DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

asianway

I went to the adventurers club a few times and on those times I saw the Same Library show and the same main show (nothing different except a few times the actors were thrown off the script by a random drunk person, Not me).. Now I went to the Comedy Warehouse numerous times and saw a different show each time.

The unique moments usually came in the Salon where the actors interacted with the guests and would stage impromptu skits with them, sing songs, or maybe even have a little fun at a newcomers expense. Even within the regular shows, there were spots for audience participation and adlib.

Every actor played each character a little differently, and different combinations had unique chemisty. A Gabby Pamelia with a Lancelot Otis Radio Broadcast was a different, yet equally entertaining experience than Yvette Pamelia with Blondie Otis.

And if you stayed late enough, each maid had a different show, and the HOOPLA! was always different.

Very tough to put into words, especially without sounding like one of the much maligned fanboys. These things only became apparent after multiple visits. Some of us had the opportunity to enjoy the experience, and to the rest of the curious, I highly recommend you go to Youtube and check out some of the videos featuring different casts.

Also, going back to the comments about PI only opening at night, from 1989 until 2001 I think, the shops, like DTV, Avigators Supply, etc would open with the rest of the marketplace and be free until the turnstyles were put in place at 7pm.

Any successful business venture needs advertising. Going back to the early 2000s, PI had been relegated to less than 30 seconds on the "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah tip of the day" resort loop with no real specifics on what the clubs were, just some blanket night time entertainment verbage.

Simple fact is, theres no need to have PI open and operating at a profit, even if it is a small one when there are plenty of people lining up to drop $50 for after hours parties to get their "free" candy and hot cocoa elsewhere on property.

rickmusic53

According to Screamscape, Starbillas (on the corner by the new balloon) has marked the store down 40% and has a lease about to expire. May follow Virgin on the way out. Also has a rumor that the McDonalds may be closing. :shrug:

That's gonna be one long Cupid Shuffle to distract guests from all those empty buildings.

Mcdonalds is going away. Almost all of them are gone and have been replaced.

jt04

There has been a major disagreement with McDonalds, McDonalds is already gone.

But wdw74 just said today it wasn't going anywhere. Ahhh, who to believe?

And I said on here a day or two ago it would not fit in with the revised DTD concept. :shrug:

:zipit:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
How will we cope without Ronald or his wares?

There is two issues PI (and the Boardwalk) fail because Disney dont have an Fing clue how to cater for adults. They are so transfixed with pushing this kiddy friendly image they have forgotten the no kid crew.

The shopping area is something I have come to avoid, over priced generic merchandise for the Mouse and loads of tat that Id never buy from every other outlet.

HoB has let standards drop, Cirque is OK but how many times can you watch the same show, and I dont go on holiday to take in movies I could watch when its ing down at home. And Ill ignore the unsupervised tatty crèche that is Disney Quest.

Yes I enjoyed the adventurers, and Comedy club, but the rest was pretty dross,IMHO of course, Raglan Road has no appeal what so ever there are plenty of Plastic Paddy bars everywhere so its hardly a unique experience.

Much prefer the more grown up City Walk.

wilsonhanks

How will we cope without Ronald or his wares?

There is two issues PI (and the Boardwalk) fail because Disney dont have an Fing clue how to cater for adults. They are so transfixed with pushing this kiddy friendly image they have forgotten the no kid crew.

The shopping area is something I have come to avoid, over priced generic merchandise for the Mouse and loads of tat that Id never buy from every other outlet.

HoB has let standards drop, Cirque is OK but how many times can you watch the same show, and I dont go on holiday to take in movies I could watch when its ing down at home. And Ill ignore the unsupervised tatty crèche that is Disney Quest.

Yes I enjoyed the adventurers, and Comedy club, but the rest was pretty dross,IMHO of course, Raglan Road has no appeal what so ever there are plenty of Plastic Paddy bars everywhere so its hardly a unique experience.

Much prefer the more grown up City Walk.

Dude, they should make a Stitch Adventure game at DD similar to the Kim Possible one at Epcot, that could cause families to tour the entire comlpex having fun while seeing all that DD has to offer! I am amazed they have not done this yet.

Stitch is such a great character, he can fit storyline in just about any place of Disney.

For example, imagine being on the jungle cruise, your passing the section of the scattered camp gear. It would be soooooo much better if Stitch was caught going through stuff, then had a dialogue with the skipper before running into the trees for the next boat.

It would be imperative that they keep Lilo away and just use Stitch at DD though, people love his spitting statue above World of Disney :fork::fork:

dsnyfreak

I don't think we can blame EVERYTHING on the current economic conditions hitting third party vendors. True, a lot are experiencing tough times, but, City Walk is full of third party vendors. How many empty buildings are sitting there?

I think this is all part of some sort of plan for DTD. But what that plan is, who the heck knows. Something tells me this will be WDW's version of Paradise Pier in the next few years. So, expect a ferris wheel to be announced.
that is exactly what I was thinking about. that would be cool if disney put in some cool pier type rides like that. they could use the westside since there is nothing there anyway but cirque. But like another post said maybe they have an idea in mind for the westside already and we just dont know about it.

jt04

So Disney just announced they are building a brand new DVC on the harbor in Washington DC. A new family friendly Disney enterprise on the water. Hmmm, where have I heard of that concept before.

Disney catering to families. How revolutionary.

PS- I predict this new DVC will be amazing. Plenty of activities and tours of DC, Mount Vernon, sailing, golf etc etc. Love it.

liquid toez

The simple solution is go do your shopping, dining, browsing, or whatever at DTD / PI during the day / early evening, then take the 15 minute drive to City Walk and enjoy the vibrant nightlife - capture the current best of both worlds.

jt04

The simple solution is go do your shopping, dining, browsing, or whatever at DTD / PI during the day / early evening, then take the 15 minute drive to City Walk and enjoy the vibrant nightlife - capture the current best of both worlds.

Of course. Everyone wins.

So any idea of what might replace McD's?

tirian

No matter how profitable the nightclub business is, PI hadn't turned a profit in years. It seemed busy on certain days, especially Thursday nights, but it was overrun with CP kids and freaky locals who thought the actors at the AC and CW were their personal court jesters.

Back in the 90s, PI was immensely popular and was not, as some have claimed, "Eisner's Folly." In fact, PI originally featured a roller rink for the family—not every family has three screaming brats in overpriced princess dresses. The roller rink closed because the clubs were extremely popular.

You have to remember, this was during the late 80s and early-mid 90s, when the dance scene was popular for everyone. Look at the awfully cheesy music videos from the time—that was considered cutting-edge and cool! Nowadays, clubbing in the U.S. mostly means "teenagers and niche demographics (like Goths)" unless you live in NYC, LA, or Miami. Disney tried attracting the teens by removing the ticket booths, and we all know how well that worked. :rolleyes:

IMO, the original PI worked for three reasons:
1. Disney opened it at a time when the Touchstone label was highly valuable. Roger Rabbit, The Rocketeer, D--- Tracy, and other films gave Disney a multifaceted public image that wasn't all about little kids. Disney wasn't making direct-to-video cheapquals and Mickey Mouse wasn't just the emcee for a preschool clubhouse.
2. Disney was still publicizing WDW as a resort for everyone, not just a castle for kids. EPCOT Center and the D-MGM Studios were highly advertised, and the MK wasn't character-centric like it is now (only FL really featured fairy tales).
3. The nightclub culture covered a huge demographic who wanted to dance like Michael, sing like Whitney, and flash their leg warmers, neon shirts, and ozone-depleting hairspray.

IMO, PI failed because...
1. Eisner eventually made Disney a cash-hungry, bloated corporation that forgot about imagination and creativity after TLM, BATB, Aladdin, and TLK made bucket-loads of money. Under his last few years, Disney films became synonymous with cheap, direct-to-video trash suitable only for babysitting.

2. WDW is advertised as a place where preschoolers' dreams come true, and you can choke on the magic as the magical lands of a magical world whisk you away into magic for a magical time. ;) We know WDW provides more than that, but during the 80s and 90s, everyone knew it. Disney advertised the MK, Epcot, the Studios, golfing, and PI. Now they advertise the castle, because that's how they can make money off the BB Boutique and dress sales.

3. The club culture shifted towards niche demographics. Music videos aren't popular (look at MTV) and the idea of being a dancing/singing/video star for a night doesn't attract people. We've shifted away from the "let's all dance" culture of the 80s and 90s to one of "let's watch the kids on AI and the pros on 'Dancing with the Stars.'" Meanwhile, although groups of people do still enjoy the club scene, most of them aren't interested in a Disney version. Disney refused to reinvest and make PI attractive toward the new club scene, and PI failed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom