Do you think we will have the best FYL after its expansion?

EPCOT Explorer

No other theme park deserves to be next to TDS.... maybe DAK.... but no other park! :lookaroun:lol::lookaroun

I'd like to think one day this will just magically be posted here

"Disney Sea leaked concept art for WDW"
DAK just needs a ton more. I like it and all, but there needs to be a few more rides...or a land...;) before it can really be a fantastic park.

But in the sense of thematics, story and theme? It owns.

DLP with WDW's Splash Mountain + Epcot + TDS + DHS with Cars Land + DAK = greatest Disney resort ever.
:sohappy:

YES....But EPCOT Center, please. ;) For the 21st Century...or 22nd Century, if you look at it right.:lol:

And interestingly enough...that's kind of possible in WDW.:lookaroun

_Scar

I still have faith a high up will realize a park should be announced in planning in 2011. By then, the economy will probably be out of the dumps too (hopefully)

DisneyParksFan1

Original Poster
I still have faith a high up will realize a park should be announced in planning in 2011. By then, the economy will probably be out of the dumps too (hopefully)

I think they should just fix what they have now. I'm hoping for the existing Fantasyland to get a full overhauls and an announcement on a New Tomorrowland for WDW in 2011.

_Scar

Things still get fixed and added no matter what. They need to keep attendance in each park very, very high no matter what

RSoxNo1

Are you saying you'd like to see a 5th gate announcement for WDW by 2011?

If so, I anticipate the next stateside park will be built in California, and I imagine we won't hear the announcement of that park before 2014 at the very earliest.

As for WDW - if and when they do build a 5th gate, they need to actually employ the plan they wanted to use for the Animal Kingdom. That is, have a major addition at each of the other 3 parks opening at the same time.

Say we're looking at something like 2020 for the 5th gate at WDW. Disney has the tendency to build half parks upon opening, and then get people coming back with phased expansions. This was the case with MGM, AK, DCA, Hong Kong, and Disney Studios Paris.
1. Any new park needs to be close to a full day park upon opening.
2. Every other park needs a D/E ticket quality attraction opening at approximately the same time (Something that is at least the scope of Toy Story Mania)
3. Continue with the phased plans for new parks and have a major addition to the 5th gate within 3-5 years.

EPCOT Explorer

Are you saying you'd like to see a 5th gate announcement for WDW by 2011?

If so, I anticipate the next stateside park will be built in California, and I imagine we won't hear the announcement of that park before 2014 at the very earliest.

As for WDW - if and when they do build a 5th gate, they need to actually employ the plan they wanted to use for the Animal Kingdom. That is, have a major addition at each of the other 3 parks opening at the same time.

Say we're looking at something like 2020 for the 5th gate at WDW. Disney has the tendency to build half parks upon opening, and then get people coming back with phased expansions. This was the case with MGM, AK, DCA, Hong Kong, and Disney Studios Paris.
1. Any new park needs to be close to a full day park upon opening.
2. Every other park needs a D/E ticket quality attraction opening at approximately the same time (Something that is at least the scope of Toy Story Mania)
3. Continue with the phased plans for new parks and have a major addition to the 5th gate within 3-5 years.
And that's only if they continue on a upward trend...and expand in DAK, MGM, and even EPCOT, too.

I could see it in 10 years...:lol:

_Scar

Not even an announcement per say. Maybe just some reassurance that they're designing a new theme park or something to get excited about.

EpcotServo

EDIT: Mis-read your post... thought you were talking about using it at the top, reapply what I've written for the interior, it would work in much the same way...
I can see this working really well. You would reach the top of the mounatain and see the broken track, like normal, but then you would hear a creak and a loud snap of metal and splintering wood, accompannied by a roar, and the whole track tips forward to almost horizontal (past this would mean rethemeing of the area beheind the mountain, and I don't think it woul work without a large rework of the area beheind...) So you tip back a forth and then you sit there at horizontal for a bit and see a large hand reach around and a roar. At which point you collapse, with a loud noise, back onto the track now it's switched and continue the ride... That would certainly add another level.

"If we can dream it, we can do it"

But I prefer the lesser known but equally important "Just because you can dream it, doesn't mean you should do it."

Seriously, Everest would lose all the story points it builds by blowing up the ride to complicated potions. The whole point of the Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, is that the Legend never jumps out, grabs your track, dances around it, gives you a wink, then launches you into a laser cave with elaborate pyrotechnics with laser projections of yetis as it flies around in a 60MPH death spiral to Sting's immortal "Shock the Monkey"

:lol:

The great part of Everest is that it's a thrilling and impressive ride, but it never once loses believability. The track is weak-But stable...If the track does give way, there's no second track to save your life...You yourself have an encounter that's similarly brief but mysterious, just like the legend...Even at it's most fantastic, It's still a believable thrill ride.

The opposite is Revenge of the Mummy. It's a great ride...But for all the impressive effects and random dramatic, but out of place events, do you ever actually buy that you're in Egypt after the car departs the station? No. BECAUSE for all the impressiveness- You don't ever really know what exactly is going on. Is it a movie, is it a real curse, have we left the set, is it all just a ride, are we in a real tomb, etc.

All questions I can live with because I love the ride and understand it. But I think it's proof that sometimes you should spend a little less time with random special effects and ride track tricks, and more time with a solid story.

DAK just needs a ton more. I like it and all, but there needs to be a few more rides...or a land...;) before it can really be a fantastic park.

Says the person who hasn't been on ANY of the Six Major Attractions? I think it's more than completely unfair to say a park isn't fantastic yet because it needs more attractions if you haven't been on really any of the attractions it does have in the first place.

:lol:

lazyboy97o

:rolleyes:

You don't want more? I do. :shrug:
Which is exactly why you should not want a fifth park to open any time soon. A fifth park is going to be a massive expenditure that will provide very little return on investment. Any money that does flow into a fifth park is going to be at the expense of it flowing into Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, as people will just opt to not visit or spend less time at those parks first. Slightly Higher Revenues - Significantly Higher Operating Costs = Less Money at the End of the Day.

_Scar

Which is exactly why you should not want a fifth park to open any time soon. A fifth park is going to be a massive expenditure that will provide very little return on investment. Any money that does flow into a fifth park is going to be at the expense of it flowing into Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, as people will just opt to not visit or spend less time at those parks first. Slightly Higher Revenues - Significantly Higher Operating Costs = Less Money at the End of the Day.

The way I look at it: if Disney went with that way of thinking back in the 90s then I would of never experienced one of my favorite parks: DAK. The parks automatically get updated eventually to make them more relevant.

lazyboy97o

The way I look at it: if Disney went with that way of thinking back in the 90s then I would of never experienced one of my favorite parks: DAK. The parks automatically get updated eventually to make them more relevant.
It is not a "way of thinking". It is a fact that was clearly demonstrated by Disney's Animal Kingdom. The opening of EPCOT Center saw guests extend their stays. The opening of the Disney-MGM Studios saw guests extend their stays, but at a lesser volume. The opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom saw people try to cram in more or just skip a park, and far too often it was the new park that was skipped. There is nothing to suggest that a fifth park will reverse the trend and once again cause guests to extend their stays.

Reversing the trend is first going to require a much larger change in the vacation habits of Americans and American companies. That is an issue the Walt Disney Company is not in a position to change. An amazing "must see" group of parks will not do that.

tirian

The opposite is Revenge of the Mummy. It's a great ride...But for all the impressive effects and random dramatic, but out of place events, do you ever actually buy that you're in Egypt after the car departs the station? No. BECAUSE for all the impressiveness- You don't ever really know what exactly is going on. Is it a movie, is it a real curse, have we left the set, is it all just a ride, are we in a real tomb, etc.

All questions I can live with because I love the ride and understand it. But I think it's proof that sometimes you should spend a little less time with random special effects and ride track tricks, and more time with a solid story.

That's almost exactly how I felt when I rode ROTM shortly after it opened. However, I did understand the storyline; basically, you're on a hot set of a "Mummy" movie, and the production is using authentic props. But the curse is real, and King Whatever/Whoever chases you through the movie set, eventually transporting you to hell. Then you somehow escape hell and make it back to the studio. My problem with ROTM is that the storyline itself is extremely fragmented and just plain silly. The ride goes like this:
-"Watch out! The curse is real!"

-"Bwahahaha, I'm going to get you!"

*Some events*

*some events*

*some more events*

*an event*

-"Bwahahaha, I'm taking you to hell!!!!!!!"

*a dip*

-"Whew, you made it!"

I thought I missed something the first time I rode it and immediately got back in line. Nope, I didn't miss anything. The ride simply wasn't convincing or engrossing. A coherent storyline was discarded in favor of cheap, jump-out-and-scare-'em "thrills."

The opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom saw people try to cram in more or just skip a park, and far too often it was the new park that was skipped. There is nothing to suggest that a fifth park will reverse the trend and once again cause guests to extend their stays.

Reversing the trend is first going to require a much larger change in the vacation habits of Americans and American companies. That is an issue the Walt Disney Company is not in a position to change. An amazing "must see" group of parks will not do that.

Yeah, what he said. :D

_Scar

That's almost exactly how I felt when I rode ROTM shortly after it opened. However, I did understand the storyline; basically, you're on a hot set of a "Mummy" movie, and the production is using authentic props. But the curse is real, and King Whatever/Whoever chases you through the movie set, eventually transporting you to hell. Then you somehow escape hell and make it back to the studio. My problem with ROTM is that the storyline itself is extremely fragmented and just plain silly. The ride goes like this:
-"Watch out! The curse is real!"

*Some events*

*some events*

*some more events*

*an event*

-"Bwahahaha, I'm taking you to hell!!!!!!!"

*a dip*

-"Whew, you made it!"

I thought I missed something the first time I rode it and immediately got back in line. Nope, I didn't miss anything. The ride simply wasn't convincing or engrossing. A coherent storyline was discarded in favor of cheap, jump-out-and-scare-'em "thrills."

Most rides involve someone "trying to get you"

And the ride storyline is no sillier than any other storyline. I don't get why people play this card.

The ride is:

"Watch out! The curse is real!"
*oooh treasure* narrow espace
Beetles invade
*backwards*
"Not even the Magi can save you now! Death is the only way! Your Souls belong to me! "
*fake exit leading to photo op drop*
Brendan

So, there's only like 3 maybe. :lol:

I just LOVEEEEEEEEEE this ride SOOOOO much. You made me miss it even more writing those quotations! :eek:

There are no jump-out scares on Mummy.... Have we rode the same ride? Are you just easily scared by the treasure room figures? Hard to believe since they are delayed a few seconds.... and the queue is gorgeous! And nothing on that ride is cheap. They use such great effects for just a roller coaster. Really proud of Uni. If Harry is as good as Mummy, then it'll be a smash hit (at least in my eyes)

DisneyParksFan1

Original Poster
If WDW was to open a new park, I would say it would be about 15 years from now. That's if they are planning on fixing up their current parks.

2010-2013=MK's FYL Expansion
then they may begin fixing up Tomorrowland in MK so that probably takes about 2 to 3 years so 2014-2016
Then they may go ahead with DHS=2017-2019
Then DAK=2020-2022

That's if they do it in that order. If they do it like this I would be pleased.

RSoxNo1

It is not a "way of thinking". It is a fact that was clearly demonstrated by Disney's Animal Kingdom. The opening of EPCOT Center saw guests extend their stays. The opening of the Disney-MGM Studios saw guests extend their stays, but at a lesser volume. The opening of Disney's Animal Kingdom saw people try to cram in more or just skip a park, and far too often it was the new park that was skipped. There is nothing to suggest that a fifth park will reverse the trend and once again cause guests to extend their stays.

This was about execution though. The plan was to open new attractions at each of the other parks at around the same time of the Animal Kingdom (Test Track and David Copperfield's Magic Underground). The objective was to have an overflow of new experiences that people would be forced to extend their vacations.

Instead people skipped out on days at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM in favor of the new park. This then caused Disney to panic and use the money earmarked for Beastly Kingdom to help out the other parks. It was a string of bad decisions at the end of the Eisner era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom