Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

milordsloth

Disney “well written explanation??” When have you ever seen one of those!? If they go forward, I don’t expect to hear a single peep of justification from the company, aside from reinforcing confidence in their established procedures. Maybe Bob or Bob will turn up on the Sunday morning circuit with a few soundbites... but that would be the extent of it.

If they push, I would bet they start with a floating 2-weeks and pray this turns around quickly.

Haha good point. In that case I expect (really hope) they don't need to announce anything.

Dizneykid

There's a meeting scheduled this Friday to discuss the option of pushing the opening for WDW back again. It's very, very expensive for the company, and they really can't easily afford it (unlike what some would have you believe). They will also discuss the possibility of moving to the Secure Circuit system of only MK open in the event that numbers continue to increase, but that isn't a possibility until September due to the current reservation and ticket system. All of these issues are due to Disney rushing to catch up to Universal with a near full reopen.
Nothing like waiting until the last minute. They open in a week essentially.

icc2515

It's very, very expensive for the company, and they really can't easily afford it (unlike what some would have you believe). They will also discuss the possibility of moving to the Secure Circuit system of only MK open in the event that numbers continue to increase, but that isn't a possibility until September due to the current reservation and ticket system.
Are you saying that pushing the opening date back would be very expensive or opening the parks is very expensive, because I can believe both. I can see them losing more money by opening right now. No revenue from ticket sales because there are no ticket sales or at least were not. No revenue from DVC rooms booked by owners. Limited restaurant openings. And it's going to take a lot of cast members to enforce the rules for a very few guests at the parks. Disney is used to raking it in at a packed park. Disney had a little over 14 billion cash on hand on Mar 31, 2020. It will be interesting to see how much they report having in the bank on June 30, 2020 (I don't think they report it on June 30, but when they do report it the date they reference will be June 30).

WDW Pro

...isnt Friday kinda...late

Very late. The tri-state quarantine for Florida was unforeseen a week ago and has put them in a difficult PR spot.

If you could describe the mood currently about the reopening process, how would you? Are they excited for it if it works? More nervous about the potential issues that could crop up?

Hard to say because of how varied the opinions are. Right now the biggest issues are cast member concerns and being able to fulfill expectations for guests. That's very close to not being viable.

WDW Pro

Are you saying that pushing the opening date back would be very expensive or opening the parks is very expensive, because I can believe both. I can see them losing more money by opening right now. No revenue from ticket sales because there are no ticket sales or at least were not. No revenue from DVC rooms booked by owners. Limited restaurant openings. And it's going to take a lot of cast members to enforce the rules for a very few guests at the parks. Disney is used to raking it in at a packed park. Disney had a little over 14 billion cash on hand on Mar 31, 2020. It will be interesting to see how much they report having in the bank on June 30, 2020 (I don't think they report it on June 30, but when they do report it the date they reference will be June 30).

Another delay is very expensive for a plethora of reasons. Opening expenses at this point are basically locked in regardless.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We flattened the curve and continue to keep new cases down because of the actions of the Governors, especially Governor Cuomo, who used the CDC guidelines as a basis of the regulations involving the shut down and the reopening phases. If we were to go back to status quo, abandon CDC guidelines in our reopening, then you would see cases skyrocket again in New York and New Jersey and more death.
Wow

Hcalvert

I don't think 0.0 is possible. There are some people with any virus who's immune system doesn't develop immunity for whatever reason. It's rare but some people are just unlucky.
I've had the chicken pox three times---once mildly by myself when I was 5, again when I was 7 when my brother got it, and when I was a freshman in college (18 years old)--bad case and left with pox scarring. So, your assertion is possible.

Dizneykid

I've had the chicken pox three times---once mildly by myself when I was 5, again when I was 7 when my brother got it, and when I was a freshman in college (18 years old)--bad case and left with pox scarring. So, your assertion is possible.

What the heck? That's awful. I was glad to have had it under 5 so I can't remember it.

Dizneykid

Are there any indications that Universal is considering closing? If not, I’d say that Disney will still open on 7/11

I'm not saying they won't close but....oof! What a mess it will be with people canceled once again and all of that drama with park reservations. Sometimes you have to commit to something especially when they really did have a flawless plan (yes, flawless, when measured against what seems to drive transmission patterns). All that prep down the drain..and what if all of these cases are from crowded bars, households and parties?

This sucks because the media was putting them on the spot almost immediately and they're going to look bad no matter what they do.

MrHappy

If WDW was in Miami, then we’d have a conversation. But until Shanghai shows that Disney’s approach to public safety isn’t working then we need to push on. I’ve mentioned it somewhere around these parts recently about my theories of Disney hvac systems and distancing measures. The reopening is just a soft launch and its Game On.

durangojim

One of the things that some people forget is that flattening the curve doesn’t decrease the amount of cases, it decreases the burden on a healthcare system by spreading those cases out over time. It may be that Florida has decided that they have enough resources to treat patients even at higher levels and the great numbers of affected individuals are acceptable to the state. Just speculating.

TrojanUSC

If WDW was in Miami, then we’d have a conversation. But until Shanghai shows that Disney’s approach to public safety isn’t working then we need to push on. I’ve mentioned it somewhere around these parts recently about my theories of Disney hvac systems and distancing measures. The reopening is just a soft launch and its Game On.

Shanghai isn't a valid comparison. They've done an infinitely better job at controlling the virus than us thanks to robust contact tracing.

MrHappy

Shanghai isn't a valid comparison. They've done an infinitely better job at controlling the virus than us thanks to robust contact tracing.
It is comparable, the point is Disney guidelines and infrastructure coming together to mitigate spread. I agree the people in Shanghai are more compliant than us (cough yokels).

TrojanUSC

It is comparable, the point is Disney guidelines and infrastructure coming together to mitigate spread. I agree the people in Shanghai are more compliant than us (cough yokels).

No, again they do not have anywhere near the community spread that Florida has. So it is not a valid comparison.

MrHappy

No, again they do not have anywhere near the community spread that Florida has. So it is not a valid comparison.
If I may have the last word. My point was Disney’s capabilities. It’s presumptuous i suppose, but my theory is Disney’s COVID rules, reinforcements, hvac, and blessings of space, can mitigate spread that otherwise in the real world don’t exist. Call me overly hopeful.

milordsloth

Very late. The tri-state quarantine for Florida was unforeseen a week ago and has put them in a difficult PR spot.

Hard to say because of how varied the opinions are. Right now the biggest issues are cast member concerns and being able to fulfill expectations for guests. That's very close to not being viable.

I cant be the only guest with no concerns about what's open necessarily. I could walk through the parks with no rides and be happy. I do need parks to be open though.

ToTBellHop

If I may have the last word. My point was Disney’s capabilities. It’s presumptuous i suppose, but my theory is Disney’s COVID rules, reinforcements, hvac, and blessings of space, can mitigate spread that otherwise in the real world don’t exist. Call me overly hopeful.
Well, Universal has been open a month now and I haven’t yet heard of any major outbreaks or clusters. Perhaps theme parks aren’t all that dangerous as they are being run?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom