Does it annoy you when...

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I guess i can say some people go further than others but im not in favor of wasting time and will be flying out of JFK at 6:30 am.

I used to do the exact same thing when I lived 15 minutes from LGA and didn't yet own DVC. This was also back in the day when you could get to the airport 30 minutes before your flight--there was no security line to go through. We'd land before 10am, get the rental car, and maybe just lucked out, but whichever resort we were staying in always had a room ready for us to check in to. We'd unpack, and be in a park by lunchtime!!

Upon joining DVC, we discovered that when they say 4pm checkin time, they mean 4pm. And on our first DVC trip, we discovered that without that short "decompression time" in the room before heading to the parks, we be very cranky--and cranky people do not have much fun at WDW. :ROFLOL:

Now we take the 11am flight, get the rental car, stop at the supermarket for provisions, check in, unpack, and get to the park in time for dinner. :shrug: And since we now live 45 minutes from the airport, we still have to get up pretty early!!

jmicro59

I went for the first time in early 2001, we had no plan, not a clue how anything worked and ultimately we muddled through and enjoyed ourselves. After that trip I started doing some research and we had better and better trips. Then I found this site and our trips have been fantastic [just got home last night].

I think Disney should advertise that a vacation there is not the same as other destinations and planning ahead is recommended.

Shhhhhhh... then everyone will come prepared and the rest of us who know how to get around the parks will suffer. :ROFLOL:

dianna

So much more at Disney than the rides

My dd 14, ds10 and I went on our first ever Disney vacation this summer, aug 10-14. I planned for months, I've never been a planner before, but I was a little obessed with this vacation, it was the biggest we'd ever taken. I had times set to go to the parks for the rope drop,( we never made one) routes planned for fastpasses, adr's, top 3 rides to go to ect. These plans were rarely followed, even though I truely enjoyed making them. Once we got there I realized there is so much more to Disney, the people are a joy to watch, the gardens were wonderful, and the fountains were a blast! I'm so glad we took it easy and stopped to smell the flowers, play in and watch the fountains, once we lined up at the side of main street with all the other people, we didn't know why, I guess there was gonna be a parade, we missed it, but watching people advoid a balloon tied to a stroller parked on a crowded main st was very entertaining. We will probably never be able to return to Disney but it truely was a trip to remember. Thanks Disney!!!:king:

worldfanatic

People should do whatever makes them happy.

For me, the thought of arriving at the parks at opening time and leaving at closing time every day is a nightmare.
Relaxing at Disney resorts make my favorite memories.

We're all different.

But I do agree that people who blame Disney after they fail to plan their own vacation correctly are dweebs!

CastleBound

Does it annoy you when people don't do their Disney vacations properly? It drives me crazy!!! :lol:

Hey, I'm with you!! now I'm all for families and people planning their vacations their own way. If they want to do it that way then ok i guess. I wouldn't really call the trips wrong, but I would say many people are not optimizing their trips to the fullest. Their are plenty of ways to do things on budget and I think many don't see that. If I'm going to the parks, I wanna do it right and maximize the level of fun and enjoyment as much as I can. This comes down to planning, reservations, days, which parks and such.

Not that others are wrong, but just not planning to the fullest. Thats the way I see it!

WDWmazprty

It's true. People actually need to be schooled in how to do a Disney vacation right. Because Idon't know about you, but it doesn't make any sense to save up all year (save up a lot of money mind you) for a WDW vacation and spend half the day sleeping, or just go for 2 days, etc.

If I wanna go on a vacation too sleep, I'll go somewhere else. You go to Disney to MAINLY enjoy the parks. Maybe I'm weird, and so be it. I'm not judging anyone-do what you want on your Disney vacation; but if you ask me if you're doing it the right way, I'll tell you the truth. :D

mousebymarriage

But on the flip side...there are people that look at you and me and say "you're going to Disney World again...didn't you just go there?" Some people just don't understand Disney vacations.
I get the same question every time we go. Then they just don't understand when I say "yeah, I'm going back. I haven't been there since last year". They usually just look at me with a blank stare! :lookaroun

OP... what really drives me crazy is when someone asks for your advice about their upcoming Disney vacation and you spend a ton of time "educating" them about Disney ,then when they return all they do is complain. When you ask them "well did you do___ like we discussed or ___ like I mentioned?" they answer no. When someone asks my advice about Disney I don't care if they take it or not I just love talking to people about Disney. My problem is when people ask your advice then don't take it or do the complete opposite of what you told them to do and then they complain about their vacation.

Wishes 1971

I guess that's why it's called Magic Your Way.....

That’s the great thing about Disney….it can be so many different things to different people. I have visited with extended family (on both sides) as well as only with my immediate family…..about 10 times in the past 13 years.

With my in-laws, they like to arrive at the park….mid morning, and their first destination is a restaurant. When we ride a ride, we disembark and take 15 minutes deciding what to do next!!!! However, at the end of the day….they’ve thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

On the other hand, when we visit with my family (17 members), we hit the park when the gates open, run from run to ride, and shut the park(s) down….and yes, we’ve even done this with five (5) family members under the age of 6.. Everything has been planned (usually a day and a half worth of activities….yet only a day to do them)…..In my opinion….too hectic….but yet, at the end of the day, my family has thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Now….my wife and I find ourselves somewhere in between. We arrive early, leave late, have a plan….but don’t rush. We may not get in everything we plan, but we’ve done enough to have an enjoyable visit. We’ve learned to take time to enjoy a show, do character visits, watch a parade….you name it. In my opinion, this is the way to do Disney….BUT, I’ve learned, it’s not the way everyone does Disney. My in-laws think we rush, my family thinks we’ve wasted tooooo much time….and yet, I feel we do it just right!!!!

I guess that’s the Magic of Disney……

DecWDW

I guess I feel a bit annoyed, but mostly sad when someone doesn't research and then they say they didn't like it and it was due to their poor planning. But oh well, if they don't ever go back again, more room for us, right?

Monorail_Orange

Whenever I hear someone going for the first time, and making many of the complaints mentioned above afterwards...i.e. "It was too crowded, and we went at Thanksgiving!" Or "We could never get FP, and we got to the parks early...the latest we got there was noon!" It's always followed up by, "I don't know how you can stand to go there so often." It doesn't so much annoy me, so much as I want to take these people back with me so I can show them how it's done!

Phonedave

I used to do the exact same thing when I lived 15 minutes from LGA and didn't yet own DVC. This was also back in the day when you could get to the airport 30 minutes before your flight--there was no security line to go through. We'd land before 10am, get the rental car, and maybe just lucked out, but whichever resort we were staying in always had a room ready for us to check in to. We'd unpack, and be in a park by lunchtime!!

Upon joining DVC, we discovered that when they say 4pm checkin time, they mean 4pm. And on our first DVC trip, we discovered that without that short "decompression time" in the room before heading to the parks, we be very cranky--and cranky people do not have much fun at WDW. :ROFLOL:

Now we take the 11am flight, get the rental car, stop at the supermarket for provisions, check in, unpack, and get to the park in time for dinner. :shrug: And since we now live 45 minutes from the airport, we still have to get up pretty early!!

I used to take the first flight out of Newark, but the problem is getting a ride to the airport at that hour.

We now take the second or third flight out.

Oh, I hjust got back from two weeks vacation - our DVC room at ALK was ready at check in at around noon, and when returning from the Cruise, our WL DVC room was ready at exactly 10:00 AM (thats when they sent me the text) :)

-dave

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
OKW takes their 4pm seriously. :lol: I guess I wouldn't know anymore, because we don't get there until about 4 for the past few years. It's all good.

I'm just as happy to get there for dinner as for lunch. After all, it's vacation, and now that I do have DVC and know I'll be going back often, I don't have to get up for the 6:30 am flight. :)

durangojim

As long as someone seems content with their vacation, then I have no problem with it. However should someone state that there's nothing to do at WDW or some other rediculous observation that is derogatory towards WDW, I feel it is my duty to enlighten them. In a nice way of course:)

Stellajack

We recently completed our 10th or 11th trip since 1998, and though we haven't had nearly the park experience as others on this board, we have been to Disney enough to learn how to plan each park day and what to avoid, if possible, for our own enjoyment.

Others who know us personally often ask advice about their upcoming vacations to Disney. We always tell first-timers to use a plan from the Unofficial Guide so that they can see all the class Disney attractions on their 1st visit. In this way, they will know which ones they want to leave off or return to see on their next visit. At least they will have seen most or all of the major attractions.

We always refer them to the WDWMAGIC.COM site to ask questions and receive more information than they can possibly imagine.

We always tell them about FASTPASS and when and why they should use these.

We tell them about EMHs for the parks and why they are so great.

But, in the end their vacation is their own and their first trip is the starting point for a lifetime of WDW planning!! They will not be satisfied until they return!!:sohappy:

DisneyCanadian

a co-worker of mine just came back from wdw last week, he surprised his 7 year old daughter

neither of them have ever been, he did not get the dining plan, i know some are not a fan of it, however as a first timer i would recommend getting the dining plan as it saves time and money, less hastle in my opinion

I_heart_Tigger

The worst story I've heard for a Disney vacation is when a friend of mine in Jr high went with her family. She was 13 her brother was 11 and her parents went to the parks everyday BY THEMSELVES and got a sitter to entertain the kids by the hotel pool. :veryconfu:brick::shrug::hammer:

They stayed at a Days Inn so my friend never once set foot on Disney property the whole trip

harveyt0206

For me, it isn't so much the pace that someone chooses for their vacation. I could care less if someone only spends 2 hours a day at the parks, as long as they are doing exactly what they want and enjoying themselves. IMO, that means they need to at least research what the park has to offer during the times they are visiting - shows, parades, fireworks schedules, etc..... I admit that I am a freak when it comes to planning my trips, but that is also part of the fun for me. WDW has sooooo much to offer. Even minimal research prior to the trip will give the inexperienced WDW vacationer lots to think about.

DABIGCHEEZ

The worst story I've heard for a Disney vacation is when a friend of mine in Jr high went with her family. She was 13 her brother was 11 and her parents went to the parks everyday BY THEMSELVES and got a sitter to entertain the kids by the hotel pool. :veryconfu:brick::shrug::hammer:

They stayed at a Days Inn so my friend never once set foot on Disney property the whole trip

Hello DYFS, I know this family that went to Florida and...:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom