, or use their time, but ultimately, God is the judge and not us.

Lucille

I agree with Dana on this.

And I'll add, in regards to the older children helping to raise the younger, that they seem to be perfectly happy and content to do so.

Even if I had the means to support such a family, I don't think I would want any more than 5 or 6, but that's just me. If they are happy, and have the means to support their family without sponging off the government, then more power to them. And as far as casting judgement on them as to why they spend their resources bringing all these kids into the world when there are so many homeless out there, let's not forget what this messageboard is all about and why we're here. We're here because we enjoy WDW and choose to spend oodles of money to go there. Others could cast judgement on us as to how we could be so selfish as to spend all this money for such entertainment, when there are people out there sleeping in piano crates, and children out there who only get one meal every couple days or so. Others could cast judgement on us for wasting time on a messageboard talking about WDW, when we could be using that time helping in a soup kitchen or doing volunteer work. Each and every one of us can cast judgement on someone else for how they spend their money, or use their time, but ultimately, God is the judge and not us.

Well said.

GrannyJill2

But this I do agree with you on. It was forced upon me and my sister to help raise my much younger half brother and half sister, and step brother. It was NOT fun. I was forced to be an adult (and forced to raise these kids, since my stepmonster was an inept loser) much sooner than I wanted to be. It just wasnt fair to me or my real sister. :mad: :(

Some kids take very well to being responsible for younger sibs, and some resent it with every fiber of their being. Since this is all these Duggars know, they may have no problems as long as they stay in their insulated world.

sbkline

I dont know who or what the hell a Duggars is... and personally.. I dont care. :lol: :shrug:

Eventually I just left the house at age 16-17... finished HS and started on my broadcast career while still in HS. :king: :sohappy:

Had I NOT done that... I would of not had such a career. :(

So yes.. I agree with you on that. :wave:

But you're forgetting a crucial difference in your scenario vs the Duggar scenario. Your reference to half-siblings, step siblings, and your reference to your step mother as "step monster" all indicate a broken home and strife and discord in the home. The Duggars, however, are a very happy family, where the father and mother are very much in love and the kids all know that their parents love them and they all love each other, and there aren't all kinds of divorces and remarraiges, resulting in all the "steps" and "halves" that we have in alot of families these days.

The Duggar kids seem to be perfectly happy with their lives and have no interest in living the way some of you on this board think they should live. Even if, as someone else put it, they were to see what it's like outside of their "insulated worlds", that doesn't mean that they would like what they see on the other side.

For some reason, we all like to feel sorry for people who don't have the same kind of lifestyle that we have, or that we think a person should have, yet many of those people are perfectly happy and content. Before my Mom died, she and Dad never went on any trips. They would go out to eat fairly often, but other than that, their ideal routine was just to stay home all the time and never go anywhere. I like to go places and I found their lifestyle incredibly boring and felt like they should go out and roadtrips, just because that is MY ideal lifestyle. But that doesn't mean that it's ideal for them.

Some of my family think that I'm wasting a college education and not living up to my potential just because I'm working at Walmart. I, however, am perfectly happy and content with my job, even if I don't have the ideal job that some of you, and some of my family, think one should pursue. So I'm not a Doctor, or a lawyer, or a CEO or anything like that. So what? I'm happy and content with my job and what I do for a living, even if others in my family cast judgement on me for "just working at Walmart".

It's very easy to cast judgement on the Duggar parents and pity the Duggar kids because they are "stuck" having to take care of their younger siblings. But it looks to me like they would have it no other way and that they are perfectly content with where they are in life. I'm sometimes tempted to feel sorry for the Amish because of their "boring" lifestyle...no TV, wearing silly clothes, not experiencing life beyond their collective, etc. But I just have to remind myself that just because I'm happy in my lifestyle, that doesn't mean someone else would be, and just because I find another lifestyle boring, that doesn't mean that those people can't be perfectly happy and content where they're at.

maggiegrace1

But you're forgetting a crucial difference in your scenario vs the Duggar scenario. Your reference to half-siblings, step siblings, and your reference to your step mother as "step monster" all indicate a broken home and strife and discord in the home. The Duggars, however, are a very happy family, where the father and mother are very much in love and the kids all know that their parents love them and they all love each other, and there aren't all kinds of divorces and remarraiges, resulting in all the "steps" and "halves" that we have in alot of families these days.

The Duggar kids seem to be perfectly happy with their lives and have no interest in living the way some of you on this board think they should live. Even if, as someone else put it, they were to see what it's like outside of their "insulated worlds", that doesn't mean that they would like what they see on the other side.

For some reason, we all like to feel sorry for people who don't have the same kind of lifestyle that we have, or that we think a person should have, yet many of those people are perfectly happy and content. Before my Mom died, she and Dad never went on any trips. They would go out to eat fairly often, but other than that, their ideal routine was just to stay home all the time and never go anywhere. I like to go places and I found their lifestyle incredibly boring and felt like they should go out and roadtrips, just because that is MY ideal lifestyle. But that doesn't mean that it's ideal for them.

Some of my family think that I'm wasting a college education and not living up to my potential just because I'm working at Walmart. I, however, am perfectly happy and content with my job, even if I don't have the ideal job that some of you, and some of my family, think one should pursue. So I'm not a Doctor, or a lawyer, or a CEO or anything like that. So what? I'm happy and content with my job and what I do for a living, even if others in my family cast judgement on me for "just working at Walmart".

It's very easy to cast judgement on the Duggar parents and pity the Duggar kids because they are "stuck" having to take care of their younger siblings. But it looks to me like they would have it no other way and that they are perfectly content with where they are in life. I'm sometimes tempted to feel sorry for the Amish because of their "boring" lifestyle...no TV, wearing silly clothes, not experiencing life beyond their collective, etc. But I just have to remind myself that just because I'm happy in my lifestyle, that doesn't mean someone else would be, and just because I find another lifestyle boring, that doesn't mean that those people can't be perfectly happy and content where they're at.
I agree 100%:eek:

I thin it may snow in Louisiana now....;):lol::p

dznygirl64

Im taking bets on when the Duggers will crash and burn like all the other families on TLC and Discovery do.First there was the American chopper family money and fame did them in,next Jon and Kate fame and money did them in,Little people big world are heading down that same path.So when will the Duggers crash and burn? You know it will happen

Kelle0702

I think everyone has valid points it really is a tricky waters to navigate when talking about The Duggers. The thing about the older kids helping to raise the younger is to them thats the normal, thats how they live and were raised. To the rest of us it seems odd but in all honesty who are we to judge whats odd. :shrug:
I do feel bad for the girls in the family I just feel like they almost live in an environment that teaches them women are just supposed to have babies and take care of the home, but thats because I was raised to believe women can do anything.

sbkline

I think everyone has valid points it really is a tricky waters to navigate when talking about The Duggers. The thing about the older kids helping to raise the younger is to them thats the normal, thats how they live and were raised. To the rest of us it seems odd but in all honesty who are we to judge whats odd. :shrug:
I do feel bad for the girls in the family I just feel like they almost live in an environment that teaches them women are just supposed to have babies and take care of the home, but thats because I was raised to believe women can do anything.

That's why I loathe the feminist movement so much. The movement is so obsessed with trying to prove the point that women can do whatever they want, that they've made it into something shameful for a woman to be happy being a homemaker and mother. If a woman chooses to stay at home and raise the kids and take care of the home, and her daughters are brought up to be happy in that role, people "feel sorry for them", because the mindset of the day is that the house and the kids are less important than a woman's need to prove her independence and prove to the world how much she can do.

In the perfect world that I envision, the man would go off to work and the woman would stay home with the kids, as it is in the Duggar home. Unfortunately, that isn't the reality for most people, including my wife and I. We both work at Walmart and there is no way in the world that I could afford to provide for the family on Walmart income. Granted, I've been there 12 years and make well about minimum wage, but still nowhere near what it would take to comfortably support my family on one income. We normally run monthly deficits as it is. But if, by some stroke of divine providence, we were to win a hefty chunk in the lottery, my wife and I both be thrilled to death for her to be able to quit her job and stay home with the kids.

Unlike the current politically correct mindset, my wife was brought up to think it's something beautiful for a woman to be able to stay home and watch the kids grow up. Her mom quit work when she had her first child, and she never felt the desire to go back and have a job, and my wife would like nothing more than to do the same. In fact, in some ways, it's the man who gets the short end of the stick in my "perfect world". The man has to go out and work and only sees the kids in the morning and evening and misses out on alot, whereas the mother gets to watch the kids grow up and be part of pretty much everything they do. But of course, as I said, the feminist movement has made the children less important than work when it should be the other way around. A stay at home Mom should be proud of what she does, and not be made to feel ashamed or pitied just because she doesn't go out trying to prove something to the world.

Wilt Dasney

That's why I loathe the feminist movement so much. The movement is so obsessed with trying to prove the point that women can do whatever they want, that they've made it into something shameful for a woman to be happy being a homemaker and mother. If a woman chooses to stay at home and raise the kids and take care of the home, and her daughters are brought up to be happy in that role, people "feel sorry for them", because the mindset of the day is that the house and the kids are less important than a woman's need to prove her independence and prove to the world how much she can do.

In the perfect world that I envision, the man would go off to work and the woman would stay home with the kids, as it is in the Duggar home. Unfortunately, that isn't the reality for most people, including my wife and I. We both work at Walmart and there is no way in the world that I could afford to provide for the family on Walmart income. Granted, I've been there 12 years and make well about minimum wage, but still nowhere near what it would take to comfortably support my family on one income. We normally run monthly deficits as it is. But if, by some stroke of divine providence, we were to win a hefty chunk in the lottery, my wife and I both be thrilled to death for her to be able to quit her job and stay home with the kids.

Unlike the current politically correct mindset, my wife was brought up to think it's something beautiful for a woman to be able to stay home and watch the kids grow up. Her mom quit work when she had her first child, and she never felt the desire to go back and have a job, and my wife would like nothing more than to do the same. In fact, in some ways, it's the man who gets the short end of the stick in my "perfect world". The man has to go out and work and only sees the kids in the morning and evening and misses out on alot, whereas the mother gets to watch the kids grow up and be part of pretty much everything they do. But of course, as I said, the feminist movement has made the children less important than work when it should be the other way around. A stay at home Mom should be proud of what she does, and not be made to feel ashamed or pitied just because she doesn't go out trying to prove something to the world.
I don't think this is a direct response to Kelle0702's post. As best I can tell, she said she felt sorry for the Duggar girls because they are likely to be denied the opportunity to decide for themselves whether they'd rather pursue a career, a family, or some balancing act of the two. (Whether that's true or not, I can't say. I don't watch the show enough to judge.)

Your issue seems to be with people who look at women who, in your judgment, have chosen a domestic life of their own free will and after being presented with all alternatives and feel pity and scorn.

There's an important distinction there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom