Downtown Disney Reopens July 9th - Tracking The Changes & Closures

AJFireman

Isn't there a ton of other real estate that could have been used for this? The Void? The AMC? The ESPN Zone? Rainforest Cafe'?

ESPN Zone is currently being used as a Pop Up Store for new merchandise release where you reserve a time slot to go buy items. Rainforest Cafe Entrance is blocked by a trailer for Asian Street Eats somewhat permanent location. Never been inside the Void so not sure how it can arranged for a store without a remodel because its just a lobby right up front. AMC could of worked but probably would of looked worse because you truely could see the remnants of a forgotten theater and they have tables and chairs for outdoor dining in front. At least at Wonderground it was just all white walls and non themed display cases throw dirty laundry and painted plastic cases and its a trading post.

I for one am like others cool to look at but rarely buy anything. I mean if it was doing better business then Galaxy Edge Merchandise you would think they of kept it. There are still several locations at WDW for artist to sell and promote their artwork.

George Lucas on a Bench

A Pop Up Store?

Pop-up20Little20Pony20Industry20Standards.jpg

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Has anyone else seen this sign at DTD? Seems pretty key for theme park reopening since, uh, it mentions theme parks on it.

Attachments

• B5805BD6-2A90-499C-A52B-D8BCFC84E35E.jpeg
    B5805BD6-2A90-499C-A52B-D8BCFC84E35E.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 112

AJFireman

Stevek

Like the shop that was there before it (Island Charters) few people who go inside Wonderground actually buy anything. That's probably why they made this change. Cool shop but not a lot of sales. I see your point, though, about utilizing empty spots instead. I don't know why Disney is letting all those spaces sit vacant.

By the way, Island Charters was fabulous! It was by far my favorite shop ever in Downtown Disney. I was sad when Wonderground replaced it but I understood that change.
Exactly. Lots of looky-loos but not a ton of merch flying out the door. This pop up shop absolutely makes sense given how popular SW merch was inside Galaxy's Edge. They really should just take over the VOID space for this shop full time and bring back Wonderground when the parks reopen.

MarvelCharacterNerd

And I'll again bring the nerdy viewpoint lol... I miss D Street - both as a collectibles store and as a Star Wars & Marvel merch location in DTD.

So I think having an affordable Star Wars store that plenty of people will shop in is better in DTD than a usually empty expensive art store. And I'll double down by saying that if Disney Springs in Orlando can have permanent Star Wars and Marvel stores, I don't see why DTD doesn't have the same. So now I want a Marvel store (maybe Avengers Campus themed to go with the GE store?) in DTD to go with the Star Wars store and I'll count both an improvement to the area. :)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Did you buy anything there?
I'm usually not much of a souvenir guy, but I did buy a comic for my sister because it was an exclusive comic to the parks. I also had a friend that bought a phone case as that was something they printed there.

I'm curious if you're asking because they may have closed it down due to lack of sales since it seemed more of a window-shopping type of place than a place people would actually purchase stuff from. It was kinda pricey.

Rich T

Honestly, Disney collectibles used to be very high quality. Their brand was premium up until the early 2000s I'd say. I know any "Disney collectible" used to be expensive, but was a quality display piece. They used to be like Hallmark in terms of the items the Disney stores sold.
The first Disney Store in my area opened just before the original Lion King released. I was there with family for the opening and immediately grabbed a PVC Mufasa and bought it so I could be their 1st GP customer. THAT’s how big a Disney geek I once was. Over the next few years I bought many bookends, snow globes and figurines from them.

Then one day I went in and all merch for collectors had been eliminated; the store was all Beanie Babies and Princess pajamas.

I never went back.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

The first Disney Store in my area opened just before the original Lion King released. I was there with family for the opening and immediately grabbed a PVC Mufasa and bought it so I could be their 1st GP customer. THAT’s how big a Disney geek I once was. Over the next few years I bought many bookends, snow globes and figurines from them.

Then one day I went in and all merch for collectors had been eliminated; tbe store was all Beanie Babies and Princess pajamas.

I never went back.

I used to go to the stores and look over the collectables, spent way to much money there at times. Also used to do my shopping there for birthday presents. Then the stores changed and also haven't step foot in any of them since. The one good thing about the change is that i had all this extra money Disney was not getting so decided to start using it to travel - few years later 60+ countries visited and counting.

Last edited:

kevlightyear

This is interesting (at least to me...I haven't been following DL rumors lately so forgive me if this is old news). A new version of the map showed up on the servers today and it seems they're converting Stage 17 in DCA to retail space accessible from outside the park named the "Backlot Premiere Shop". Clever.

Backlot Premiere Shop.jpg

flutas

This is interesting (at least to me...I haven't been following DL rumors lately so forgive me if this is old news). A new version of the map showed up on the servers today and it seems they're converting Stage 17 in DCA to retail space accessible from outside the park named the "Backlot Premiere Shop". Clever.

View attachment 500702
Really curious, not showing up for me on app or website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom