Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

JBSLJames

Original Poster
Re-starting the low-carb run today. Not really gaining weight, just not losing any. I think I've convinced myself that with the extra exercise, I can have more to eat. Funny how the mind works. Going to start with a pretty aggressive 2 weeks limit of carbs and, based on where I am, slowly add back in some fruits (berries) and some whole grain breads.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
JBSLJames said:
Re-starting the low-carb run today. Not really gaining weight, just not losing any. I think I've convinced myself that with the extra exercise, I can have more to eat. Funny how the mind works. Going to start with a pretty aggressive 2 weeks limit of carbs and, based on where I am, slowly add back in some fruits (berries) and some whole grain breads.

My problem is getting past the mindset that I'm doing okay. Even if I work out like crazy and eat normally, I won't lose. I have to get pretty drastic to actually lose.

Having a date to focus on helps me get motivated.

speck76

New food Pyramid

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

One size doesn't fit all. MyPyramid Plan can help you choose the foods and amounts that are right for you. For a quick estimate of what and how much you need to eat, enter your age, ______, and activity level in the MyPyramid Plan box.

For a detailed assessment of your food intake and physical activity level, click on MyPyramid Tracker.

Use the advice "Inside MyPyramid" to help you

Make smart choices from every food group,
Find your balance between food and physical activity, and
Get the most nutrition out of your calories.

speck76

Study: Gov't overstated danger of being overweight

The Associated Press
Posted April 19, 2005, 4:02 PM EDT

CHICAGO -- Being overweight is nowhere near as big a killer as the government thought, ranking No. 7 instead of No. 2 among the nation's leading preventable causes of death, according to a startling new calculation from the CDC.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated today that packing on too many pounds accounts for 25,814 deaths a year in the United States. As recently as January, the CDC came up with an estimate 14 times higher: 365,000 deaths.

The new analysis found that obesity -- being extremely overweight -- is indisputably lethal. But like several recent smaller studies, it found that people who are modestly overweight actually have a lower risk of death than those of normal weight.

Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population. Also, Americans classified as overweight are eating better, exercising more and managing their blood pressure better than they used to, she said.

The study -- an analysis of mortality rates and body-mass index, or BMI -- was published in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

Based on the new calculation, excess weight would drop from the second leading cause of preventable death, after smoking, to seventh. It would fall behind car crashes and guns on the list of killers.

Calculating the health effects of obesity has been a major source of controversy at the CDC.

Last year, the CDC issued a study that said being overweight causes 400,000 deaths a year and would soon overtake tobacco as the top U.S. killer. After scientists inside and outside the agency questioned the figure, the CDC admitted making a calculation error and lowered its estimate three months ago to 365,000.

CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding said because of the uncertainty in calculating the health effects of being overweight, the CDC is not going to use the brand-new figure of 25,814 in its public awareness campaigns and is not going to scale back its fight against obesity.

"There's absolutely no question that obesity is a major public health concern of this country," she said. Gerberding said the CDC will work to improve methods for calculating the consequences of obesity.

Dr. JoAnn Manson, chief of preventive medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, said she is not convinced the new estimate is right.

"I think it's likely there has been a weakening of the mortality effect due to improved treatments for obesity," she said. "But I think this magnitude is surprising and requires corroboration."

The analysis was led by Katherine Flegal, a senior research scientist with the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics. The study that had to be corrected was conducted by a different arm of the CDC, the Division of Adult and Community Health, and its authors included Gerberding.

One major reason for the far lower number in this latest study is that it used more recent data, researchers said.

"This analysis is far more sophisticated," said Kovar, who was not involved in the new study. "They are very careful and are not overstating their case."

A related study, also in Wednesday's JAMA, found that overweight Americans are healthier than ever, thanks to better maintenance of blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Diabetes is on the rise among people in all weight categories, however.

Flegal said the two studies raise questions about what definitions to use for obesity and "where to draw the line." Under current government standards, a BMI, or weight-to-height measurement, of 25 or higher is overweight; 30 and above is obese.

In recent years, the government has spent millions of dollars fighting obesity and publicizing the message that two out of three American adults are overweight or obese, and at higher risk for heart disease, arthritis and diabetes.

MouseMadness

speck76 said:
The Associated Press
Posted April 19, 2005, 4:02 PM EDT

A related study, also in Wednesday's JAMA, found that overweight Americans are healthier than ever, thanks to better maintenance of blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Diabetes is on the rise among people in all weight categories, however.

Wonder how many drugs they're having to take to "maintain" :rolleyes:

Anyway, down a pound and a half, mostly from really stepping up my weight training. :) I decided if I gotta be there, I may as well make it worth my time. None of this "light resistance, high reps" crap. :lol: And it works, it seems. Been sick the past couple days, but I plan to do my pilates today (has everybody tried this? I'm telling you... it'll do wonders for your back!) and hopefully I'll feel up to the gym by tomorrow. :wave:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
MouseMadness said:
Wonder how many drugs they're having to take to "maintain" :rolleyes:

Anyway, down a pound and a half, mostly from really stepping up my weight training. :) I decided if I gotta be there, I may as well make it worth my time. None of this "light resistance, high reps" crap. :lol: And it works, it seems. Been sick the past couple days, but I plan to do my pilates today (has everybody tried this? I'm telling you... it'll do wonders for your back!) and hopefully I'll feel up to the gym by tomorrow. :wave:

:sohappy:

I've been increasing the weight also. For a long time, I was trying lighter weights, but it just never feels like I get a real workout that way. When I use heavier weights, I can feel it the next day.

I say go heavy until you start looking like Arnold S., and then you can always cut back some.:lol:

And I keep seeing the word "pilates" everywhere, but I have absolutely no idea what they are. I'm guessing it's some kind of pastry filled with fruit.:veryconfu

tigsmom

garyhoov said:
:sohappy:

I've been increasing the weight also. For a long time, I was trying lighter weights, but it just never feels like I get a real workout that way. When I use heavier weights, I can feel it the next day.

I say go heavy until you start looking like Arnold S., and then you can always cut back some.:lol:

And I keep seeing the word "pilates" everywhere, but I have absolutely no idea what they are. I'm guessing it's some kind of pastry filled with fruit.:veryconfu

I had a trainer once who told me to lift a weight over my head. If it was too easy to move up a pound or so. Lift until you were sure you couldn't do another, then do one more. :dazzle:

I'm working on healthier as I've given up on ever being thinner.

Pilates is an exercise program that was invented in the 1920s and involved the use of certain machines to work various parts of the body. It has seen a resurgence lately, though in a somewhat modified form. I've tried it (have a very good DVD program) but I was unable to do most of the reps and could not walk the next day. :(

MouseMadness

garyhoov said:

:lol: Well, I started watching how much weight other women at the gym use, the ones who look REALLY good :lookaroun :lol: and I realized they were at least doubling, if not tripling how much I was lifting!! It was funny yesterday, though, I reached over and picked up something, and Andy says "Jeez! Your back!" I said "What?" He said "It totally shredded when you flexed!"

Both of us: :lookaroun ... :lol: :lol:

garyhoov said:

LMAO I wish!! It's hard to describe... most is done on the mat, focuses on your "core", abs, back, hips, butt, but hits them in a way crunches just can't match. REALLY helped my back after having Leah. (Too many babies in too short a time, I think. Lot of pain :( ) I use the Gaiam series, they have a beginner and intermediate level dvd/vhs available. I highly recommend you try. :wave:

WDWScottieBoy

Just checking in to say I've lost 15+ pounds thus far on my diet and can't wait to lose about 30 more.

I went from a waist size of 34, to getting new ones yesterday with waist size of 31. :sohappy:

barnum42

Today I tried on some 36" waist chinos and they were too baggy :D I was up to 40" waist two years ago. I now have very little in my wardrobe. Most trousers are 38"+

Somehow despite Easter break, the breaking of my ski machine and a little overeating I did not gain any weight. With the ski machine back I've lost maybe a pound.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Sounds like you're both doing great!

I've never bought anything over 36 - even when 36 was way too tight. I got to a point where I had all 36's, but I could only wear about 5 pair that were cut bigger than the others.:eek:

Right now all my 36's fit loosely, and I can get into 34's (but, for the sake of humanity, I shouldn't). I'd like to get back to 30, but that may be hoping for too much. If I can get to at least comfortably fit in 32's, I'll gladly buy all new pants.

JBSLJames

Original Poster
I'd be stoked if I could get into 32 or 34 jeans. I know that 200 pounds may be the most likely goal. That would be my 'wedding weight' as the women like to call it and I think I would be healthier and happier at that point. Sure I'd love to get to 185 but I think that may be a stretch. The good news is I've pushed my Bench Press from 215 to 285. 300 is just around the corner.

If I could weigh 200 punds but have some thickness, I think that would work

WDWScottieBoy

Congrats to everyone thus far. Gary, I'd do anything to get back into a size 30 jean, it seems like it's been a long time since that ever happened.

I never thought I'd lose this much and this fast. Of course, I'm a lot taller than the first time I lost a lot of weight and seeing someone that's just around 6 foot tall being any less than a 30 or so, might look a bit too skinny. I want to have some "flab" on me because I don't like the people who are bone skinny.

Keep it up to everyone, seems like we're on a roll. (Or maybe, we're minus a few rolls)

tigsmom

Me ---->
008.gif

crazycalf

barnum42 said:
I'm a pound or two away from 13 stone now (that British for 182 lbs)
That makes you sound a lot lighter, at least to me.
I guess I would be about 14 stone, 198 lbs.
I think I like 14 stone better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom