Downtown Disney rumor

71jason

The most important aspect of all of this that I feel NEEDS to be addressed is ...

When can we expect that giant neon Jessica Rabbit to be sold by MouseSurplus on eBay?

Sadly it was dropped and destroyed during removal (not a joke, there's no punchline). Otherwise it would've been at Property Control years ago.

71jason

So you are saying the rumors of drug deals and gang wars are just urban legend? You are ruining my vision of bloods and crips in either red or blue Mickey Mouse ears shooting it out at the rock and roll beach club.

Nothing teen gangbangers like more than live comedy and the music of their parents' generation.

I am sure the biggest driver was money. If PI was printing cash it would still be open.

8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. Mannequins and Motion held their own. And that's without factoring in the $25 cover charges. A couple inexperienced restaurantuers bought into the idea that being in DTD was worth $1 million a year plus a third of your profits. TDO actually believed far more experienced big-name restaurant owners would also believe this. (Similar to overvaluing the real estate at Flamingo Crossing vs. 192). This was the fatal mistake that doomed PI.

G00fyDad

They loved being able to celebrate new years every night. Gave them excuses to fire their guns off in the air.

Not to mention being able to pull off fabulous number from West Side Story.

west-side-story.jpg

While theyre at it, bring back the Fireworks factory! I think this is great. A centralized parking garage sure works for Citywalk and allows space for shops and restaurants. How about a Via Napoli(Napolis) just like DTD anaheim. Get rid of Disney pin traders and D-street, and have a main huge store with a second floor for trading... oh the possibilities

Genie of the Lamp

Here's to hoping this gets announced in march!

It's pretty likely it will since there's that upcoming "Around the World" media event/presentation occuring in March or April (agreeing with you that March seems more likely). The plans have been leaked on most sites like the one you found (which started this thread) and most Fla local media stations are aware of these plans so it's only a matter of time before we hear George and Keith Bradford announce this plan/project.

disneyflush

Nothing teen gangbangers like more than live comedy and the music of their parents' generation.

8-Traxx was the most profitable bar per square foot in the country. Mannequins and Motion held their own. And that's without factoring in the $25 cover charges. A couple inexperienced restaurantuers bought into the idea that being in DTD was worth $1 million a year plus a third of your profits. TDO actually believed far more experienced big-name restaurant owners would also believe this. (Similar to overvaluing the real estate at Flamingo Crossing vs. 192). This was the fatal mistake that doomed PI.

Thank you for this information.

Genie of the Lamp

After doing more research on this topic, it appears that "Around the World" presentation/media event is going to occur in late April which is most likely the time when this project will be announced to the public. The source I got it from is screamscape so while it's not the most credible rumor source, it seems to on this one have a pretty good idea with the whereabouts of this. They were one of the first sites to report on this. I'd just like it if they would just announce this and when it would take place already.

Grumpy06

Anyone heard yet on how they plan to limit the access to SSR via the new bridge planned or is just anyone from the Downtown area going to be able to just venture over and use the resort
I would think that would put a lot of pressure on SSR pools and busses and not fair to the paying dvc members and paying guest
any thoughts

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone heard yet on how they plan to limit the access to SSR via the new bridge planned or is just anyone from the Downtown area going to be able to just venture over and use the resort
I would think that would put a lot of pressure on SSR pools and busses and not fair to the paying dvc members and paying guest
any thoughts
I don't think it will be an issue. You can take a boat now or walk around the other way (from West side) to SSR. The resort is open for anyone to visit and explore. The pools and facilities will still be for resort guests only. I imagine if they don't have issues with the EPCOT resorts or the MK monorail loop resorts this won't be an issue since the foot traffic would be much higher for those resorts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The SSR bridge will be so far out the way I doubt it'd be an issue. It's more of a short link from SSR to the current bus station area and restrooms / back of Rainforest. It's not some grand walkway from the resort to the middle of the village. It really just cuts off walking around the NE lake outlet under BVD.

71jason

DTD guests using SSR buses is already an issue, but agreed, I don't see this making it particularly worse. And the parking garage might be directed at solving that particular problem. (Although--game theory--any solution will probably just invite new problems.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DTD guests using SSR buses is already an issue, but agreed, I don't see this making it particularly worse. And the parking garage might be directed at solving that particular problem. (Although--game theory--any solution will probably just invite new problems.)

If they charge for parking it would reduce the incentive to park there and bus to a park. But that could reduce the number of locals visiting to actually shop and/or eat. The movie theater and bowling alley could be particularly hard hit. One solution could be free parking after 5PM and/or for visits less than 3 or 4 hours. Anyone looking to beat the parking fee at one of the parks would be there longer than 4 hours and most likely earlier in the day. Any locals visiting to shop, eat or bowl probably won't stay longer than 4 hours and would be more likely to visit at night too.

Genie of the Lamp

Since we're talking about DD here, I found this picture update from DaMouse of the Rainforest Cafe refurbishment uploaded 3 days ago:
http://damouse.com/2013/02/27/rainf...gets-march-2013-construction-completion-date/
Here's the important line from that article: "Rainforest Cafe representatives we spoke to informed us that the Rainforest Cafe renovation and the new Lava Lounge project are scheduled for a construction completion date of March 28, 2013". Barring any further unforseen delays.

jt04

Since we're talking about DD here, I found this picture update from DaMouse of the Rainforest Cafe refurbishment uploaded 3 days ago:
http://damouse.com/2013/02/27/rainf...gets-march-2013-construction-completion-date/
Here's the important line from that article: "Rainforest Cafe representatives we spoke to informed us that the Rainforest Cafe renovation and the new Lava Lounge project are scheduled for a construction completion date of March 28, 2013". Barring any further unforseen delays.

Well volcanoes can be unpredictable.

Seriously though, seems like a good time and place for a grand rededication. And a good time for some further announcements. IMO.

jt04

The SSR bridge will be so far out the way I doubt it'd be an issue. It's more of a short link from SSR to the current bus station area and restrooms / back of Rainforest. It's not some grand walkway from the resort to the middle of the village. It really just cuts off walking around the NE lake outlet under BVD.

I'd love to see a grand arched wooden bridge on the west side of the lake from the SSR to near Cirque. That would be nice and provide infrastructure for expansion west of HoB.

Genie of the Lamp

Well volcanoes can be unpredictable.

Seriously though, seems like a good time and place for a grand rededication. And a good time for some further announcements. IMO.

It would be nice as well that when they re open/re-dedicate RC on this day that they could announce the new masterplan for DD as well. Talk about a win-win situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom