Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

barnum42

Originally posted by tigsmom
Not really carb loaded, but processed meats are loaded with sodium and god knows what else.
I'm not a big hot dog fan, but again I see sodium being labelled as bad. I’ve gone back through the thread but there is only mention of “we all know sodium is bad for you”. I don’t know – would you be kind enough to explain.

As for who-knows-what in a “meat” product, we have kebab vans over here where it’s best you do not know what comprises the lump that is spinning on a spit.

tigsmom

Originally posted by barnum42
I'm not a big hot dog fan, but again I see sodium being labelled as bad. I’ve gone back through the thread but there is only mention of “we all know sodium is bad for you”. I don’t know – would you be kind enough to explain.

As for who-knows-what in a “meat” product, we have kebab vans over here where it’s best you do not know what comprises the lump that is spinning on a spit.

Not a detailed explanation, but enough to get the idea...

Read about excessive sodium intake dangers

My mother in law always tells me never to tell anyone whats in a recipe or they will never eat it. Somebody always hates something. :rolleyes:

tigsmom

Well, excessive sodium causes water retention and that causes weight gain, but its the overall efect on the body that everyone is trying to avoid. Your body needs sodium to function, the trick is finding a balance.

Erika

I think with hot dogs, the danger is in the nitrates. Same as bacon. Moderation!

John has a bone to pick with Atkins this morning. It seems the price of milk is going up and he is a 2-gallon a week drinker. :eek: They're saying the farmers can make more off of beef now than from dairy. Which raises another question- as Atkins becomes more popular- how is this going to affect the farming industry? If I remember the stats correctly from the "Save the environment and stop world hunger and yippee for Birkenstocks" club from high school (or whatever it was called :lol: ) the ratio is something like 15 lbs of grain to 1 lb of beef. So if Atkins gets too widespread, what will happen? :veryconfu

MouseMadness

This was emailed to me under the heading "I don't know if this is true or not." I'm guessing... probably is.

Water or Coke?

This is really an eye opener. We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is
often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost
100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day
could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer
by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is
50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons
of coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car
accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in
two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of
Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the
rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan,
wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the
Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of
greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The
Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It
will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches
calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in
osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of
their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?

And Erika, I have no idea! I do think that Atkins mania will fall as quickly as it rose. It's not a lifestyle for most people, but a crash diet. I stuck with it for 2 weeks once (my record length of time sticking to Atkins) and lost 14 pounds. But I just couldn't do it anymore after that. It was a quick means to an end, and after the weight was gone I just stuck with eating sensibly and never gained back a pound. But for the rest of my life, if not medically necessary? No way. I hate steak, lol. (I know, weird) And I'll maybe have hamburger once a week or so.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by MouseMadness

And now for the properties of COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons
of coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car
accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in
two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of
Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the
rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan,
wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the
Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of
greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The
Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It
will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches
calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in
osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of
their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?

And Erika, I have no idea! I do think that Atkins mania will fall as quickly as it rose. It's not a lifestyle for most people, but a crash diet. I stuck with it for 2 weeks once (my record length of time sticking to Atkins) and lost 14 pounds. But I just couldn't do it anymore after that. It was a quick means to an end, and after the weight was gone I just stuck with eating sensibly and never gained back a pound. But for the rest of my life, if not medically necessary? No way. I hate steak, lol. (I know, weird) And I'll maybe have hamburger once a week or so.

some of this stuff was proven to be a myth by the discovery channel's "Myth Busters" its a really fun show that goes around and tests urban ledgends and things like this. i dont remember what was correct but i do know it didnt polish the chrome on a car any better than chrome cleaner lol

MouseMadness

Yeah, I was skeptical about the "coke" stuff.... but the water, I've heard all those before, as said by doctors, not just emails, LOL! Any time there is any show on about weight loss the water is ALWAYS mentioned. To me getting enough water is more difficult that working out as much as I should.

tigsmom

Alot of the time people think they are hungry when all they really need is a glass of water. Thats why they tell you to have a glass of water & wait 10 minutes. Then if you still feel hungry have a small snack.

barnum42

All these stats saying to drink a certain number of glasses of water a day - they never telly you how big a glass! Glass sizes range from shot to yard:animwink:

Erika

All these stats saying to drink a certain number of glasses of water a day - they never telly you how big a glass! Glass sizes range from shot to yard:animwink:

I've been told 8 oz :wave:

barnum42

Originally posted by Erika
I've been told 8 oz :wave:
Believe it or not, it's illegal to sell 8oz glasses in the UK - and the rest of the EU. They are only allowed to sell metric glasses. Same goes for drinks. Only special rulings allow pubs to still sell a pint. But they can only sell a pint of Beer / Lager. I can't legally buy a pint of soda or juice. I have to buy 0.4something of a litre :hammer:

AliciaLuvzDizne

illegal??
as in
"What are you in for?"
"I sold 8oz of soda"

kinda like that seely's commercial where the sheep pulled off the tag of the mattress. LOL

barnum42

Originally posted by AliciaLuvzDizne
illegal??
as in
"What are you in for?"
"I sold 8oz of soda"
Ummm...Yes.

They will take you to court, if you don't pay the fine they I guess they will imprison you. There was a greengrocer in England who was prosecuted for selling fruit in pounds and ounces, found guilty and I think given a fine. I don’t think he intended to pay it. Not sure what happened next in the prosecution case. Unfortunately the poor soul died recently.

barnum42

Originally posted by tigsmom
On vacation, can you say "What diet?" :lol:
Lordy, I don't want to get on the scale when I get home. :(
On vacation it's the old "Sea Food Diet" gag. You see food and you eat it. :lol:

tigsmom

On vacation it's the old "Sea Food Diet" gag. You see food and you eat it. :lol:

:D Thats about it. The places we have been going have some great food...alligator last night. Kinda chewy, no real flavor. I've had some great burgers (and rolls), salads, fruit. Since its Good Friday is seafood tonight. :slurp:
Three more days and back to the real world.

JBSLJames

Original Poster
The latest Prevention Magazine had a couple more South Beach recipes in it. Some of this stuff looks to good to be diet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom