Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

Disney isn't a medical provider. They are not conducting tests, and have no obligation to report anything, but hopefully as a responsible company, they would cooperate with the proper health authorities if an outbreak was identified amongst their staff.
I don't think Disney will have to report it. Once any employee tests positive, there will be notification of the other employees that they are in close contact with to get tested. I'm sure at least a hand full will post about it on social media.

Certainly if there is a significant outbreak I would assume they will be working with the County and State health departments.

Disstevefan1

I don't think Disney will have to report it. Once any employee tests positive, there will be notification of the other employees that they are in close contact with to get tested. I'm sure at least a hand full will post about it on social media.

Certainly if there is a significant outbreak I would assume they will be working with the County and State health departments.

No worries there. If a cast member gets COVID the news will leak, guaranteed.

lazyboy97o

Is Disney obligated to share when a staff member tests positive? Disney California launched a full media report over one case of measles last year. If we haven't heard anything about Universal having cases, why are we so convinced that there are cases? I would think that kind of claim should be based on something.

I would be inclined to think that we would notice in some way if covid was present in the currently open theme parks. I wish we had data for this. It seems like the pattern has been that one case often doesn't lead to others outside of close contacts.
The measles outbreak was contact traced back to the Disneyland Resort. That isn’t really happening in Central Florida at the moment.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah that is due to the NBA or MLS being there. I want to say that is when the players will leave by. The Swan is technically closed until the 12th too but because they are housing MLS players.
There aren't sports teams staying there. Edit I believe it's due to military travel restrictions

DisneyOutsider

Is Disney obligated to share when a staff member tests positive? Disney California launched a full media report over one case of measles last year. If we haven't heard anything about Universal having cases, why are we so convinced that there are cases? I would think that kind of claim should be based on something.

I would be inclined to think that we would notice in some way if covid was present in the currently open theme parks. I wish we had data for this. It seems like the pattern has been that one case often doesn't lead to others outside of close contacts.
Disney isn't a medical provider. They are not conducting tests, and have no obligation to report anything, but hopefully as a responsible company, they would cooperate with the proper health authorities if an outbreak was identified amongst their staff.

This is why it seems fairly reassuring that no such reports or leaks have happened at Universal. Why Disney would be more prone to cases than the theme park next door is beyond me.

They're not obligated to report covid-positive employees, and you can bet that they won't. With the sheer volume of cast members at Disney and the lack of testing going on (combined with the high positivity rate currently in central FL), you can take it to the bank that there are CM's working in the parks right now who are Covid-positive. Universal as well.

If that is something that makes you uneasy, it's probably best not to visit right now. Doesn't mean that they contracted it at the parks, but its very naive to think that none of these employees have Covid.

Heppenheimer

BTW...

By law, neither Disney nor Universal is privy to the information on who among their staff may have tested positive unless the employee voluntarily shares that information with them, either directly or through authorized release via a health authority.

Lilofan

They're not obligated to report covid-positive employees, and you can bet that they won't. With the sheer volume of cast members at Disney and the lack of testing going on (combined with the high positivity rate currently in central FL), you can take it to the bank that there are CM's working in the parks right now who are Covid-positive. Universal as well.

If that is something that makes you uneasy, it's probably best not to visit right now. Doesn't mean that they contracted it at the parks, but its very naive to think that none of these employees have Covid.
That's actually a very realistic and scary statement.

DisneyOutsider

BTW...

By law, neither Disney nor Universal is privy to the information on who among their staff may have tested positive unless the employee voluntarily shares that information with them, either directly or through authorized release via a health authority.

And we can only hope and pray that they DO share that info when they (hopefully) inform their employer of their need to take leave.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And we can only hope and pray that they DO share that info when they (hopefully) inform their employer of their need to take leave.
Is Disney paying CMs while they are on quarantine for Covid? I think that would go a long way towards CMs sharing a positive test result. If not there’s a lot of financial incentive to not share that info, especially if the person feels better after a few days and doesn’t want to be without pay for 14 days.

DisneyOutsider

Is Disney paying CMs while they are on quarantine for Covid? I think that would go a long way towards CMs sharing a positive test result. If not there’s a lot of financial incentive to not share that info, especially if the person feels better after a few days and doesn’t want to be without pay for 14 days.
Most employers that I know of are providing a special category of sick leave in support of their employees, but I don't know how that works at Disney Parks since they have a large number of hourly employees.

Heppenheimer

I wonder if any cast members, current or otherwise, can shed light on Disney's sick leave policies. They obviously can't compel their employees to provide protected health information (HIPAA is the law of the land), but do they require some kind of doctor's note at least? If the employee knows they have an easily communicable disease that can put others at risk, what is the employee's responsibility?

DisneyDebRob

This was from May 14, don’t know if things have changed. It says they will be paid for the quarantine period. If it goes longer, who knows.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Employees getting hospitalized is a nightmare scenario for Disney.

You can quote legal disclaimers on reservations/tickets all you want...but the PR damage of appearing to operate cavalier...or any hint that they can’t manage what they built/run...will result in tremendous money bleed in the near to intermediate term.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This was from May 14, don’t know if things have changed. It says they will be paid for the quarantine period. If it goes longer, who knows.
I thought that was the case but wasn‘t 100% sure. Based on that it’s not as likely that a CM would not report a positive test. You basically get 14 days off with pay if you come clean or you can work through the sickness and risk your co-workers health. Tipped employees may have a slightly higher financial incentive to stay quiet and continue working but other than that I’d assume most CMs would report a positive test to their supervisor and go on paid quarantine.

oceanbreeze77

9000 cases today...HORRID positivity rate, and they switched around the ay you view the data
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.41.03 AM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if any cast members, current or otherwise, can shed light on Disney's sick leave policies. They obviously can't compel their employees to provide protected health information (HIPAA is the law of the land), but do they require some kind of doctor's note at least? If the employee knows they have an easily communicable disease that can put others at risk, what is the employee's responsibility?
I would assume you probably have to show proof of a positive test to get the paid Covid leave. It’s a formality, but it’s probably required because some people would probably take advantage. I know with certain jobs if you are out sick longer than a few days they can require a doctors note. I’m not sure how HIPAA treats that but I do know it happens. I worked a summer job once back in HS where you needed a doctors note if you called in sick the day before or after a holiday because too many people were doing long weekends. That was so long ago, before HIPAA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom