Does it annoy you when...

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Does it annoy you when people don't do their Disney vacations properly? It drives me crazy!!! :lol:

I know two families who recently went to Disney. The first family has one son who is 6. He had never been to Disney before. They went back in May as part of the buy four get three free deal. When they got back I asked them how long their wait times were because I knew it was a real busy time. They said most rides had over an hour wait and that all the fastpasses were gone by the time they got there. I asked them if they were there when the parked open. They said no, that they slept in every morning and got to the parks around 11. I felt like saying, well there's your problem right there!

Another family I know went a few weeks ago. They have 2 children, a 10 year old and 5 year old. The 10 year old has been once before when she was 4. The five year old had never been. They stayed off property. When they got back I asked them about their trip. They said they only spent two days in Disney- one a MK and one at EP. I was like, well what did you do for the rest of the time? They said, oh just hung out at the hotel pool. Who goes all the way to Orlando and only goes to Disney twice? Weird! :lol:

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else ever feels like saying to the people you know, you sit back and relax- I'll plan your trip for you!

Oh and ps- the 2nd family has picture of the crane in all their castle shots, sad...

WishIwasThere

Does it annoy you when people don't do their Disney vacations properly? It drives me crazy!!! :lol:

I know two families who recently went to Disney. The first family has one son who is 6. He had never been to Disney before. They went back in May as part of the buy four get three free deal. When they got back I asked them how long their wait times were because I knew it was a real busy time. They said most rides had over an hour wait and that all the fastpasses were gone by the time they got there. I asked them if they were there when the parked open. They said no, that they slept in every morning and got to the parks around 11. I felt like saying, well there's your problem right there!

Another family I know went a few weeks ago. They have 2 children, a 10 year old and 5 year old. The 10 year old has been once before when she was 4. The five year old had never been. They stayed off property. When they got back I asked them about their trip. They said they only spent two days in Disney- one a MK and one at EP. I was like, well what did you do for the rest of the time? They said, oh just hung out at the hotel pool. Who goes all the way to Orlando and only goes to Disney twice? Weird! :lol:

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else ever feels like saying to the people you know, you sit back and relax- I'll plan your trip for you!

Oh and ps- the 2nd family has picture of the crane in all their castle shots, sad...

But on the flip side...there are people that look at you and me and say "you're going to Disney World again...didn't you just go there?" Some people just don't understand Disney vacations.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
My thoughts as well. Who is it for us to say how others should spend their vacations (time & money)? Too each his own :shrug:

Ok seriously, I meant in a harmless way. It's not like I said I wan't going to be their friend anymore... You guys are too serious! :p

atburdick

Rest or Play?

I agree with you 100%. I spend every last possible minute at the parks (at least a full day in each then we go back to our favorites - I've only been there 3 times/I live in NY). However, invariably, I am tired and the kids (2) are cranky by 1 pm. Every guide book I've read says to go early in the morning then after lunch, go back to the hotel (which is easy on property) to relax and swim and then go back to the park in the evening. In the long run, its a better spend of time in the parks.
Everyone has to find their right balance but there should be a balance of playing and relaxing!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I agree with you 100%. I spend every last possible minute at the parks (at least a full day in each then we go back to our favorites - I've only been there 3 times/I live in NY). However, I and am invariably tired and the kids (2) are cranky by 1 pm. Every guide book I've read says to go early in the morning then after lunch, go back to the hotel (which is easy on property) to relax and swim and then go back to the park in the evening. In the long run, its a better spend of time in the parks.
Everyone has to find their right balance but there should be a balance of playing and relaxing!

Actually, to be fair, I've never gone to Disney with small children. I went once as a teenager and twice as an adult with other adults. So who knows, maybe when I go back sometime with kids of mine own, my touring schedule will be much different :)

bgraham34

What really annoys me is people who ask me for advice and then they don't listen to my advice. I always think why do I waste my own time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It does not annoy me, it makes me feel kind of sad. I hear story after story of people throwing down huge bank for a trip to WDW and the trips were ruined simply because they were not prepared. What tends to annoy me is when the people that do this blame Disney for their bad time. You hear the same thing all the time....

Guest: "It was too crowded and hot!"
Me: "When did you go?"
Guest: "Late June"

Guest: "The lines were too long!"
Me: "What time did you get to the parks"
Guest: "Real early....we were there by noon everyday"
Me: "Did you use fastpass?"
Guest: "No. It cost extra."

Guest: "All the restaurants were full!"
Me: "When did you try to make reservation?"
Guest: "Disney does not take dining reservations."

And so on.

It is really a shame to. WDW is a wonderful place but you have to do at least a little planning.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
It does not annoy me, it makes me feel kind of sad. I hear story after story of people throwing down huge bank for a trip to WDW and the trips were ruined simply because they were not prepared. What tends to annoy me is when the people that do this blame Disney for their bad time. You hear the same thing all the time....

Guest: "It was too crowded and hot!"
Me: "When did you go?"
Guest: "Late June"

Guest: "The lines were too long!"
Me: "What time did you get to the parks"
Guest: "Real early....we were there by noon everyday"
Me: "Did you use fastpass?"
Guest: "No. It cost extra."

Guest: "All the restaurants were full!"
Me: "When did you try to make reservation?"
Guest: "Disney does not take dining reservations."

And so on.

It is really a shame to. WDW is a wonderful place but you have to do at least a little planning.

That's exactly how I feel! I guess I know how great a Disney vacation can be if you really plan it out. And I feel bad, like they didn't get the best of Disney, if they do things differently.

luvlifeinfl

For us we have gone every yr since 2005 and each yr we tighten our plans up even more.

Like this yr we have 9 days only 4 of those days we plan on parks, the others are to just relax.

I mean I understand when some one ask you for advise and for having been their you can give them 1 st hand experiance.

i know we have friends that have asked to go w/ us, but they are not planners and just want to wing it and we have tried to explain to them out how we have things scheduled out and they do not know how we can be so regimented on our vacation, again trying to explain to them that if you want to get the most for your money then you need to plan. If their mind set is to not plan then they are not going to get the most from their vacation.

DisneyLeo18

Well my family was headed down 12/3-12/7 and i was originally not going because i have a trip scheduled for 12/30-1/3. Now one of my friends wants to go so me and him are going. My parents are on a 1:00 pm flight which was fine with me since the only one before that was 6:30 am.

Now when i informed said friend he told me we are taking the 6:30 am flight because he didnt want to waste a day. I go to disney twice a year and the thought of leaving at 6:30 didnt enter my mind!! :ROFLOL:

I guess i can say some people go further than others but im not in favor of wasting time and will be flying out of JFK at 6:30 am.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
For the most part, I'll let people make their own mistakes. It's their right, and it keeps the lines shorter for the rest of us!
However, there's a big part of me that's peeved that someone would spend the money for a Disney vacation, and not bother researching it before hand. To me, you may as well be throwing your money away. Again, it's their right, but that kind of money could be spent on something better.

toetheline29

It's their right, and it keeps the lines shorter for the rest of us!

So true! :ROFLOL:

WDW is not a good destination for people who are looking for a trip full of spontaneity. Some forethought is required (especially if you've never been before), and a lot of people don't realize that. I don't really have a problem with people who don't plan as long as they still have a good time. They might not maximize their fun, but as long as they still enjoy it, it's fine with me (some people can have a great time if they're not there at rope drop, miss some of the major attractions, and each counter service the entire trip - after all, the atmosphere at WDW is one of the things us obsessed people like most too).

But it bugs me when you hear people complaining about how crowded it is, lines, prices, etc, when you know it's all their fault.

For example, one time, we went at the same time as another family we know. They had never been to WDW, and we had been going to several years and had a plan, so we decided we would tour separately, but meet for dinner and attend a fireworks show together. This way, we could go the way that works best for us, and they could get to experience what they wanted without us rushing them along. We bumped in to them in Tomorrowland one day just after lunch, as we were on our way out of the park for our usual midday break. They had just gotten to the park, and while the mom and kids were having a decent time just taking everything in, the dad was already vowing never to return :brick:(the lines were long, it was hot, people everywhere - your typical MK afternoon). I don't think they have been back. I don't think they would have become annual visiters or anything anyway, but I feel bad that they miss out on the Disney magic.

RiversideBunny

I don't like it when little kids get taken to WDW for the first time but the parents don't do any checking on what WDW is and don't plan for it.

Common mistakes are going in mid summer like July, sleeping late and not being at the park when it opens, and not properly using Fast Pass.
Also, related to getting to the parks early is not taking a mid day break. Instead the kids are pushed to the limit and sometimes over it.

Parents: Buy a guide book before you go. Any guide book. And ask advice from people who go to WDW a lot.

IMHO
:)

foreverbelle

No, it doesn't annoy me. I view it as, I have been enough times to know what to do, what not to do. But I know not everyone is that lucky. So it is a learning experience. Believe me the first time I went as an adult, and left the planning to my husband who had never been it didn't turn out quite the way we thought it was going to be, and things happened. But you better believe the next time we made sure to do the dinning plan, and make reservations and what not.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I went for the first time in early 2001, we had no plan, not a clue how anything worked and ultimately we muddled through and enjoyed ourselves. After that trip I started doing some research and we had better and better trips. Then I found this site and our trips have been fantastic [just got home last night].

I think Disney should advertise that a vacation there is not the same as other destinations and planning ahead is recommended.

WDW 3

It bothers me when we hear back from friends that have gone in part because we have such a great time and encourange them to go only to hear they really don't care if they ever go back:(

In all instances they have stayed off property and booked a package that included tickets to WDW, Universal and Seaworld and a condo. They only have a week and try to cram it all in, so they didn't have time to enjoy themselves. We ask them if they liked this or that and the response is didn't do it, couldn't wait if there was a line.

Since I feel semi responsible for the vacation they took and didn't enjoy I feel I have the right to judge "a little".

tractorm3

well yes i do get a bit anoyed with people that spend tons of money then only go to the parks once or twice during a week! but different people vacation different ways.

I am very much a disney guy and I wake EVERYONE up at 7am so we can be there in plenty of time to see that parks open and try and stay as long as I can. but we are almost ready for another vacation at the end of our WDW trip because it almost is a sprint but i love it that way and always cant wait to go back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom