Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

disneygeek90

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was defending them. Even in these times, it is ridiculous. My point is we didn't see this type of stuff before COVID. Now it's everyday.
There's a lot of things we didn't see before covid. However, this is nothing new. Certain people in society always think the rules don't apply to them. It's just taken a different form.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You sure about that?? You might want to recheck them sources.
Well yes, I think everyone can agree of the recent cases, the median age has dropped quite a bit. I've got a friend who works at Mayo Clinic in Jax and he says the average age of cases is hovering around 22. Small sample but is telling.

Disney Glimpses

Oh I know you weren't but we did see plenty of Karens before Covid. They just weren't being stupid about wearing a mask in a public space that requires it.
That's true, but the reactions were so overblown. Like, clinically insane overblown. It's either their true colors coming out or just insanity due to COVID. Either way, the mask protests are silly.

TJJohn12

...It very much reminds me of when I was young and the idea of instituting seatbelt laws was first debated. Under no circumstances should it be necessary for the government to require you to wear a seatbelt. However, if my memory serves me correctly, only about 30% of Americans were buckling up at the time. Seat belt laws were passed in the interest of public safety. I don’t think that many of us now look back and regret what happened. The current dangerous Covid surge necessitates government intervention, because too many of us are not taking care of business ourselves. And that puts all of us at risk.

Or even more striking and applicable, when a Hollywood starlet - Jane Mansfield - died in 1967 as her car plowed into the wheels under a tractor-trailer. The NHTSA recommended nearly immediately that all trailers have a new bar welded under them. You see Mansfield Bars every single day.

Of course, the trucking industry did not adopt them very quickly. People kept needlessly dying because of those "personal" choices made by trucking companies. So the government finally mandated them on all trailers in 1998.

There's exercising personal freedom, and then there's where exercising personal freedom impinges on others. I'm hoping that Disney strictly enforces mask requirements. But when gas stations, airports, and a Mears-owned-and-operated bus stand in the way of many coming to the parks, it's a veritable minefield. And you've got to assume that (as Rod Serling said) people are alike all over - so when my Walmart is a cluster, I "know" IAD and MCO will be the same.

Until there's a binding, enforced legal mandate to mask up - like a Mansfield bar - it's not safe to travel to WDW from any appreciable distance really.

milordsloth

Have you been to a U.S. grocery store or gas station lately? Upwards of 50% of the people I see are maskless. Enforcement has been zero. So you’re in the midst of building a straw man here.

If people were acting responsibly maybe this argument could hold water. But they’re not. Period.

Meh I would specify a state at least. Where I am in California I'd say at least 90% are wearing a mask at gas stations and 100% at my local grocery store.

oceanbreeze77

Positivity rate still growing.
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 9.09.14 AM.png

KingdomofDreams

That’s a dangerous precedent. Even we’re tested at work twice a day and I don’t work in a theme park.

Must be nice. Although twice a day is definitely over the top. I work frontline ED healthcare and in our hospital group, none of us have been tested. At all. Ever. We have personal accountability to take our temp at shift beginning each day and report any symptoms That's it. If you meet the temp threshold and/or have symptoms, they will test you.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Twice a day???? Seems excessive
Must be nice. Although twice a day is definitely over the top. I work frontline ED healthcare and in our hospital group, none of us have been tested. At all. Ever. We have personal accountability to take our temp at shift beginning each day and report any symptoms That's it. If you meet the temp threshold and/or have symptoms, they will test you.
Hang on.... my temperature is tested twice a day. Not my genes. Did you think I meant a COVID test?

Just occurred to me!

MadMax11

Given your job, I'm curious to know what you think about this....my wife and I both had COVID, as did my younger son. We all had symptoms. My fever got over 100 maybe 2-3 times the entire time I was sick...it felt like 103, but it was mostly around 99.5 per the thermometer. My wife had a similar experience. We would absolutely have been contagious walking into any setting that took our temp as a means of prevention...but at 99.3 or so, they'd still let me in. My wife and I talk about this a lot, as she's a kindergarten teacher and knows that they'll likely have temps checked somewhat regularly...but the temps we experienced while sick with this weren't at the levels that would preclude our entry.

Scuttle

But what if Little Johnny’s poor choices cause me or my family to become sick? I am a teacher here in Florida, and I am quite worried about going back to school in August and possibly being infected by students whose families have not chosen to follow government guidance. Should I have to make the decision to stay at home or take leave from work because of THEIR poor choices? Theoretically, you are right when you say that the government shouldn’t have to step in with mask requirements, shutdowns, etc. Unfortunately, too many Americans continue to prove that if left to their own devices, they will make poor and selfish choices...choices that put the rest of us in jeopardy. It very much reminds me of when I was young and the idea of instituting seatbelt laws was first debated. Under no circumstances should it be necessary for the government to require you to wear a seatbelt. However, if my memory serves me correctly, only about 30% of Americans were buckling up at the time. Seat belt laws were passed in the interest of public safety. I don’t think that many of us now look back and regret what happened. The current dangerous Covid surge necessitates government intervention, because too many of us are not taking care of business ourselves. And that puts all of us at risk.

I love when I’m driving the speed limit and wearing my seat belt and a motorcyclist flies by me doing over 100mph and wearing no helmet. Seems reasonable.

Jimdalva

I am in Central Florida, just 45 min south of WDW. Mask usage is Very Low. I will guess 80% noncompliance .

UPDATE; 80% Non compliance was my experience last week when I ventured out.

Today my wife went out and did some shopping and reported that mask compliance is now UP to 80%. It appears people have taken note of the alarming rise in cases in the news.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom