Do you think we will have the best FYL after its expansion?

DisneyParksFan1

Original Poster
I just don't see it :rolleyes::p

To me, EE is themed amazingly outside and inside. The ride is not the kind of ride to find detail once on the ride, and still there is with the temple. This isn't Splash Mountain, and there's no need for themeing throughout the whole thrill ride.

Pick a better argument or at least justify why there should be more themeing and where!

Agreed... and how in the world did we go from talking about FYL to EE VS. Mummy? Lolz. So anyway FYL would be the best if they also refurbished the existing FYL.

SirGoofy

I just don't see it :rolleyes::p

To me, EE is themed amazingly outside and inside. The ride is not the kind of ride to find detail once on the ride, and still there is with the temple. This isn't Splash Mountain, and there's no need for themeing throughout the whole thrill ride.

Need? What do you mean need? When EE was being built, it was touted as being fully immersive and filled with greta theming. The queue and area surrounding it sure does, but other than the Temple, Cavern, and Yeti, it doesn't have squat on the ride.

If they thought like that when BTM was built, I shudder to think what it would look like today. I'm sure the town of Tumbleweed wouldn't be there. I mean you're going too fast to really see anything! All the other things on the side of the ride path? Forget it! You're going way to fast

Pick a better argument or at least justify why there should be more themeing and where!

A better argument? What the heck does that mean?

And the entire helix portions/the beginning are just so bare. Anything can be added there.

_Scar

Agreed... and how in the world did we go from talking about FYL to EE VS. Mummy? Lolz. So anyway FYL would be the best if they also refurbished the existing FYL.

EE vs. Mummy? Now that's a close battle! Mummy is a Disney quality ride.

Anywho, lol, if they refurbed then essentially nothing would be different except cleaning up. This new Fantasyland is an expansion of what we already have. We want a retheme of what we already have to go with the expansion. The retheme would be from circus-style to European-village style -like Disneyland. Then, we would have the best Fantasyland IMO with no questions asked. But that isn't going to happen, so :(

_Scar

And you're saying BTM isn't?!:eek:

You're delusional.:lol:

BTM isn't very thrilling. I find EE and Mummy way more thrilling.

:shrug: Plus BTMRR's lift hill still sounds like someone is in my ear drum and litterally poking it to death. It's horrible.

SirGoofy

BTM isn't very thrilling. I find EE and Mummy way more thrilling.

:shrug: Plus BTMRR's lift hill still sounds like someone is in my ear drum and litterally poking it to death. It's horrible.

Thrilling has nothing to do with being a Disney quality ride.

_Scar

Thrilling has nothing to do with being a Disney quality ride.

They're all Disney quality rides. Thrill sets EE and Mummy into the same category and BTM falls behind imo.

BTM is just so.... kiddie coaster.

And the beginning of EE only lasts for like 30 seconds and I find it more thrilling than the entire BTMRR ride :lol:

JediMasterMatt

They're all Disney quality rides. Thrill sets EE and Mummy into the same category and BTM falls behind imo.

BTM is just so.... kiddie coaster.

And the beginning of EE only lasts for like 30 seconds and I find it more thrilling than the entire BTMRR ride :lol:

Actually, one of my other passions is being a very well traveled roller-coaster enthusiast with 400+ different coasters under my belt. I can safely tell you that the back seat of BTMRR at night has the most some of the most out-of-control pacing in all of Orlando. Not high gforce or any single moment that takes your breath away, but a reckless pace that great coasters offer. This is especially true with the lack of seat divider that allows you to slide back and forth. It also has a surprising pop of airtime in the run from the 2nd to 3rd lifts.

Everest may have bigger drops, higher speed and gforces - it also has lackluster pacing with the breaks in the action as you switch directions of travel.

As an overall coaster - I think I like BTMRR better. As a themed attraction - Everest is impressive, although BTMRR is the king of the mine rides.

BTW - I turn off my inner coaster geek when I'm at Disney. I think of any of their thrill rides as themed attractions first and thrills second. I go to Disney for the theme and leave the thrills for elsewhere.

The Mummy has a the balance just perfect for a coaster in that it's good at both things it attempts.

jakeman

OT RE: DAK

IMO, that's because the majority of exploration trails lead to a bunch of trees and a few birds. Even the excellent paths in Asia and Africa don't get a lot of traffic. The park feels like one big walking marathon from one attraction to another, and Guests don't want to go on yet ANOTHER walking trail by the time they've finally hoofed it to the far regions of the park. I wonder if the two animal exhibit walking paths would be more popular if they weren't in the two back corners of an immense theme park.

I once discussed DAK with an Imagineer who used it as an example of poor Guest flow planning. He pointed to the bottlenecks in Africa and around EE, the confusing exit from KS, the dead-end cul-de-sac of Camp Minnie-Mickey, and a few more areas. He acknowledged that although DAK is a triumph of Imagineering's ability to create believable environments, it also suffers from a poor layout and attraction roster. WDI thought Guests would enjoy feeling like explorers, but they didn't consider that stroller brigades and hot summertime Guests wouldn't appreciate the meandering, frustrating pathways.

Anyway, I hope the FL expansion team learned from DAK! I'd hate to see the beautiful walkways covered with parked strollers.
I agree with all those points, and they tie into my points about DAK as well.

It isn't your "bang out all the rides, eat a burger and go home" park. However, when every park before that is that type of park, it's not going to work. The guest mindset is too fixed.

They've made great strides into a good compromise. The tone of the park the first two years was depressingly serious. The tone is more fun now.

It is spread out, both out of design and necessity. They do need to work on breaking those walks up without resorting to the Rollercoaster Tycoon type kiosk to break up the path. Another area between Africa and Asia would go a long way to helping that.

_Scar

Actually, one of my other passions is being a very well traveled roller-coaster enthusiast with 400+ different coasters under my belt. I can safely tell you that the back seat of BTMRR at night has the most some of the most out-of-control pacing in all of Orlando. Not high gforce or any single moment that takes your breath away, but a reckless pace that great coasters offer. This is especially true with the lack of seat divider that allows you to slide back and forth. It also has a surprising pop of airtime in the run from the 2nd to 3rd lifts.

Everest may have bigger drops, higher speed and gforces - it also has lackluster pacing with the breaks in the action as you switch directions of travel.

As an overall coaster - I think I like BTMRR better. As a themed attraction - Everest is impressive, although BTMRR is the king of the mine rides.

BTW - I turn off my inner coaster geek when I'm at Disney. I think of any of their thrill rides as themed attractions first and thrills second. I go to Disney for the theme and leave the thrills for elsewhere.

The Mummy has a the balance just perfect for a coaster in that it's good at both things it attempts.

I still stand by my opinion of EE being way more intense and thrilling than BTMRR. BTMRR is noting more than a glorified kiddie coaster, but so is every mine train ride.

I still do not get where EE should have more themeing than it already has like what was said in previous posts.

And isn't Rafiki's train between Africa and Asia? IMO it NEEDS to go, but you can't really put something like Beastly Kingdom in between Africa in Asia. It'd look kind of silly. Maybe the Austrailia or North America region. :shrug:

jakeman

And isn't Rafiki's train between Africa and Asia? IMO it NEEDS to go, but you can't really put something like Beastly Kingdom in between Africa in Asia. It'd look kind of silly. Maybe the Austrailia or North America region. :shrug:
It is, but it takes up a miniscule portion of the land.

The train needs to stay. If you don't trap people back at Rafiki's Planet Watch for a set amount of time, no one will go back there!

Iceviper123

I think Expedition Everest is themed very well. If I was to complain about the theming it would be that steel is sometimes visible due to light leakage - those areas should have been concealed.

This problem bothers me so much.
You see all the infrastructure and kinda ruins the magic.
Poor show, really. :shrug:

Iceviper123

I still stand by my opinion of EE being way more intense and thrilling than BTMRR. BTMRR is noting more than a glorified kiddie coaster, but so is every mine train ride.

I still do not get where EE should have more themeing than it already has like what was said in previous posts.
Most Disney fans critique a Disney attraction as a show and not so much on the ride system.
Besides big thunder is a whole other beast at night. :D

EE has plenty of rich thematic details oozing everywhere.
The show scenes in EE are poorly executed imo.
The focus is on the encounter with the yeti and it seems that the rest of the ride seems to suffer.

jakeman

:lookaroun:lol: If that's the case, maybe it's time for a change.
:lol: They've already changed it once. When the park first opened the whole thing was called Conservation Station. You basically took a train ride to an area that told you that you were a bad garbage generating person.

They need to do a better job of communicating what's back there. There are way too many :veryconfu moments when people get back there.

You take a train from Africa at the behest of a talking baboon to...pet...goats...

The exhibits that range from the vet office to the Safari cameras are great, but are really brought down by the complete randomness of the pavilion. It's like Disney was either unwilling to go completely backstage with their animal care, or there wasn't enough there to warrant a whole building on it.

Perhaps when that lot is finally built up with Austrabeastlymysticalmerica or whatever, a connecting walking path can provide a better transistion.

EPCOT Explorer

:lol: They've already changed it once. When the park first opened the whole thing was called Conservation Station. You basically took a train ride to an area that told you that you were a bad garbage generating person.

They need to do a better job of communicating what's back there. There are way too many :veryconfu moments when people get back there.

You take a train from Africa at the behest of a talking baboon to...pet...goats...

The exhibits that range from the vet office to the Safari cameras are great, but are really brought down by the complete randomness of the pavilion. It's like Disney was either unwilling to go completely backstage with their animal care, or there wasn't enough there to warrant a whole building on it.

Perhaps when that lot is finally built up with Austrabeastlymysticalmerica or whatever, a connecting walking path can provide a better transistion.
Oh....:lookaroun Where, or where have I heard THAT before?:D;)

I see what you are saying though, it's themed randomly, yes? (I've always thought so too, but I never saw the original.)

Figment632

EE has the temple and an AA and a detailed mountain that was hand carved.... plus you're in the dark for 30 seconds of the ride, 15 seconds in the cavern, the rest is way too fast for any themeing.

Once again, have you been on Expedition Everest?

With the Mummy, it uses mainly blacklights to catch your attention. Sort of like RnRC except better quality.

What ever it seems to me they spent to much on theming the que and one single AA than making a better ride. BTM they got it perfect great theming and a good coaster.

No, just clarifying. Plenty of folks around here make crazy statements about things they haven't experienced. Just making sure your crazy statement wasn't one of those! :wave::lol:

I disagree, that's all. Matterhorn is great for what it is: a phenomenal piece of Disney history. Beyond that, I have a hard time seeing it superior to any of the Disney coasters.

Just my opinion though.

Yea I hate when people try to compare or make statements when they have never been.

I feel the exact same way.

EE is good, BTMRR is great.

Agreed!

jakeman

Oh....:lookaroun Where, or where have I heard THAT before?:D;)
Touche. :lol:

I see what you are saying though, it's themed randomly, yes? (I've always thought so too, but I never saw the original.)
Nothing much changed from the original except the name. It's just disjointed. "Here's how we take care of our animals. As you can see we have an extensive veternary faciliti...ooooo! Shiny rainforest noises!":ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

Touche. :lol:

Nothing much changed from the original except the name. It's just disjointed. "Here's how we take care of our animals. As you can see we have an extensive veternary faciliti...ooooo! Shiny rainforest noises!":ROFLOL:

:king:

Oh, I knew DAK was your weak spot. :D:lol:

Yeah...I'm thinking it needs to be changed.:lol:

RSoxNo1

When Everest ultimately goes down to fix the Yeti, I would like to see the light leakage issues resolved. Whether it be interior rockwork around some of the exposed steel, or simply a black curtain to hide it, this should be addressed.

Ideally, the back of the mountain will also be addressed as the Mountain itself should really be completed as the forced perspective village doesn't really work.

Lastly, what really should have happened before the drop (Yeti Projection room) was some use of a tilt coaster track:

typ_tilt-coaster.jpg

Something like this to shake the track a bit (to simulate the Yeti grabbing the track) would have added that extra something to the scene. I imagine that after the fact this type of thing would be far more difficult to incorporate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom