Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

TP2000

You are not sharing plates with the people at the next table. You are sharing it with the people at your own table. The same people you went there with and probably live with. All the people at the same table who will be taking thier masks off to eat. And that you will ride in the same car with out a mask in your way home.

That still sounds like it's encouraging risky behavior, even within household groups. But there's no ability to regulate people from different households congregating together at the same table and then sharing plates.

Governor Newsom laid out clear guidelines for sharing food at outdoor Thanksgiving events (indoor Thanksgiving events are not allowed by Sacramento), and it clearly states that shared plates and serving containers are NOT to be used. All food should be in single-serve disposable containers. Disney really needs to stop branding this as "shared plates" and instead serve things in disposable one-time-use containers.

From the new Thanksgiving rules from Sacramento...
  • Shared items should not be used during a gathering. As much as possible, any food or beverages at outdoor gatherings must be in single-serve disposable containers. If providing single-serve containers is not possible, food and beverages must be served by a person who washes or sanitizes their hands frequently, and wears a face covering. Self-serve items from communal containers should not be used.

mickEblu

Great point, Hans. This isn't rocket science, it's Bartending 101 (or if you are at an Applebee's, Bartending 201). Although the gimmicky yet fun thing was the ice sphere they would put in the Manhattan.

I assume they will still do their Carthay Manhattan. But the rest of it?... Meh.

It's a slimmed down Sharing Plates menu, eliminating a few classic items like the biscuits and the duck and the filet.

And you don't get to eat inside the gorgeous dining room.

full

You are out on a generic SoCal stucco patio. Sharing plates, which makes absolutely no sense during a deadly pandemic.

Unless I read some fabulous review where there's some secret exotic offering or incredible storytelling moment offered out on the patio, I'm going to easily skip this. Carthay Circle without the Carthay is not worth it.

I don't envy TDA here. They are trying desperately to restart a business model of some sort, but it's not looking good so far. And we are heading into the non-patio dining season in SoCal. The forecast for tomorrow in Anaheim is cloudy skies, a high of 59 degrees, with a half inch of rain. On Sunday it's cloudy and much cooler, getting down to 39 degrees that night. This is not the season where you want to have dinner outdoors and share plates of generic Mediterranean fare.

Oh yes thanks for reminding about that time I stayed at the Disneyland hotel for our 1 year anniversary, made reservations at Carthay well in advance telling them it was my 1 year anni and they stuck us in some side room and not the main beautiful dining room. Disney magic baby!

D.Silentu

It's a slimmed down Sharing Plates menu, eliminating a few classic items like the biscuits and the duck and the filet.

And you don't get to eat inside the gorgeous dining room.
Quite right, this dampened my enthusiasm for the whole semi reopening. I've never eaten at Carthay because as much as I would enjoy a nice meal, I always feel that there are other more enticing uses of my finite time at the park. The partial reopening seemed to be the perfect opportunity to experience the restaurant and truly enjoy my time. Oh well!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Quite right, this dampened my enthusiasm for the whole semi reopening.

How about the nice patio on the second floor? That’s a nice compromise.I agree with the others who say the menu is disappointing. In a year of uncertainty and change why take away the fan favorite items? Especially for Mediterranean which we can find on every other block in So Cal.

D.Silentu

That sounds nice, but I think it still may be too much of a compromise for my liking. I suppose I'll have to be patient to experience the restaurant at its best.

SuddenStorm

How about the nice patio on the second floor? That’s a nice compromise.I agree with the others who say the menu is disappointing. In a year of uncertainty and change why take away the fan favorite items? Especially for Mediterranean which we can find on every other block in So Cal.

I wonder if the supply chain for restaurant food is interrupted or limited right now, making the costs for those items to be significantly higher than it was before?

Or, possibly the Food and Beverage CM's working the location aren't the ones that worked it prior to March- but are instead selected from the ones that remain due to seniority, and Disney doesn't want to train them to cook the delicate items Carthay used to prepare.

I have nothing to back this up but those are two guesses why the menu would be slashed like it has.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

No Patio. it is all outdoors, outside the building.

TP2000

I wonder if the supply chain for restaurant food is interrupted or limited right now, making the costs for those items to be significantly higher than it was before?

Or, possibly the Food and Beverage CM's working the location aren't the ones that worked it prior to March- but are instead selected from the ones that remain due to seniority, and Disney doesn't want to train them to cook the delicate items Carthay used to prepare.

I have nothing to back this up but those are two guesses why the menu would be slashed like it has.

Good thought.

A menu of generic "Mediterranean Sharing Plates!" is really just pasta and bread based heavy appetizers. At least that's what comes to my mind. And that kind of menu is very easy to prepare and operate a kitchen around.

This underwhelming reopening of Carthay Circle is probably more about keeping some CM's employed, which is exactly the info I got at the party I was at last night (along with a bunch of other info) that I'll reply to you about in the other thread where we were discussing the latest gossip.

mandelbrot

The Manhattan is a classic cocktail, easy to make, and the recipe uses basic ingredients available at any reputable bar or medium to high end restaurant in the US. Can we assume that one can still be ordered at Carthay even though it isn't featured on the menu?
Carthay uses Carpano Antica for their sweet vermouth which is much tastier (and much more expensive) than what most bars carry. It's a very real difference maker in a Manhattan which is why so many people are crazy about Carthay's version. Also, they usually get the proportions right which, again, isn't all that common outside of high end establishments.

mandelbrot

Good thought.

A menu of generic "Mediterranean Sharing Plates!" is really just pasta and bread based heavy appetizers. At least that's what comes to my mind. And that kind of menu is very easy to prepare and operate a kitchen around.

This underwhelming reopening of Carthay Circle is probably more about keeping some CM's employed, which is exactly the info I got at the party I was at last night (along with a bunch of other info) that I'll reply to you about in the other thread where we were discussing the latest gossip.
Carthay Circle is only opening up their lounge for the time being which is why the popular restaurant items aren't on the menu. There have always been separate lounge and restaurant menus. Rest assured the duck wings and biscuits, etc. will return once the restaurant actually opens.

SSG

Carthay uses Carpano Antica for their sweet vermouth which is much tastier (and much more expensive) than what most bars carry. It's a very real difference maker in a Manhattan which is why so many people are crazy about Carthay's version. Also, they usually get the proportions right which, again, isn't all that common outside of high end establishments.
I agree on the Manhattan. It's perfectly constructed. For the gin drinkers, another to try is the Aviation Cocktail: Plymouth Gin, Crème Yvette Violet Liqueur, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, and fresh Lemon Juice, served up.

This is amazing when made correctly. You have to get the Violet Liqueur right. It's very floral and if you get too much your Aviation will taste like a bowl of potpourri. The Carthay bartenders get it right.

Stevek

That's what's happening at many restaurants right now...limited menus based on both availability and desire to keep costs down due to uncertainty of being open or closed.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Good thought.

Oooooh, gossip?!

It really is disappointing that they've reopened Carthay Circle in such a way. Some of my favorite DLR meals were at Carthay and I loved the atmosphere. The lounge is simply amazing.

Can't wait to take the Missus there. I'm sure she would love it. Who doesn't love Hollywood in the 40s and 50s?

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Saw a video from you tubers I haven’t seen until now, Steve & Kai, film workers running the repair car on the monorail beam! So that’s fun!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom