Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
Now that I'm on "The List" I'm getting back into the Noridic habit. Low carbs took a dent at the weekend - drove to my folks for Father's day. Back on the straight and narrow today.

This October 1st photo - are we allowed to be, say 500 yards away from the camera? :lol:

I saw the first low carb items in my local Asda supermarket today - all of three snack bars tucked away amongst the headache tablets and pit spray. Still too expensive for my liking, so they stayed there.

I think alot of us strayed this past weekend. Holidays are the worst.
Have you gotten a carb counter yet? Once you look thru one you'll see that you really don't need special low carb items because there are enough of them naturally.

barnum42

tigsmom said:
I think alot of us strayed this past weekend. Holidays are the worst.
Have you gotten a carb counter yet? Once you look thru one you'll see that you really don't need special low carb items because there are enough of them naturally.
I don't have a carb counter as I never went full on Atkins. Do you know of an online one, or is it a publication?

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
I don't have a carb counter as I never went full on Atkins. Do you know of an online one, or is it a publication?

You can usually get them in bookstores. I have a small one that I keep in my purse to check unfamiliar items. Everyday ones I know by heart. Check out the online one from Atkins...

Carb Counter
If there is something you need to know & can't find just post it & I'll try to look it up. ( I have 3 different books)

barnum42

tigsmom said:
You can usually get them in bookstores. I have a small one that I keep in my purse to check unfamiliar items. Everyday ones I know by heart. Check out the online one from Atkins...

Carb Counter
If there is something you need to know & can't find just post it & I'll try to look it up. ( I have 3 different books)
Thanks for the link. You can download the carb counter as a PDF file. Though it may take some conversion as all food over here is sold in metric quantities - it is against to the law to sell in pounds and ounces. Also for reasons unknown the American "cup" is a different size to ours :veryconfu

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
Thanks for the link. You can download the carb counter as a PDF file. Though it may take some conversion as all food over here is sold in metric quantities - it is against to the law to sell in pounds and ounces. Also for reasons unknown the American "cup" is a different size to ours :veryconfu

I keep forgetting about that. :hammer: You probably think I'm insane. :lol:

I'll search around & see what I can come up with. :wave:

In 3 weeks, I have lost 20lbs. In the first 2 it was about 16, so with the addition of fruits and vegies ( REMEMBER RED = HIGH SUGAR ) Apples and Pears and even Pineapples are ok, I have lost about 4. Add that to my work out regimen, of playign hockey 4-5 times a week and going to the gym 5-6, I should be down to my target of 160 in no time. I CAN SEE MY ABS AGAIN!

tigsmom

ArchiDanDisney said:
In 3 weeks, I have lost 20lbs. In the first 2 it was about 16, so with the addition of fruits and vegies ( REMEMBER RED = HIGH SUGAR ) Apples and Pears and even Pineapples are ok, I have lost about 4. Add that to my work out regimen, of playign hockey 4-5 times a week and going to the gym 5-6, I should be down to my target of 160 in no time. I CAN SEE MY ABS AGAIN!

Can you send me some of your ambition? :lol:

Keep up the good work. :sohappy:

JBSLJames

Original Poster
Great job. Keep up the good work.

I didn't realize the "Red" rule. On the South Beach, the two fruits that should be avoided are banannas and pineapple. Avoid may be a strong word. On phase two, they should be had in 'very limited' occurances. The best ones are berries.

And Gary, I think you are right. Nothing says Fathers Day like a box of ho-ho's (the snack cake kind) :lookaroun

tigsmom

The confusing part about carb counting is the fiber thing...you have to subtract that from the total. Then there are the sugar alcohols. Some people (like Atkins) subtract the total amount while my dietician says to only subtract half. Apples have fiber & pectin (that keeps your blood sugar level), but the juice is a killer...all sugar.
I need a personal chef to figure all this out and cook for me. (there I go dreaming again)

And stay away from the ho-hos...both kinds! :lookaroun :animwink:

JBSLJames

Original Poster
Ahh, but a good ho-ho from time to time may help curb the desire to cheat more often :animwink:

On a side note, does anyone think that the Atkins and Low Carb Diets in general seem to work better for men. To date, I have lost almost 15 pounds more than my wife even though she has been more faithful :lookaroun (darn ho-ho's) on the diet than I have. Also, my brother in law has lost almost 70 pounds since last November where my sister has lost about 35 pounds. Still great numbers but not equal. Now my brother has lost 52 pounds since about March. Maybe it is just a guy thing.

The genders are different, besides the obvious.

And yes Barnum, the camera can be up to 536.2 yards away and as close as 5 inches. Either way, the extremes will not provide to good a photo.

tigsmom

Men lose weight faster than women because we have the hormonal thing working against us. (our bodies are programmed to hold onto fat...which I hate!)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
*sets a pie down in the middle of the thread and sneaks away* :lookaroun

*in my best Homer Voice* "Mmmmm.... Floor Pie" :slurp: :lol:

barnum42

tigsmom said:
Men lose weight faster than women because we have the hormonal thing working against us. (our bodies are programmed to hold onto fat...which I hate!)
So that's where my feminine side is :lol:

MouseMadness

Okay, I am making my first post on the new boards! :eek: I am all confused and frightened!

and fat... but the work outs start again tomorrow!! October first, here I come!

speck76

Eat and be well
Nutritionists name the 10 most important foods

By Marge Perry |
Posted June 22, 2004

Fat is bad, but some fats are good. Tofu prevents disease; tofu aids growth of certain tumors. Eggs promote cholesterol; eggs pack a nutritional punch.

So which is it?

The barrage of conflicting reports leaves many consumers with a distrust of nutritional information -- and a plate full of questions about how and what to eat for their health.

Despite contradictory reports and biases by researchers for or against proteins, fats and/or carbohydrates, there are certain foods and food groups about which many nutritional experts agree.

A number of foods were named to a Top 10 list by a half-dozen leading research nutritionists interviewed earlier this month. Some obvious candidates, however, didn't make the list, but were cited as beneficial. Broccoli, for example, was noted as being a rich source of vitamin C, and research points to its potential to reduce the risk of breast, colon and stomach cancers. Sweet potatoes, a potent source of vitamin A (which helps ensure healthy eyes), are high in fiber and low on the glycemic index, which means they are a carbohydrate that won't cause the same spikes in blood sugar as a white potato. Cooked tomatoes are high in lycopene (which helps decrease the risk of colon cancer) and vitamin C, and are low in calories.

Melon, which is in peak season, has more water, ounce for ounce, than most juices. In addition, melon is loaded with potassium. Watermelon is also a good source of iron and lycopene.

Keith Ayoob, associate professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, named his Top 10 most important foods and added a caveat that seems to be the consensus among food experts: Don't limit yourself. "Use the list as a springboard to try other foods in the same categories," he advises. "It's all about variety."

Here are some of the best disease-fighting, health-promoting foods that came up on our nutritionists' Top 10 lists:

1. BLUEBERRIES. Blueberries are a particular favorite among researchers because they have more antioxidant power than any other fruit. Kathy McManus, director of nutrition at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, explains: "The blue color comes from the presence of anthocyanin, a flavonoid which has been found to the effects of aging in animal studies. We're talking about motor and cognitive function."

There is also strong evidence that blueberries help fight heart disease and cancer. And blueberries may help improve night vision and slow macular degeneration (a leading cause of blindness in the elderly).

McManus, who runs a weight loss clinic and research center, points out that blueberries are also low in calories -- just 60 in three-quarters of a cup.

2. GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES. Some green vegetables, like kale and spinach, are particularly good sources of lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help prevent macular degeneration. And lutein, especially when consumed with the lycopene found in tomatoes, may slow the growth of prostate cancer cells, studies show.

Leafy greens are a good source of folate, which helps prevent cardiovascular disease and blood clots; magnesium, which helps maintain blood pressure; beta carotene to fight cancer; and some, like collards, are an excellent nondairy source of calcium.

Leafy greens are also high in fiber and very low in calories. The darker the leaf, the higher the concentration of beta carotene. Field green lettuces and mesclun mixes available in many supermarkets offer a good variety.

3. NUTS. "A nut is the seed for a new plant. When you eat a nut, you're getting a compacted source of all the nutrients that plant is going to need in order to grow," said Christine Pelkman, assistant professor of nutrition at the State University at Buffalo. Nuts contain healthy monounsaturated fats, protein, fiber and a host of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, selenium and magnesium. Every nut has its own particular nutritional strengths; walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids, and Brazil nuts are one of the best dietary sources of selenium, for example.

"It is very clear that those who eat five or more servings of nuts per week reduce their risk of heart disease by 32 percent and their risk of type 2 diabetes by 27 percent," McManus said.

4. FATTY FISH. While some nutritionists put all fish on their Top 10 list, most emphasize fatty fish, such as salmon, sardines and tuna, which are highest in omega-3s. "The benefits are humongous," said Ayoob. "Fish high in omega-3s can reduce heart disease by up to 30 percent."

There is a note of caution with fish. Farmed salmon has higher levels of PCBs (a chemical contaminate) than wild, but wild salmon is seasonal and far more costly. McManus therefore advises patients to limit consumption of farmed fish. Large fish, such as tuna, tilefish, shark and swordfish, should also be consumed in limited quantities because they contain higher levels of mercury than smaller fish.

Most nutritionists interviewed agree that the health benefits outweigh the risks and that eating a variety of fish minimizes the risk.

5. AVOCADOS. Avocados got a bad reputation because they have more calories and fat than many vegetables. But most of the fat in this fruit (yes, fruit) is monounsaturated, and avocados are packed with nutrients. Ounce for ounce, avocados contain about 60 percent more potassium than bananas and contain more vitamin E (which helps prevent muscle damage and reduce inflammation) than most other commonly eaten fruits.

6. WHOLE GRAINS. Highly refined carbohydrates such as white bread, cookies, sweetened and highly processed cereals can pack on the pounds and cause unhealthy spikes in blood sugar. But these refined carbohydrates should not be confused with whole-grain carbohydrates, which are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin B, folate and fiber.

The powerhouse vitamins and minerals and the hundreds of phytochemicals in whole grains may help prevent cancer, heart disease and birth defects. And fiber, which according to the American Heart Association is greatly underconsumed (Americans average 15 grams per day rather than the recommended 25-35 grams), helps lower cholesterol, may protect against certain cancers (including gastrointestinal), aids bowel function and decreases the risk of type 2 diabetes.

7. LEGUMES, INCLUDING SOY. Legumes and beans are an underutilized, inexpensive, near-complete nutrient package. "They have protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals," said Ayoob. "And diabetics need to know they won't tend to raise blood sugar."

Legumes contain a range of plant nutrients that few animal proteins deliver, along with fiber and very little fat.

Soybeans are higher in protein and fat and lower in carbohydrates than other legumes. There is conflicting evidence about soy's role in cancer protection, but it is clear that soy belongs in a heart-healthy diet.

8. LOW-FAT DAIRY (MILK AND YOGURT). Yogurt contains probiotics -- a "good" bacteria for the stomach that helps prevent infections and gastrointestinal distress. McManus especially values yogurt's "good balance of protein, carbohydrates and calcium," and recommends natural yogurts with active cultures and no added sugar.

Calcium, like fiber, is sadly lacking in American diets. Low-fat dairy is an easy way to increase calcium consumption, and milk also has vitamin D added. Vitamin D, which enables the body to absorb the calcium, comes from exposure to sunlight.

9. EGGS. Often referred to as one of nature's "perfect foods," an egg offers complete protein in a low-calorie package. It's quick, easy and inexpensive and rich in many vitamins (including vitamin E), minerals and micronutrients, like lecithin and lutein, that may protect against eye disease and certain cancers.

The American Heart Association removed restrictions on the number of egg yolks healthy individuals can consume. While yolks are high in dietary cholesterol, the AHA and many scientists agree that the saturated fat and trans-fats in the diet have a greater impact on blood cholesterol than the cholesterol in the diet. The AHA continues to recommend that people with heart disease limit their egg yolk consumption to two per week.

10. DARK CHOCOLATE. Yep, that's right, chocolate. Justify it nutritionally: dark (unsweetened chocolate) has compounds similar to red wine that benefit heart health. The flavonoids (an antioxidant-like chemical in plant foods) in dark chocolate fight free radicals and help blood vessels dilate, which improves blood flow. It doesn't take a nutritionist, though, to say that chocolate makes people feel warm- hearted.

Marge Perry writes regularly about food and nutrition.

tigsmom

darthdarrel said:
I just saw a segment on the news that said Doctors are now saying that the low carb diet can actually do more harm then good.

Only in certain people. Those with kidney disease should not eat large amounts of protein because the body can't handle it.
Also, you should still strive to have only moderate amounts of fat (the good kind) and still stay away from the saturated fats.
Some people suffer headaches in the beginning due to sugar withdrawl...that was me. They lasted three days!

As for the article spec posted...I knew there was a reason I craved dark chocolate! :D

Lycopene also protects against prostate cancer . The more you cook the tomato the more lycopene it has. Fresh tomato...little, tomato paste...tons.

Went to the doctor...gained back a few pounds, but thats OK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom