Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

tigsmom

Well I weighed myself today just for laughs... I managed to lose 2 pounds! Its the first time in over a month that I've been able to do that. maybe the medications are startting to kick in! :sohappy:

WDWScottieBoy

Mad, now that's it pushed back to July 1st do you want to join back in?

I got on the scale this morning and it said I weighed 180 (with clothes on and before going to the bathroom :lookaroun) so I was thrilled.

Since it's July 1, that means I can lost a lot more.

Should we make this into a competition of sorts and have the winner get something Disney related? I'll throw in a couple dollars to help the cause. :wave:

speck76

ltmsho050516.gif

tigsmom

WDWScottieBoy said:
Mad, now that's it pushed back to July 1st do you want to join back in?

I got on the scale this morning and it said I weighed 180 (with clothes on and before going to the bathroom :lookaroun) so I was thrilled.

Since it's July 1, that means I can lost a lot more.

Should we make this into a competition of sorts and have the winner get something Disney related? I'll throw in a couple dollars to help the cause. :wave:

Scottie, I won't know until the second week in June if my meds have to be changed again (thats when I have my blood levels taken), if that happens I'm back to square one.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
MouseMadness said:
I've set my goal at a solid ten by July 1st.

That's about what I'm shooting for, but the more I lose, the more I realise I need to lose. I could probably lose about 40 pounds and still have some fat left.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
WDWScottieBoy said:
Gary, feel free to add Melissa to the list since we're dieting together. Her username is Ditzeechick02.

Are you sure she's going to want to post her photo? I can add her, but just double check and make sure she knows what you're putting her up to first.

WDWScottieBoy

Don't worry Gary. I told her everything she needed to know about it before I posted that. She was standing right beside me as I posted it anyways. We'll probably take our picture together. So no worries!

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
WDWScottieBoy said:
Don't worry Gary. I told her everything she needed to know about it before I posted that. She was standing right beside me as I posted it anyways. We'll probably take our picture together. So no worries!

Okay, updated. And that gets us back to 11.:sohappy:

WDWScottieBoy

So we gain another month, gain another member, and that means in the end we'll have lost a lot more weight together!

What does everyone think about a competition going with this? Try to have some fun with it and get everyone working a little harder for something Disney related as a prize?

speck76

9681066.jpg

ABOUT THE BOOK
Don't Eat This Book
FROM OUR EDITORS
By now, the entire Western world knows the story of Morgan Spurlock's McExperiment: To test the health effects of fast food consumption, the young filmmaker indulged himself with an all-McDonald's diet for 30 days. By the end of the month, the results were painfully apparent: Spurlock had gained 25 pounds; his blood pressure had skyrocketed; and his libido had all but evaporated. His documentary Super Size Me captured his ballooning condition in award-winning fashion. Don't Eat This Book takes his fast-food addiction out on the road, as Spurlock travels across the country, visiting schools, hospitals, and private homes to investigate how our sleazy eating habits and the declining emphasis on health and physical education are undermining our well-being. He interviews surgeons-general, lawmakers, health researchers, and physicians on our girth-expanding diets and even queries pint-sized kids on their eating preferences. A muckraking main course.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
The literary debut of the funniest and most incisive new voice to come along since Michael Moore-and the acclaimed director of the film phenomenon of the year.

Can man live on fast food alone? Morgan Spurlock tried to do just that. For thirty days, he ate nothing but three "squares" a day from McDonald's as part of an investigation into the effects of fast food on American health. The resulting documentary won him resounding applause and a worldwide release that broke box-office records. Audiences were captivated by Spurlock's experiment, during which he gained twenty-five pounds, his blood pressure skyrocketed, and his libido all but disappeared.

But this story goes far beyond Spurlock's good-humored "Mc-Sickness." He traveled across the country-into schools, hospitals, and people's homes -to investigate school lunch programs, the marketing of fast food, and the declining emphasis on health and physical education. He looks at why fast food is so tasty, cheap, and ultimately seductive, and what Americans can do to turn the rising tide of obesity, hypertension, and diabetes that have accompanied its ever-growing popularity. He interviewed experts in twenty U.S. cities-from surgeon generals and kids to lawmakers and marketing gurus-who share their research, opinions, and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth and what we can all do to offset a health crisis of supersized proportions.

In this groundbreaking, hilarious book, "benevolent muckraker" Morgan Spurlock debuts a wry investigative voice that will appeal to anyone interested in the health of our country, our children, and ourselves.

Author Bio: Morgan Spurlock is a writer, director, and producer, and in 2004 he was awarded the Best Director prize at the Sundance Film Festival.
FROM THE CRITICS
Publishers Weekly
Fact-packed and funny, this offshoot of Spurlock's Oscar-nominated documentary Super Size Me serves both as a substitute for and addition to the movie. Spurlock spent a month not exercising and eating nothing but food from McDonald's, filming his declining health and ballooning size. It was a terrific premise for a movie; the book provides even more of its backstory and outtakes. Spurlock describes America's obesity epidemic, its relation to the fast food industry, the industry's cozy relations to U.S. government agencies and how the problem is spreading worldwide. He details the long-term and often fatal (albeit well-known) health hazards of the high-fat, high-sugar, factory-farmed fast food diet combined with the sedentary lifestyle prevalent among Americans. The statistics, while grim, aren't as compelling as Spurlock's often humorous descriptions of his own gradual disintegration into exhaustion, mood swings, liver deterioration and high blood pressure as his month progresses. Spurlock's wisecracks make the statistic-laden information easily digestible and possibly useful as a classroom text. He includes inspiring examples of schools that provide healthy, local (even student-grown) food in their cafeterias, and offers lists of resources for parents and educators wanting to make changes in their own communities. Spurlock is surprisingly optimistic about the future, and his book is a powerful tool in his rip-roaring campaign to turn around America's love-hate relationship with fast food. Agent, Elyse Cheney Literary. (May 19) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
Library Journal
In his Academy Award-nominated documentary, Super Size Me, Spurlock gave us a firsthand look at the effects of a McDonald's diet, using himself as a guinea pig. Here, he describes that experience and takes to task McDonald's in particular and the fast food industry in general for their shameless advertising, lobbying, and public relations tactics; he also exposes organizations supporting the fast food industry that claim to know what constitutes a healthy diet. In his view, the expansion of McDonald's into Asia, Europe, and Africa is causing the breakdown of traditional diets and the rise of obesity and related illnesses in countries where it was formerly minimal or nonexistent. In discussing the widespread use of fast food in schools, he points to the differences in student health and performance when the schools replace these foods with healthy fare. Sidebars throughout complement the text with facts and figures placing the fast food dilemma in a broader perspective. Readers interested in a comprehensive look at the fast food industry's influence on our eating habits and fans of Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation and Marion Nestle's Food Politics will eagerly digest this book. Recommended for public libraries. [See Prepub Alert, LJ 10/1/04.]-Irwin Weintraub, Brooklyn Coll. Lib., NY Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.

Debbie

Well I started last Monday, May 9th. I've lost 12 lbs :). I'm not setting any goal for the end of June; just hopefully I will sweat alot more off by the end of August. I know that if I continue to lose weight; I will stay pumped to continue even after my girlfriend's wedding. Bad enough, she picked a strapless dress for us and I'm afraid I'll look like a stuffed sausage. Off to get another 16oz of water......

MouseMadness

Well, I know she had quite a significant amount to lose (from what she said) and it goes a lot quicker at first, if you have a lot. But yeah, that's a LOT! :lol:

Do share you secret, Debbie! (Don't give me any of this "eating sensibly and exericising" garbage, either! REVEAL YOUR MAGICAL DIET PILL!! ) :lookaroun

:lol: :p

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Debbie said:
Well I started last Monday, May 9th. I've lost 12 lbs :). I'm not setting any goal for the end of June; just hopefully I will sweat alot more off by the end of August. I know that if I continue to lose weight; I will stay pumped to continue even after my girlfriend's wedding. Bad enough, she picked a strapless dress for us and I'm afraid I'll look like a stuffed sausage. Off to get another 16oz of water......

:sohappy: Keep going!

I just realized it's been exactly 1 year since I started weighing myself (my chart goes back to May 20, 2004). I was 196 this morning which is the lowest I've been over that time, but I haven't lost nearly as much as I would have liked. I'm hoping to be close to 185 by July 1st.

barnum42

MouseMadness said:
Do share you secret, Debbie! (Don't give me any of this "eating sensibly and exericising" garbage, either! REVEAL YOUR MAGICAL DIET PILL!! ) :lookaroun
No pills for me, but low fat or low carb and exercise with a heart rate monitor is what worked for me. Three sessions a week of at least an hour or so. Though this week I've had a lurgey that has prevented the exercise.

The heart rate monitor lets you work at peak fat burning pace, which is a surprisingly relaxed pace, hence being able to do it for at least and hour without much trouble.

Debbie

MouseMadness said:
Well, I know she had quite a significant amount to lose (from what she said) and it goes a lot quicker at first, if you have a lot. But yeah, that's a LOT! :lol:

:lol: :p

Phentermine 37.5mg, which is the generic of Adipex. I've been on Adipex before when I went to the doctor for weight loss but at $180.00 per month; I couldn't stay on it. This is $90.00 for three months.
Before anyone fusses let me say this: Since I was 18, I would take a Dexatrim every morning. It helped control my hunger, and considering I managed a deli/bakery, controlling impulse tasting can be a challenge, especially when you are REALLY hungry. Then a friend of mine found a doctor that would prescribe Adipex. I went since according to weight charts I should weigh 125 lbs and at the time I weighed 160. Now mind you that I was 125 lbs when I was born......... I actually lost the weight that I wanted to and went down to 145 lbs. From that point, I went back to Dexatrim, and maintained that weight until I got pregnant at 27. I went back on Dexatrim after the baby and it took 20 months to take off what took 10 months to put on. After my second son was born, I was 31, and tried the Dexatrim, but the lowest I could get down to was 180. Then it was uphill from there, Dexatrim was taken off the market, problems set in and I dealt with alot of stress with a bowl of ice cream etc, (you get the picture). Here I am now.....I'm very comfortable with who I am, and I think that what's inside is what counts. But I also know that my blood pressure could start giving me a problem, and that can be a whole new can of worms. I am very active; as most of you know, I sweat all day, scrubbing apartments. I just couldn't eat sensibly and exercise. I exercise all day long, I would take a turkey/mustard/wheat bread sandwich for lunch. A piece of toast for breakfast and still wouldn't lose anything. By 3pm, I'm starving, and it's hard to make good food choices when you are that hungry. This stuff I'm on gives me the chance to make good, reasonable food choices, and it's easier to consume a smaller portion when you aren't really that hungry. Plus, I drink plenty more water on this stuff.

MouseMadness

Debbie said:
Phentermine 37.5mg, which is the generic of Adipex. I've been on Adipex before when I went to the doctor for weight loss but at $180.00 per month; I couldn't stay on it. This is $90.00 for three months.
Before anyone fusses let me say this: Since I was 18, I would take a Dexatrim every morning. It helped control my hunger, and considering I managed a deli/bakery, controlling impulse tasting can be a challenge, especially when you are REALLY hungry. Then a friend of mine found a doctor that would prescribe Adipex. I went since according to weight charts I should weigh 125 lbs and at the time I weighed 160. Now mind you that I was 125 lbs when I was born......... I actually lost the weight that I wanted to and went down to 145 lbs. From that point, I went back to Dexatrim, and maintained that weight until I got pregnant at 27. I went back on Dexatrim after the baby and it took 20 months to take off what took 10 months to put on. After my second son was born, I was 31, and tried the Dexatrim, but the lowest I could get down to was 180. Then it was uphill from there, Dexatrim was taken off the market, problems set in and I dealt with alot of stress with a bowl of ice cream etc, (you get the picture). Here I am now.....I'm very comfortable with who I am, and I think that what's inside is what counts. But I also know that my blood pressure could start giving me a problem, and that can be a whole new can of worms. I am very active; as most of you know, I sweat all day, scrubbing apartments. I just couldn't eat sensibly and exercise. I exercise all day long, I would take a turkey/mustard/wheat bread sandwich for lunch. A piece of toast for breakfast and still wouldn't lose anything. By 3pm, I'm starving, and it's hard to make good food choices when you are that hungry. This stuff I'm on gives me the chance to make good, reasonable food choices, and it's easier to consume a smaller portion when you aren't really that hungry. Plus, I drink plenty more water on this stuff.

Oh!! So you are taking something! :lol: :eek:

Let me state, for the record, that I find nothing wrong with this at all. :) Nothing wrong with knowing when you need a little extra help, and obviously, it's working!! I was stupid enough to try the phen fen (or fen phen? ) when it was huge and before it was killing people (got it, um... from mexico :zipit: ) Well, not only did it not work, but then of course I was scared to death when I heard all the stories coming out. But I was young(er) and stupid(er) then. ( I was on the depoprovera shot for birth control... and literally within a week of getting off that stuff I dropped ten pounds. I swear on my life! Of course, I got pregnant within a month of going off of it... :lookaroun :lol: )

Er... anyway... Keep up the good work, Debbie. :) I'm glad it's helping you out.

And I lost another half pound this week. Not as much as I'd like, but better than nothing, and definitely better than going the other direction!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom