Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

Erika

Speck, see your dentist. If you're grinding you might need to be wearing a nightguard to bed. NOT the soft kind they have at the store, but a hard one made specifically to fit your teeth. With the soft ones, most people end up chewing on them all night and making things worse for their TMJ (that joint on either side of your jaw). The hard ones can run a few hundred dollars but they are cheaper than the work you'll end up needing if you keep grinding.

If you're not positive you are a grinder, your dentist will be able to tell by the wear patterns on your teeth.

Erika

tigsmom said:
Erika, if you are trying to indicate that you went all to hell at 25 please tell me how you climbed out...cause you don't look like hell now!

Aw, thanks!

You'd have to see where I came from: Eating nothing but junk food and still never gaining a pound! I was one of those girls everybody hated :lol: Ohhhhhhhh how I miss those days! I actually have to work out now, AND eat healthy stuff! How I miss the good old days :cry:

Then again, it's probably better this way. At least now I am forced into a healthier lifestyle.

speck76

Erika said:
Speck, see your dentist. If you're grinding you might need to be wearing a nightguard to bed. NOT the soft kind they have at the store, but a hard one made specifically to fit your teeth. With the soft ones, most people end up chewing on them all night and making things worse for their TMJ (that joint on either side of your jaw). The hard ones can run a few hundred dollars but they are cheaper than the work you'll end up needing if you keep grinding.

If you're not positive you are a grinder, your dentist will be able to tell by the wear patterns on your teeth.

Thanks for the info. I made an appointment with the denist for this friday....my dentist rocks...he is known as the "Star Trek" dentist, as the office looks like Star Trek threw-up all over it....it is pretty cool. I clench my teeth a lot while I am awake, but I do not knowingly grind. I have been under a lot of stress as of late, so I may be grinding in my sleep, but I do not really know. My mother has also had issues with TMJ, so if it is something that is inherited...I guess it could be possible.

I really hope the mouthguard is not something that will inhibit my sleep, as I have a hard enough time sleeping now.

speck76

Erika said:
Aw, thanks!

You'd have to see where I came from: Eating nothing but junk food and still never gaining a pound! I was one of those girls everybody hated :lol: Ohhhhhhhh how I miss those days! I actually have to work out now, AND eat healthy stuff! How I miss the good old days :cry:

I was like that too....when I was 25, I was less than 130 lbs, and for my height of 5'10''ish, I was like heroin thin....but then I quit smoking on my 25th birthday, transferred from a "always on the go" job to an office job, and I gained almost 70lbs within a year....I started smoking again within 2 years...as I thought it would help me lose some weight....not that I am suggesting than anyone smoke, but it worked, as I got back down to about 165...although I also cut most regular soda out of my diet, and I used to drink a ton of that crap. I quit smoking again (almost 3 weeks), and so far, my wieght is holding, but I am trying to be careful about what I eat.

Lil'mermaid

tigsmom said:
Keep up the good work. I've had a bit of a setback, but I'm still hanging in there. Katie, however has kept losing weight. :sohappy:

Yeah but like I've said, Im just not eating as much anymore. Same food, just less of it. My stomach must have shrunk. And am I the only one who can turn down cake three times?

Erika

speck76 said:
Thanks for the info. I made an appointment with the denist for this friday....my dentist rocks...he is known as the "Star Trek" dentist, as the office looks like Star Trek threw-up all over it....it is pretty cool. I clench my teeth a lot while I am awake, but I do not knowingly grind. I have been under a lot of stress as of late, so I may be grinding in my sleep, but I do not really know. My mother has also had issues with TMJ, so if it is something that is inherited...I guess it could be possible.

I really hope the mouthguard is not something that will inhibit my sleep, as I have a hard enough time sleeping now.

It's weird, but a lot of people who clench during the day find that wearing one at night somehow relaxes their jaw for the waking hours. It usually takes a while to get used to wearing one and people tend to find them under their pillows, across the room, or under the covers the first few mornings. But after that initial period, they can't fall asleep with out them!

2 second grinding test- if your front teeth are straight across at the bottom, there's a good chance you have worn away quite a bit of enamel. Your front teeth should be longer than the little ones on either side. Same goes for your eye teeth (and they should be somewhat pointy).

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Lil'mermaid said:
Yeah but like I've said, Im just not eating as much anymore. Same food, just less of it. My stomach must have shrunk. And am I the only one who can turn down cake three times?

Oh, I can turn down cake . . .

As long as it's not delicious chocolate cake wrapped around a creamy filling and encased in flaky chocolate shell. :slurp:

TRJS63.jpg

Lil'mermaid

garyhoov said:
Oh, I can turn down cake . . .

As long as it's not delicious chocolate cake wrapped around a creamy filling and encased in flaky chocolate shell. :slurp:

See, Im not really in to those either. If we have them, I'll eat one or two, but I dont miss them. Same with ice cream. That stuff hurts my teeth.

MouseMadness

LOL!! :lol: :lol:

My weakness is Reese's peanut butter cups. :slurp: :slurp: LOVE THEM!! And, peanut butter is good for you, no? :lookaroun

*steals the cake from the thread and runs away.... eating the cake* :lookaroun

actually, I've gotten up at 7:30 the past two days to work out (hey, it's summer break, 7:30 is pretty darn good!), I'm getting myself back on track now. :) Had a big couple weeks ending with a weekend that contained BOTH a wedding and a dance recital. So I basically lived on fast food for about a week and a half. :hurl: I'm hoping by the 4th of July I can be back where I was.

TravisMT81

speck76 said:
I was like that too....when I was 25, I was less than 130 lbs, and for my height of 5'10''ish, I was like heroin thin....but then I quit smoking on my 25th birthday, transferred from a "always on the go" job to an office job, and I gained almost 70lbs within a year....I started smoking again within 2 years...as I thought it would help me lose some weight....not that I am suggesting than anyone smoke, but it worked, as I got back down to about 165...although I also cut most regular soda out of my diet, and I used to drink a ton of that crap. I quit smoking again (almost 3 weeks), and so far, my wieght is holding, but I am trying to be careful about what I eat.
Speck you are just a mess LOL!!!! I do miss the waif look days, I gained a lot of weight when I moved to Florida for some reason. I blame it all on Aramark at work.

TravisMT81

speck76 said:
Aramark....I think that is why I never gained weight in college :hurl:

:D

Well my cafeteria at college had a great sandwich making station and I had wraps every single day. MMMMM good!!! Cafeteria at work only makes things that are deep fried and breaded lol!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom