Downtown Disney rumor

articos

The AC with a Locomotive sticking out intrigues me, I figured some type of shop until @WDW1974 or @Lee said lounge/cafeteria. Who is running said Lounge/Cafeteria Disney or 3rd party?
This particular concept/piece of art has been hanging around WDI for a while in various forms. In case you haven't picked up on it, there's a railroad theme running through the refurb. At one point there was a trolley in this, but I don't know if it has survived. The water taxi is supposed to be brought to the forefront as a mode of getting from one end to the other, as they know no one knows it exists. There's a new wayfaring package included in this refresh.

I'm not surprised they picked up on more of a lifestyle center concept, but I am surprised they picked up on the stupid names that could be part of any outdoor mall or suburban housing development anywhere in the country.
The names are not final, and can change up through opening. (Thankfully.)

Leaving it as it is isn't an option. Spend money on putting in draws (like a WOC type show), and people complain that the money should be spent on the parks. It always was a lifestyle center, it just took the rest of the country a decade or two to copy the plan. If they take the model and plus it, I have no issue. I don't want it to be a theme park. They are having enough trouble managing the ones they already have.
All truth.

It is possible to have a parking garage that doesn't look terrible on the outside... almost nobody does it, though.
And also true. Have some faith if the garage is close to the district, it will be themed or hidden under plants or light panels. (Moar planters!)

SF Girl is apparently the code name for American Girl, the doll store. So perhaps The Observatory is also a code name for something else.
Correct, although Observatory may be the actual name.

And Wetzel's should be relocating, not leaving.

John

For me the only two things I don't have pleasure over are the name change and that Wetzel's Pretzels is becoming a Starbucks. But other than that (and was hoping night clubs would be brought back in some way shape or form) I am fine with them making these changes to DTD. Really interested in that Observatory Restaurant.

I think there are a lot more caffine addicts then pretzel freaks. Why not incorporate both? A cinnamon pretzel and a coffee dosnt sound to bad. But yea, if they atleast dont do a half effort in bringing back some night life to the area.......to me its a fail. No Starbucks....no pretzel place....no goofy specialty shop I can find in anytown mall will prick my ears. But some unique night life offering....ladies in sequin dresses and 6 inch heels and I am booking a trip tomorrow.

Genie of the Lamp

I think there are a lot more caffine addicts then pretzel freaks. Why not incorporate both? A cinnamon pretzel and a coffee dosnt sound to bad. But yea, if they atleast dont do a half effort in bringing back some night life to the area.......to me its a fail. No Starbucks....no pretzel place....no goofy specialty shop I can find in anytown mall will prick my ears. But some unique night life offering....ladies in sequin dresses and 6 inch heels and I am booking a trip tomorrow.

Yeah waaaaay more Caffine addicts than Pretzel freaks. They should've listened to you @Arewethereyet!. Plus Disney knows that the nightclubs on the DCL ships have recieved high guest satisfaction so that should mean to TDO/WDW Execs that people would love to see a return of the nightclubs to DTD in some way shape or form. Even something like a comedy club like with what they do at DHS on holidays now with that comedy 2 day fest shindig. Plus they brought in some extra revenues for WDW too.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Problem is, even hidden as they are, demand far outstrips supply--even with only moderate crowds, you're lucky to get on the third boat that comes. Even with that bottleneck by the Lego store, it's probably twice as fast to walk.
I didn't know the water taxis were for DTD I thought they were just for the resorts.

dhall

C'mon Disney. Even in your current state, you're better than this!

I will hold onto the expectation that these can't POSSIBLY be the final names. There just isn't any way Disney could do something with such an undeniable lack of creativity.

This year's big marketing theme is "Limited Time Magic". As in -- "get this, how about this year, we only do Valentine's Day stuff in early February, and Mom celebrations in early May. And we can put a bunch of hearts in the decorations in February and flowers in May. Maybe we'll even do special pins & vinylmations"

"That's Brilliant!!!"

they're not even trying anymore.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So the 'pied piper' of the unthinking has already declared to his followers that they should hate the plan even before the details are released. And his loyal subjects fall right in line. I'm shocked! :eek:

It is a shopping and entertainment complex. It was never intended to be a theme park. I regret that Eisner did not continue with the original aesthetics. I want the Empress Lily restored as much as anyone. But we have to play with the hand we have been dealt. I am just happy they are doing something to realize some of the potential of the area. Way overdue. And nothing says they can't recreate the original marketplace or PI somewhere else on property as stand alones someday. That is what I would do.

I mostly agree. Except....

They have not done a thing yet. Your beloved Hyperion Wharf was announced, and all we got was mulch and seed. This hasn't even been announced, forget about completed.

articos

Yeah waaaaay more Caffine addicts than Pretzel freaks. They should've listened to you @Arewethereyet!. Plus Disney knows that the nightclubs on the DCL ships have recieved high guest satisfaction so that should mean to TDO/WDW Execs that people would love to see a return of the nightclubs to DTD in some way shape or form. Even something like a comedy club like with what they do at DHS on holidays now with that comedy 2 day fest shindig. Plus they brought in some extra revenues for WDW too.
The reason Wetzel's would move is more location than anything else. Use of space - it's a prime waterfront spot with high through traffic flow right by the theatre, and the plot has space for outdoor seating. That's a prime location for Starbucks.

CDavid

Really? I believe the exact opposite. Seas of surface parking is offensive, obtrusive, and horribly ugly.

So you would rather have this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petitshoo/20631855/

Than any of these??
http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog/dyn/29788/parking-lots-of-miami/#.USa-d6U3t8E
http://www.thecoolist.com/parking-garage-design-10-modernist-masterpieces/

Ok...

It is possible to have a parking garage that doesn't look terrible on the outside... almost nobody does it, though.

I don't have a problem at all with a garage - it would be much better I think if it were located on the opposite side of Buena Vista Drive, though, especially if it is just a plain, concrete (read: ugly) parking structure. Wherever it is built, it should be themed and/or disguised to look like anything else but a parking garage. At the above thecoolist link, Car Park One isn't too bad, but I really like the Autostadt automated parking towers. If nothing else, "theme" the garage to look like just another Downtown Disney (Hotel Plaza) hotel tower.

dhall

Maybe there was some "Lost in Translation" during that time...too much sun in the sun dial! lol By chance did anyone ever get the chance to see the lit model they found built IN the walls (along with one of Walt's trains) in the old Walt Disney Story? I believe it was discovered during the summer of 1994. Was really cool...spooky too. You had to basically go into a small storage area/closet and climb a ladder to open an access panel cut in the wall and there it was. It amazed me because it sat in the wall for yours with electricity running to it all lit up and no one had any idea until they had to do some work tearing open the walls. The train was in a small closet off of one of the theater itself. Anyone get to experience?

I remember spending a lot of time looking at that model back when it was public. I remember seeing the mural many, many times as well.

maxairmike

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Observatory possibly being a new concept between Landry's and Disney. I find that the most likely option.

As for ugly parking garages, it is fairly easy to make a parking garage look pretty decent, and it wouldn't look much different than the West Side parking lot side of the AMC building I would bet. Something kind of like this only with all the current banners hanging off the AMC building.

ArenaDistrict.jpg

WDW1974

Well there is going to be more chain stores! Plus, the Observatory...which isn't going to be real observatory I'm sure. Way to cool for DtD in its current iteration.

Trying to find out more on the Observatory. It may well be an upscale bar and dining venue from the folks behind the Edison in LA. They were talking to Disney at some point and it was assumed (by me among others) that it had to do with repurposing a few of the PI clubs. ... That may not be the case.

WDW1974

Wow some of you guys don't give Disney credit for anything and yes, I believe the parks need some tlc as well, but DTD redo is a big thing in my opinion.

I could make the same argument that people don't just go to Disney to see a yeti that swipes at them which we only see for 1 second too

IMO anything within the wdw resort that gets tlc the better, DTD, busses, resorts, or parks...is a win.

If the parks where perfect and DTD was like it is some of you would be complaining about that too. Apparently Disney thinks there will be a ROI by doing this so enjoy it. It's better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than the Hyperion barf idea

Nah, it's too late and I don't have the energy ... I'll let @Lee or @marni1971 handle this one.

You got off easy!

WDW1974

Being a railroad geek (and model railroader), I'm curious about the tracks. Is there any chance they could be used for some sort of trolly system to move people from one end of the area to the other? While my family usually walks, I'd enjoy the kinetic energy of such a system.

What could be and should be done would be a version of TDS's electric railway ... way kewler than the Peoplemover. Because the biggest issue with parking at DD isn't that there isn't enough, but that everyone seems to want to park right in front of WoD or T-Rex or AMC and not walk at all. That's why on all but the busiest days of the year there's plenty of parking down near Cirque and HoB.

This parking structure isn't going to solve the fact that people still have to walk ... a LOT ... to visit the entire complex. And a system like the railway would solve that. But that ain't happening. This is for theming (strange at that) purposes only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom