Dr. Judd's Diet Talk

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm actually interested in getting some kind of exercise machine for home. I don't want anything big or fancy. Just something simple, like just to get some exercise with. Also, I would like it to be somewhat cheap, under $200? Would you recommend a stationary bike, some kind of elliptical, or what? No treadmills! :lol:

We've got a bike and an elliptical. I think we paid about $400-500 for the bike and over $1000 for the elliptical and I'd say they're both of similar quality (reasonably solid, but not as good as the ones at a health club).

Based on that, I'd say that you can get bikes less expensive than ellipticals, so you may want to go that way if price is a concern.

You may be able to get some good prices online, but I'd check them out at some stores first to get an idea of how they feel. If you find one you like, you can check online to see if you can get a better price.

I think you'l find there are HUGE price/quality ranges with things like this. You can probably get something as low as $100 or as high as $3000. Be careful not to get anything too cheap, or you may end just not using it. Better to get something a little more expensive that you'll actually use than something cheap that will just collect dust.

:wave:

figmentmom

My daughter and son-in-law bought a Total Gym in the fond hope that they would use it every day, without fail. It sat in a closet for a year, when they finally sold it and joined a gym together (which they attend every other day). The point is, everyone is different, and everyone has a different level of self-motivation when it comes to exercise. If you think you'll use home equipment, go for it! If you're not sure, you might consider a short-term membership at an exercise facililty to check out the various types of equipment suitable for home use. See if you enjoy using them enough to purchase one for yourself.

DarkImage4

Been a while, so here's a quick update....

Lost 1 pound the week after that,
Had a "bad" week with my wife, gained 5 pounds,
Lost those 5 pounds again the following week.
This past week I lost another 3 pounds down to 370.8.

My new total is 72 pounds!

Another long time between posts. Since August 9th I'v had a week of staying the same, then a week of gaining 6 pounds, losing them again the following week and am finally at a new low of 368.5...

This brings my new total to 74 pounds!

tigsmom

Another long time between posts. Since August 9th I'v had a week of staying the same, then a week of gaining 6 pounds, losing them again the following week and am finally at a new low of 368.5...

Congratulations! :sohappy:

Keep up the good work!

MouseMadness

Excellent work!! :sohappy:

I haven't touched a scale in a week or two. :lookaroun :eek:

Actually, I'm thinking I'll be heading to the podiatrist. :( My left foot has something weird going on, where it hurts like hell in the ball of my foot between where my second and third toes come down, but it's only when I walk in bare feet :lol: So I don't wanna go just to have him say "Well, wear your damn shoes" :lol: But I'm kinda afraid to run on it, even with the shoes. *shrug*

garyhoov

Trophy Husband

:sohappy: :sohappy: I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't been being good, but I'm getting back on it. I've been eating better and excercising more the past few days.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband

Actually, I'm thinking I'll be heading to the podiatrist. :( My left foot has something weird going on, where it hurts like hell in the ball of my foot between where my second and third toes come down, but it's only when I walk in bare feet :lol: So I don't wanna go just to have him say "Well, wear your damn shoes" :lol: But I'm kinda afraid to run on it, even with the shoes. *shrug*

It could be some sort of bone chip. Does it feel deep inside, or more near the surface?

Hope you feel better.

MKCP 1985

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one taking a bit of a break. I call it the "summer's mostly over and I'm not going to be seen anywhere without a shirt anytime soon" break.

As of this morning, I'm 3 pounds away from my goal and have been pretty much stuck there for a couple or three weeks. Still, the diet has been effective as I'm down roughly 14 pounds since I started, which translates to about 8% of my total previous body weight.

popsicletrees

As of last week I had lost 4 pounds. The third week is always the hardest for me, and considering it was a long weekend, and I was left to my own devices for food I was making a lot of trips to Starbucks and cheap Mexican restaurants. I'm back on track now. I'm playing racquetball three mornings a week and walking 2 miles 5 days a week.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
As of last week I had lost 4 pounds. The third week is always the hardest for me, and considering it was a long weekend, and I was left to my own devices for food I was making a lot of trips to Starbucks and cheap Mexican restaurants. I'm back on track now. I'm playing racquetball three mornings a week and walking 2 miles 5 days a week.

Good job! Now if we can just get the rest of these lazy a$$es back on track.:lookaroun

figmentmom

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations - that's quite an accomplishment! :sohappy:

Christy, my husband had the exact same symptoms, and it turned out to be a Morton's neuroma. Surgery was recommended :eek: , but instead, he followed his chiropractor's advice, bought wider shoes, and - end of pain!

MerHearted

Why do I picture this scene?

Christy: I swear I'm a 5!!!
Al Bundy: *sigh*

:lookaroun :lol:

MouseMadness

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations - that's quite an accomplishment! :sohappy:

Christy, my husband had the exact same symptoms, and it turned out to be a Morton's neuroma. Surgery was recommended :eek: , but instead, he followed his chiropractor's advice, bought wider shoes, and - end of pain!

That's what Andy said it was :eek: :lol: Weird... maybe sometimes he knows what he's doing :lookaroun

Vince:
getout.gif
:p

MouseMadness

Well, I've been given my orders to get to the orthpedic surgeon about my foot. :( I wouldn't even consider it, except I want to keep working out, and I really can't with it (and it doesn't ever go away by itself)

So... *shrug* (It'll be a good couple months before I get around to making the appointment anyway :lol: :lookaroun )

figmentmom

Well, I've been given my orders to get to the orthpedic surgeon about my foot. :( I wouldn't even consider it, except I want to keep working out, and I really can't with it (and it doesn't ever go away by itself)

So... *shrug* (It'll be a good couple months before I get around to making the appointment anyway :lol: :lookaroun )

In the meantime, Christy, buy a pair of wide sneakers to wear when working out and around the house, and avoid dress shoes that cramp your toes and the ball of your foot. My husband was in serious pain for several years, and tried everything from orthotics to cortisone shots. Surgery was the next step :eek: , until he finally took that chiropractor's advice about the shoes!!! It's worth a try.

minnie2000

I signed up for slimming world last night, but am finding it a bit confusing. Its all red days and green days - anyone done this one? I have heard a lot of success stories.

barnum42

I signed up for slimming world last night, but am finding it a bit confusing. Its all red days and green days - anyone done this one? I have heard a lot of success stories.

I've never done any of the group things. I go for the "Stop eating so much junk and up the exercise" method. Something I have not been doing for the last several months and am now paying for it. Back on the ski machine and no more sweeties.

The above is not meant as a slight to the group thing - they can be excellent at helping motivate as you are in a group with lots of others who can identify with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom