DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

hrcollectibles

I agree with you about third party vendors to an extent. Although others have and continue to do well in DTD. Disney has the ability to develop it's own properties. And even if Cirque left, Disney would then potentially have the theater for it's broadway productions so many here have expressed the desire to see. And since those shows can be rotated it will always be fresh.

Wouldn't mind seeing HoB leave so that facility could be converted into the PatF restaurant while still offering sophisticated New Orleans flavored entertainment. :)

As for McD's, let's just hope the rumor is true. Nothing against them but it just doesn't "fit" with where DTD is heading.

Whats PatF?

hrcollectibles

I don't think we can blame EVERYTHING on the current economic conditions hitting third party vendors. True, a lot are experiencing tough times, but, City Walk is full of third party vendors. How many empty buildings are sitting there?

I think this is all part of some sort of plan for DTD. But what that plan is, who the heck knows. Something tells me this will be WDW's version of Paradise Pier in the next few years. So, expect a ferris wheel to be announced.

Or maybe demolish it and put up another DVC Resort..

I say give us some gambling locations... :) Heck at least a lottery ticket vendor

CaptainMichael

Walt wanted a place where families could experience fun and exciting adventures together. PI did the exact opposite.

Anybody who thinks PI was in keeping with that goal is being absurd.

Wasted away again in Paradisio 37....

puffing away at that Cigar bar....

some people claim that it's family friendliness to blame for the closing of the Disney clubs...

but we know, it's really just about profits!

Animaniac93-98

Walt wanted a place where families could experience fun and exciting adventures together. PI did the exact opposite.

Anybody who thinks PI was in keeping with that goal is being absurd.

You truly could be a PR hack. Are you sure WDW as a whole was meant to have something for everyone or every last thing must be for any conceivable age group? There always were adult offerings at the Resorts since day one so how is PI any different?

I'm sure golf courses can be enjoyed by toddlers, who could also rent boats on Bay Lake to see the people with ornithophobia visit Discovery Island while grade schoolers enjoy the fine dining at the Empress Lily instead of seeing their disabled grandparents try and scale the Swiss Family Treehouse.

What about a Pooh Playground which states it's only for ages 2-5? That's worse than PI by anyone's standards but was built in 2004, not 1989. Not to menation various activities only for kids ages 3-9 that exist today or AI's prize not begin for people over the age of 30.

jt04

You truly could be a PR hack. Are you sure WDW as a whole was meant to have something for everyone or every last thing must be for any conceivable age group? There always were adult offerings at the Resorts since day one so how is PI any different?

I'm sure golf courses can be enjoyed by toddlers, who could also rent boats on Bay Lake to see the people with ornithophobia visit Discovery Island while grade schoolers enjoy the fine dining at the Empress Lily instead of seeing their disabled grandparents try and scale the Swiss Family Treehouse.

What about a Pooh Playground which states it's only for ages 2-5? That's worse than PI by anyone's standards but was built in 2004, not 1989. Not to menation various activities only for kids ages 3-9 that exist today or AI's prize not begin for people over the age of 30.

PI was a seperate ticket for 21 and over. There is nothing that you mention that deliberately divides the family. PI did. I remember riding along in a golf cart when I was kid. Not playing just tagging along. If a grandparent can't make it up SFT the parent could take the child. There are no rules against it. The playground is limited for safety reasons. Again it is designed for families. You are just being absurd.

PI was Eisner's folly.

jt04

Sarcasm, yes? It`s common knowledge PI was designed especially not for kids but for their parents and other high teens onwards.

No. Everyone knows that. That is why I call it Eisner's folly. And evidently that is a sore point with people judging by the emotional reactions it has caused.

CaptainMichael

PI was Eisner's folly.

The closing of PI was TDO's folly, and I'm sure they are all kicking themselves right now. Especially now that exisiting 3rd parties are falling like dominos around DTD...

Eisner took a big risk with PI (same think Walker did with EPCOT and Walt with Disneyland)...the kind of thing that Disney needs to do more of these days. Bob Iger is no risk taker.

jt04

The closing of PI was TDO's folly, and I'm sure they are all kicking themselves right now. Especially now that exisiting 3rd parties are falling like dominos around DTD...

Eisner took a big risk with PI (same think Walker did with EPCOT and Walt with Disneyland)...the kind of thing that Disney needs to do more of these days. Bob Iger is no risk taker.

PI failed because it forgot the family.

If TDO can't fill those venues (which I seriously doubt) then it is because of a lack of will or vision. I don't think that is the case.

Oh, and I also hope it is not the case for those charged with the transition.

EPCOT Explorer

PI was a seperate ticket for 21 and over. There is nothing that you mention that deliberately divides the family. PI did. I remember riding along in a golf cart when I was kid. Not playing just tagging along. If a grandparent can't make it up SFT the parent could take the child. There are no rules against it. The playground is limited for safety reasons. Again it is designed for families. You are just being absurd.

PI was Eisner's folly.

To play along with the "PR Hack" line of thought, one could say that that ideology only applies to Disneyland Park, or the theme parks as a whole.

PI, and WDW for that matter is a whole new beast. Unique. You can't compare that quote that I know you are thinking of to this situation. ;)

Apple's Vs. Oranges.

CaptainMichael

If TDO can't fill those venues (which I seriously doubt) then it is because of a lack of will or vision. I don't think that is the case.

PI was a realization of the fact that the definition of family is different for everyone. My family consists of my parents (late 40's), my sister (15), and myself (22). PI (CW and AC specifically) would be a perfect option for us now. My point being, family doesn't have to conform to the stereotype of a husband, wife, and 2.5 kids. Families come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

Your definition of family is as much of a creation of current Disney marketing as "magic"

EPCOT Explorer

We need that, but we need smarts, too. I must say though, closing PI is not smart.

I beg to differ. PI was doing quite well in the early 90's. I wonder what happened? It was forgotten. Much like EPCOT Center, and it's capabilities.

jt04

To play along with the "PR Hack" line of thought, one could say that that ideology only applies to Disneyland Park, or the theme parks as a whole.

PI, and WDW for that matter is a whole new beast. Unique. You can't compare that quote that I know you are thinking of to this situation. ;)

Apple's Vs. Oranges.

I honestly don't think so.

CaptainMichael

We need that, but we need smarts, too. I must say though, closing PI is not smart.

I beg to differ. PI was doing quite well in the early 90's. I wonder what happened? It was forgotten. Much like EPCOT Center, and it's capabilities.

Oh no doubt. Disney used to be proactive...now, they are just reactive.

Somewhere along the line, Disney forgot what made them successful. You have to keep reinventing yourself, you have to be innovative, and you cannot rest on your laurels. The PI concept was amazing and unique, and I very much wish I could have experienced it in 1989.

jt04

Citywalk and other options killed it I think. It may have made some money at one time but it was never a great success. Many people experienced it once and after that it was..."meh, I can go to a club and drink at home". Why would they waste precious time at WDW with partying that can be done in every city in America just about? :shrug:

And the CM's just weren't able to keep it afloat with their patronage.

By the way, Citywalk is not the cash cow some people on this board seem to think it is.

CaptainMichael

Why would they waste precious time at WDW with partying that can be done in every city in America just about? :shrug:

You are contradicting yourself now because just about everything you propose can be found around any major city in America. If it works at City Walk, it can work at PI. PI came first and was successful...if not, City Walk wouldn't exist today.

All Disney had to do was maintain their clubs better, keep the gates up, and go back to the things that made PI special...a backstory and daily celebration of New Years Eve.

EPCOT Explorer

Citywalk and other options killed it I think. It may have made some money at one time but it was never a great success. Many people experienced it once and after that it was..."meh, I can go to a club and drink at home". Why would they waste precious time at WDW with partying that can be done in every city in America just about? :shrug:

And the CM's just weren't able to keep it afloat with their patronage.

By the way, Citywalk is not the cash cow some people on this board seem to think it is.

I think WDW Park Ops and TDO LET it be killed.

Funny how EPCOT Center draws parallels with this...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom