Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Miss Bella

From what people are posting here about grocery stores and people not wearing masks. The fact airlines are filling planes with no social distancing in place. In all honesty you're much better off driving to Disney and only stopping for gas til you get there.
How many posters on here live in Orlando? Orange County has a mask mandate and so do all airlines.

Dizneykid

This.

Perspective - People need to get a healthy dose of it. A theme park closing isn't "life coming to a standstill". It's an inconvenience for most of us, and it's terrible for some, without a doubt. Getting sick and dying, or losing people you care for and love is "life coming to a standstill". Going to WDW? Right now it's a nice bonus, staying healthy is priority 1.

There is no evidence that going to a theme park with masks and all of these absurdly thorough measures are infecting people nevermind killing people. In fact, most science tells us that a mostly outdoor theme park would not be considered high risk in their criteria. There is also no evidence that this virus is going to disappear if we all commit to living in a bubble for months on end. People suffer immensely in lock down. Disney found a way to do this and it's voluntary. Your (general) choices don't end if someone out there wants to try to enjoy an amusement park. I have been going to the beach every week and it looks like a lot of people feel the same. It cured so much of my severe isolation and depression. I'm not selfish for going to the ocean to enjoy my time. We'd be here all day arguing about what is essential to someone. We don't get to define that for each other.

Miss Bella

To you that is the case. To me being alive is what animals do. Humans experience life and do things beyond breathing, eating, drinking and sleeping.
I've been at home all week doing mandatory annual training education. My hats off to all the people that can work from home. I couldn't do it. I need human interaction and socialization.

October82

I really don't get why anyone would point to Sweden's choices -- Sweden has been a total disaster. 10 times worse than their border countries. Their mortality rate will soon surpass countries that were hit hard and early.
Sweden is 1 of the few countries that have actually handled Coronavirus nearly as badly as the USA.

And the economic impacts have been just as severe.

YodaMan

Thank goodness! Glad we have confirmation that the labs are evil and can’t be trusted and want to scare us for no reason. We can definitely extrapolate the data and assume that no one actually has Covid-19 and all the hospitalitizations and deaths are a complete lie. Glad we’re all alive and thriving and have nothing to worry about!

/s

October82

Not really. When you're performing tens of thousands of tests, errors happen. This does not mean that people's test results are being fabricated, it means there is a problem with follow up contact tracing, where specimens are being labelled with the wrong person's contact info. Yes, this is a problem, but it is not a systematic one.

DisneyCane

Thank goodness! Glad we have confirmation that the labs are evil and can’t be trusted and want to scare us for no reason. We can definitely extrapolate the data and assume that no one actually has Covid-19 and all the hospitalitizations and deaths are a complete lie. Glad we’re all alive and thriving and have nothing to worry about!

/s
The issue is that it is likely that somebody who actually was positive didn't get a result or got a negative result. I know you were being sarcastic but that article doesn't suggest anything like what you wrote.

JohnD

Not really. When you're performing tens of thousands of tests, errors happen. This does not mean that people's test results are being fabricated, it means there is a problem with follow up contact tracing, where specimens are being labelled with the wrong person's contact info. Yes, this is a problem, but it is not a systematic one.

300 labs in FL with 100% positive. Yeah "errors happen."

October82

What are you referring to? Airlines require masks as far as I know. People have been flying all along. There aren't many businesses left that aren't focusing on new safety. You have to follow the rules at Disney. Why does it matter much what people do outside of that if the park itself literally screens guests and makes them wear a mask everywhere? Masks either work or they don't.

Why does it matter? Because none of the measures that have been taken are 100%. They lower your probability of being infected, but if you still have a large number of chances for infection, those methods will fail over the long term. With perfect mask compliance and people using masks correctly, the total number of new infections will be lower. But in reality, people mostly use masks incorrectly, some don't use them at all, etc. In the end, it is a question of driving the total number of cases down to a manageable level. By opening tourist destinations, encouraging more people to fly, etc. we're simply increasing the number of opportunities for infection.

The question isn't "does reopening tourist attractions increase cases?", it is, "do the benefits of doing so outweigh the costs?"

I'm going go bring up the protests again too (NOT POLITICAL) because most Disney closure enthusiasts were confidently vouching for the mass protests as low risk while a theme park with strict guidelines is considered evil. If the protests didn't prove that masks work, what would? I can't for the life of me understand the targeted outrage being hurled at Disney over any other theme park currently open.

Masks do work. They do not work perfectly. That doesn't mean there aren't costs with any new large gatherings of people. Yes, theme parks themselves are probably relatively low risk for any individual person.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There is no evidence that going to a theme park with masks and all of these absurdly thorough measures are infecting people nevermind killing people. In fact, most science tells us that a mostly outdoor theme park would not be considered high risk in their criteria. There is also no evidence that this virus is going to disappear if we all commit to living in a bubble for months on end. People suffer immensely in lock down. Disney found a way to do this and it's voluntary. Your (general) choices don't end if someone out there wants to try to enjoy an amusement park. I have been going to the beach every week and it looks like a lot of people feel the same. It cured so much of my severe isolation and depression. I'm not selfish for going to the ocean to enjoy my time. We'd be here all day arguing about what is essential to someone. We don't get to define that for each other.

If you were talking about your regional Six Flags, then your statement "a mostly outdoor theme park would not be considered high risk" would be a bit more applicable, but it's not. Many queues are indoors. All have railings. Gift shops, restaurants, etc. There are still hundreds of surfaces people can touch where a virus can and does live. CM's cannot clean them often enough to catch/kill everything. A person who is not wearing a mask means they are spreading whatever germs they have onto those surfaces and thus spreading the disease. It's not coincidental that many people get sick while at WDW long before COVID came into our lives, but a stomach bug lasting a few days doesn't generate the buzz, or the body count.

October82

Agreed, errors like reporting 100 percent positive in a data dump by accident, reporting multiple days as one day, marking motor cycle accident victim as a COVID death, reporting positive antibody tests as a NEW positive cases of COVID and reporting folks positive who were never tested is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The snark isn't necessary. We can go through each of these things in detail - explaining what aspects are false - but at the end of the day, no, there is no systemic underlying problem in the way testing is being conducted. It is, IMO, deeply saddening to see how social media amplifies false and misleading information to such an extent that we no longer trust the medical and public health communities to be acting with integrity.

The systemic underlying problem in testing is much simpler. There are not enough tests and people aren't tested enough. The case and death counts are under counts, not over counts.

Miss Bella

[/QUOTE]
Labeling a specimen with the wrong person's name would be a really big problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom