DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

EPCOT Explorer

Quick question:

To where, was it rumored that AC pieces were headed? Tokyo or HK? I know it was OLC related...

...becuase if this is going to Tokyo, it:
  1. really makes the resort the best ever. Fanboy heaven.
  2. is very apparent where it is going. :lookaroun
  3. makes me very jealous. See point 1.

jt04

You are contradicting yourself now because just about everything you propose can be found around any major city in America. If it works at City Walk, it can work at PI. PI came first and was successful...if not, City Walk wouldn't exist today.

All Disney had to do was maintain their clubs better, keep the gates up, and go back to the things that made PI special...a backstory and daily celebration of New Years Eve.

No, I think that has been debunked. No city has everything in one place as presented at DTD.

That is what I am saying, it wasn't "special" to enough people. CM's and fanbois just couldn't keep it going. And the last thing Disney will do is lock itself into another restrictive backstory.

EPCOT Explorer

No, I think that has been debunked. No city has everything in one place as presented at DTD.

That is what I am saying, it wasn't "special" to enough people. CM's and fanbois just couldn't keep it going. And the last thing Disney will do is lock itself into another restrictive backstory.

:lol: I find that's what actually helps them.

But what are you referring to?

And I'm terribly sorry if this becomes too many questions. This is a good thread.:D

jt04

I think WDW Park Ops and TDO LET it be killed.

Funny how EPCOT Center draws parallels with this...

They never get rid of anything that benefits the bottom line. PI did not make money. Horizons was too expensive to maintain......:zipit:

And on that compelling note, I'm outta here

See you real soon!:D

jt04

:lol: I find that's what actually helps them.

But what are you referring to?

And I'm terribly sorry if this becomes too many questions. This is a good thread.:D

I've already explained that. But if your local mall locked all of it's tenants into a backstory and that backstory became out of style.... that would be a big problem. Just using the "mall" as a rough analogy.

EPCOT Explorer

They never get rid of anything that benefits the bottom line. PI did not make money. Horizons was too expensive to maintain......:zipit:

And on that compelling note, I'm outta here

See you real soon!:D
Because of the lack of sponsorship!!:rolleyes::lol:

:wave: Have a good night, jt.
I think it's funny that people on this thread are advocating a Paradise Pier in WDW when the one in DCA is much maligned.

Post Refurb.:lookaroun:lol:

And it is a nice idea, if executed the right way. And if AC comes back. :lol: I could even think of a nice back-story to get it in there...

CaptainMichael

I've already explained that. But if your local mall locked all of it's tenants into a backstory and that backstory became out of style.... that would be a big problem. Just using the "mall" as a rough analogy.

The backstory of PI never went out of style. The clubs just got outdated and not updated.

EPCOT Explorer

:shrug::shrug:

When did that go out of style? Kinda timeless if you ask me.

Lee

Adventurer
PI was a realization of the fact that the definition of family is different for everyone. My family consists of my parents (late 40's), my sister (15), and myself (22). PI (CW and AC specifically) would be a perfect option for us now. My point being, family doesn't have to conform to the stereotype of a husband, wife, and 2.5 kids. Families come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

Your definition of family is as much of a creation of current Disney marketing as "magic"
Yep. Post of the day.
My family: Me and the Mrs., both 40. No kids and like it that way.
PI (and of course AC) was a haven, an oasis, a wonderful place to go when the parks closed.
Seriously, if everything on Disney property was appropriate for and geared towards kids....I wouldn't be there. What makes it wonderful, and what makes it work for people like me, is that there is something for everyone.
Now, much less of something for me.:(

EPCOT Explorer

Yep. Post of the day.
My family: Me and the Mrs., both 40. No kids and like it that way.
PI (and of course AC) was a haven, an oasis, a wonderful place to go when the parks closed.
Seriously, if everything on Disney property was appropriate for and geared towards kids....I wouldn't be there. What makes it wonderful, and what makes it work for people like me, is that there is something for everyone.
Now, much less of something for me.:(

And nor would EPCOT, Aspects of DAK, DHS, even parts of MK....

hrcollectibles

This is exactly the point I made in my letters to management asking that the club be reopened. MILF, Turtle Talk, Stitch's whatchamajiggie, are all trying to do exactly what the AC already did, and well -- make each show different so that repeat visitors would indeed see something different each time.

Can't say that I agree with those who say there is no way Disney can find something that will better serve guests than the AC did, but I would say it is highly unlikely they'll find anything as unique, enjoyable, and in keeping with the Disney ideals and the current Living Character Initiative.

But you never know. I'll wait and see, and give whatever goes in there a chance. My expectations are low, so it won't be too hard for Disney to exceed them.

I went to the adventurers club a few times and on those times I saw the Same Library show and the same main show (nothing different except a few times the actors were thrown off the script by a random drunk person, Not me).. Now I went to the Comedy Warehouse numerous times and saw a different show each time.

jakeman

So, I'm a pretty happy guys usually and look to base most of my opinions on fact and reason.

I watched PI for about 10 years, from my college program in 1999 until they closed it. Not really closely, but I spent alot of time at DTD and saw the different methods at PI.

Either management couldn't manage a snail race, or Disney intentionally killed PI. Given that I have demonstrated that I don't think TDO are idiots like some folks around here, I would lean towards they killed it.

For what purpose? I don't have that answer, but the way it was managed in its waining years was, to me at least, to get a certain result. That result being a loss of revenue to justify its closure.

EPCOT Explorer

So, I'm a pretty happy guys usually and look to base most of my opinions on fact and reason.

I watched PI for about 10 years, from my college program in 1999 until they closed it. Not really closely, but I spent alot of time at DTD and saw the different methods at PI.

Either management couldn't manage a snail race, or Disney intentionally killed PI. Given that I have demonstrated that I don't think TDO are idiots like some folks around here, I would lean towards they killed it.

For what purpose? I don't have that answer, but the way it was managed in its waining years was, to me at least, to get a certain result. That result being a loss of revenue to justify its closure.
Coming from you, that speaks volumes.:D:lol:

teebin

You truly could be a PR hack. Are you sure WDW as a whole was meant to have something for everyone or every last thing must be for any conceivable age group? There always were adult offerings at the Resorts since day one so how is PI any different?

I'm sure golf courses can be enjoyed by toddlers, who could also rent boats on Bay Lake to see the people with ornithophobia visit Discovery Island while grade schoolers enjoy the fine dining at the Empress Lily instead of seeing their disabled grandparents try and scale the Swiss Family Treehouse.

What about a Pooh Playground which states it's only for ages 2-5? That's worse than PI by anyone's standards but was built in 2004, not 1989. Not to menation various activities only for kids ages 3-9 that exist today or AI's prize not begin for people over the age of 30.

nah, you are full of ________. Walt wanted clean streets and happy times for children and adults; not one OR the other. The Walt Disney Company on the other hand has wanted to test the waters of what it could be financially, somewhat regardless of any ideal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
PI failed because it forgot the family.
C'mon, PI failed because TDO wanted it to. They had ample options at every turn but drove it their way. Into the ground.

Disney forgot the family with the Matterhorn - the first restrictive attraction. Not to mention BTM, RnRC, TOT, SM Paris, E:E, M:S....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom