Downtown Disney rumor

WDW1974

So the 'pied piper' of the unthinking has already declared to his followers that they should hate the plan even before the details are released. And his loyal subjects fall right in line. I'm shocked! :eek:

It is a shopping and entertainment complex. It was never intended to be a theme park. I regret that Eisner did not continue with the original aesthetics. I want the Empress Lily restored as much as anyone. But we have to play with the hand we have been dealt. I am just happy they are doing something to realize some of the potential of the area. Way overdue. And nothing says they can't recreate the original marketplace or PI somewhere else on property as stand alones someday. That is what I would do.

Ah, JT ain't dead ... bless your soul ... you sure are a hoot. Nice to see you.

Heard you been angry at Disney over NGE and it being the sign of thd devil or some such nonsense when you weren't preaching the virtues of Crybaby Beck building his version of America to Eddie Sotto.

Like I said, you are such a hoot, boy, that is what you are!

Welcome back ... the next Pattymelt with a side of fresh cut fraud fries is on me!

71jason

I didn't know the water taxis were for DTD I thought they were just for the resorts.

That's the issue--I hardly think you're alone. But they only run two small-ish boats, and the load/unload takes forever. To put it in park terms, these boats have a low hourly capacity. Heavily promoting them without any sort of infrastructure improvement just isn't going to work.

RWilliams

Premium Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Observatory possibly being a new concept between Landry's and Disney. I find that the most likely option.

I hate to see everyone getting so "excited" (probably not the best word- maybe optimistic is better ;) ) over the Observatory. From what I'm hearing its just simply a renovation of the exterior of Planet Hollywood to better fit in with its surroundings. The tenant will unfortunately continue to be Planet Hollywood. :(

OFTeric

I know PH and Disney were having some contract discussions a while back. I know PH didn't want out of DTD for any reason at all.

But knowing that they are going to open up a location I-Drive LIVE near the new Orlando Eye project makes me think that Disney either made staying so cost prohibitive that they had to leave.

Does anyone else know more?

OFTeric

Just attempted to go over the 222 page plan ... made it about halfway.

What did I get from it? This is Disney's attempt at making one unifying look for its mall and drastically increasing retail space. Many of the new stores appear to be on the small side, like what you'd find it any mall.

What I heard in regards to the "boutique" shop sizes, (and maybe you can confirm or rebuke) but what was shared with me is that the Leasing team has been told "F### NO" by so many retailers over the terms, and costs of leasing a space at DTD that the only way Disney can make leasing economical on their terms is by drastically changing their terms and increasing the number of tenants with the idea that there will be a lot of churn. So lure a tenant in, give them cheap rent, rob them on the revenue share.

Again just what I heard.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Whilst I've seen evidence PH will remain, including name, I've also seen that the "moat" may be built on.

Could you find some evidence for my Death Star re-theme, light saber tag, adult beverage place? K Thx Bai.
On a side note, does anyone care about PH anymore? Doesn't seem like a franchise that's aged well, but I don't have my finger on the pulse of the general public.

yoyoflamingo

If they lose PH, maybe they can have a "Kardashians Take Over DTD" store. All DTD is missing is a "reality" franchise. Scripting and illusion require effort. Who wants fantasy anymore?

But if they take away illusion, more people will see DTD for what it is: a large, sprawling, expensive mall. Then they also might have to worry about the reality setting in to the guests at the parks too, stripping away the illusion of the magic and pixie dust and see the decay and issues we've been talking about on here for years.

Funmeister

Over the past year or so it was decided that the exterior of PH is/was going to get a completely new color scheme paint job. I was told it was going to be lighter colors (white) that would allow an exterior light show to be projected onto the building. Also gone would be the zebra stripe carpet and a lot of props inside and repainted the bright colors for something similar. These plans were "finalized" but not sure if this is part of the Downtown Disney reboot or if that plan is now dead or changing. The new Planet Hollywood experience is to be multi-media rich.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Over the past year or so it was decided that the exterior of PH is/was going to get a completely new color scheme paint job. I was told it was going to be lighter colors (white) that would allow an exterior light show to be projected onto the building. Also gone would be the zebra stripe carpet and a lot of props inside and repainted the bright colors for something similar. These plans were "finalized" but not sure if this is part of the Downtown Disney reboot or if that plan is now dead or changing. The new Planet Hollywood experience is to be multi-media rich.

A projector show like the one at the castle now could be a solid add if its done right. It would also be cheaper than a fountain show in the water but still probably draw a crowd.

71jason

I hate to see everyone getting so "excited" (probably not the best word- maybe optimistic is better ;) ) over the Observatory. From what I'm hearing its just simply a renovation of the exterior of Planet Hollywood to better fit in with its surroundings. The tenant will unfortunately continue to be Planet Hollywood. :(

Which begs the question, why use a code name in an internal document, presumably when the deal is already final?

Unless you plan to intentionally "leak" said document (I think that's an oxymoron) in hopes it will give the online fan community a new bone to chew on rather than NGE. Maybe even make a veiled reference to a proto-Adventurers Club* to really get the chatter going. Sort of the same thing that happened with Hyperion Wharf.

* I realize I made the first reference to "the Observatory" being an AdvClub-like experience, but I was being firmly tongue-in-cheek, I'd never heard of the Edison Club or whatever it was.

SirLink

sadly, this does look like the real deal ... I'd expect an announcement VERY soon!

Well we all know about announcements, until it is built and I can feel it/touch it/see it with my own two eyes it an urban myth.

BTW when did you get a snazzy avatar, I might have to find one now ...

RSoxNo1

One thing I would like to see as either a part of World of Disney or as a separate shop is all of the attraction specific merchandise in a centralized shop. I don't think it thematically belongs in any park, but I wouldn't have any issue with it existing in Downtown Disney.

PhotoDave219

Which begs the question, why use a code name in an internal document, presumably when the deal is already final?

Unless you plan to intentionally "leak" said document (I think that's an oxymoron) in hopes it will give the online fan community a new bone to chew on rather than NGE. Maybe even make a veiled reference to a proto-Adventurers Club* to really get the chatter going. Sort of the same thing that happened with Hyperion Wharf.

* I realize I made the first reference to "the Observatory" being an AdvClub-like experience, but I was being firmly tongue-in-cheek, I'd never heard of the Edison Club or whatever it was.

Could be an intentional leak to try and kill the project.

I can't see Disney going forward without signed contracts in hand with that retail space filled beforehand.

Other thought..... Wasn't one of the reasons PI died the ridiculous security problems it was having on the weekends with the teenagers? Because I see that problem repeating itself with a mall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom