Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

MarvelCharacterNerd

Who knows...would make sense though. It is odd that 3 days from opening and you can't yet make a dining reservation for Carthay.
They'll likely only do a virtual queue day of - since I think they already said that a mobile order won't get you inside BVS when they've hit capacity, they wouldn't want to do reservations when they couldn't fit someone in.

Stevek

They'll likely only do a virtual queue day of - since I think they already said that a mobile order won't get you inside BVS when they've hit capacity, they wouldn't want to do reservations when they couldn't fit someone in.
Thanks. I had not read that. All I saw that was smokejumpers would require a mobile order.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Im planning on going this Sunday. What should my strategy be? Get there at 9am or park at Gardenwalk and walk across Harbor. According to some, the area has been taken over by the homeless. I gave a guy $2 last week and he was very ungrateful and just mumbled.

mandelbrot

Who knows...would make sense though. It is odd that 3 days from opening and you can't yet make a dining reservation for Carthay.
The restaurant isn't opening. It's just the lounge. Maybe they'll do a virtual queue or maybe they'll take reservations for the first time.

fctiger

I still think it's funny that for all the care Disney says it's taking with coronavirus:

1) You can not reserve DtD entry and have to show up and hope it didnt reach capacity.

2) You can not reserve Buena Vista Street Entry and have to show up physically to enter a virtual queue for a chance to get in

It's like they are encouraging giant groups to show up and crowd the resort, knowing everyone can't get in.

This is a good point. Doesn't (or didn't) Disney Springs actually make you make reservations just to enter? I don't understand why they don't do the same thing here? I know there are no easy solutions and they probably want to make sure foot traffic stays up but considering people are waiting an hour just to get in, the reservation system would make more sense. They could make it where they split the time where you can enter in 3-4 hour intervals when you can enter to disperse the crowds during the day.

I had planned to go to DTD when it opened, but hearing how crazy the lines are alone just doesn't sound worth it to us. On top of that you're now around a large crowd of people waiting to get in which sort of kills the point. Maybe BVS may change our mind but no rush to do that either and just see how things play out first.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The restaurant isn't opening. It's just the lounge. Maybe they'll do a virtual queue or maybe they'll take reservations for the first time.
As they announced on Monday - virtual queue, no reservations:

"Carthay Circle Restaurant is introducing Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining, a new outdoor dining experience featuring flavorful Mediterranean-California fare and terrific views of Buena Vista Street. At this time, this restaurant will use a mobile waitlist system throughout the day to manage the number of guests dining when the location is at capacity."

AJFireman

Disney Parks Blog article on Monday the 16th says it will be a standby then virtual que as needed no reservations.

"The number of guests visiting the Downtown Disney District and its shopping and dining locations is limited to promote physical distancing. At some locations, including the World of Disney store, Marceline’s Confectionery, Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle Lounge – Alfresco Dining at Carthay Circle Restaurant, we may at times use a mobile waitlist system to manage the number of guests when the location and/or queue are at capacity. Guests can choose to provide their name and mobile number to receive a text message when they are able to return.* Disney California Adventure park is currently closed."

This is a good point. Doesn't (or didn't) Disney Springs actually make you make reservations just to enter? I don't understand why they don't do the same thing here? I know there are no easy solutions and they probably want to make sure foot traffic stays up but considering people are waiting an hour just to get in, the reservation system would make more sense.
Disney Springs has never required reservations to enter. They have had their capacity days very few that I am aware of and required a wait to get in but not like DTD which is pretty much every weekend. I think they do it purposeful because it works for them and they can get away with it. It creates a fear of missing out attitude with people same way some of their merchandise and wait in long lines for that as well. Since this is the time of year that Merchandise and seasonal atmosphere changes often they gotta go back and see whats new. Its not a one and done for die hard fans.

Darkbeer1

I'm not sure about Disney Springs but this whole thing seems as inconvenient as many of Disney's offerings. I absolutely love the idea of first come first serve, and early bird gets the worm, but Disney does it worse than anyone.

I have no idea why Disney didn't just hand the first 10000 people in the parks passes for Rise of the Resistance. The way they did things with having to park at 630, line up, then try to be in the gates at 730 to use your phone at 8 as a lottery, makes no sense.

Now they are doing the same type of thing but during the pandemic. I know they are trying to avoid bots from snatching things up, but all they have to do is implement a queue based website with periodic captchas.

Instead they want people to cram in to attend a human lottery, during a pandemic...
Why not do what Knott's and Six Flags are doing?

Selling pay in advance reservations?

Limit the amount of passes sold to control capacity, and guarantee income.

Paying in advance foils the bots, if they check id's.

fctiger

I'm not sure about Disney Springs but this whole thing seems as inconvenient as many of Disney's offerings. I absolutely love the idea of first come first serve, and early bird gets the worm, but Disney does it worse than anyone.

I have no idea why Disney didn't just hand the first 10000 people in the parks passes for Rise of the Resistance. The way they did things with having to park at 630, line up, then try to be in the gates at 730 to use your phone at 8 as a lottery, makes no sense.

Now they are doing the same type of thing but during the pandemic. I know they are trying to avoid bots from snatching things up, but all they have to do is implement a queue based website with periodic captchas.

Instead they want people to cram in to attend a human lottery, during a pandemic...

It just doesn't seem to make any sense, especially if the point is to limit capacity. So instead of having it overflow inside DTD, you don't mind it overflows outside of it? This is literally why you reserve to go in the theme parks, so they don't have to worry about thousands showing up and pushing capacity. I just don't get it, if you can limit people going to the parks, why not for DTD as well?

And I never even thought about that idea for ROTR. Such a great point, just have it for first come, first serve. And the people who get there first will be rewarded, ie, Fast passes. Such a simple idea but apparently TOO simple for Disney lol. They want people to really work for it.

Last edited:

el_super

This is absolutely fine.

Heck, they did it with Galaxys Edge Reservations (although those were unpaid) and it made the whole experience pleasant.

Yeah, but with Galaxy's Edge, they had a lot of people make reservations, with no intention of actually booking a trip.

So you can imagine a lot of people would book reservations for Downtown Disney on Saturday, and then on Wednesday decide they don't want to go. Maybe it's too hot, or they had a bad day at work, or they got really into a show on Netflix.

They could counter this the way they did with the dining reservations, by adding a cash deposit, but that could just end up discouraging people from coming at all.

el_super

I don't see an issue with people not showing up.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I absolutely agree with you. But if you are Disney and you need to maximize your revenue, you need to make sure that Downtown Disney is almost always full, and not underutilized because a large number of people had reservations and no intention of going. If the reservations are too easy to get, you can have a situation where they are 'sold' out within minutes, and that discourages people from coming at all.

Of course there are other considerations too. It's entirely possible that this mess of humanity will be something seen just in the first couple days, as bloggers and super fans (i guess) desperately want to be the first to see Buena Vista Street, but after that reservations aren't necessary and the expense of adapting the app or creating something new to handle the reservations wouldn't be justified.

They could have at least sprung for some guest control CMs though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom