Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wait till they try and get the NFL up and running again!! Can't wait to see that crap show.
NFL should go with a bubble approach similar to NBA and NHL. So far neither of those leagues has had an issue. Travel is the biggest risk with sports and the NFL won’t have any better luck with that then MLB is having. Disney just announced that a few thousand hotel rooms will sit vacant for quite a while. I think they could accommodate the league or at least half the league if they do 2 sites like the NHL is doing. It would be simple to convert some baseball and soccer fields to football. They might have to get creative with gym equipment and training space, but it’s doable.

Archie123

The NFL is going to need to bubble up somehow if they want a season.

They should but even then I don't think that a full 16 game season will be played without someone contracting CV. They already cancelled all preseason games and multiple players have opted out for playing this season.

DisneyCane

Another 253 deaths and 9956 infections.

The "good" news is that it appears cases have plateaued since Florida tightened restrictions somewhat. It suggests deaths should ultimately stabilize.

The bad news... cases aren't exactly declining very quickly, if at all. 200+ deaths per day isn't exactly a level you want to stabilize at.
Over the next week or so, we should get a better idea of whether cases are actually dropping at a fair rate or not. If not, Florida will really have to consider tighter restrictions.
I've been predicting that the daily infections will decline noticeably in about two weeks from now. It's going to follow the same pattern as NY and every other spike worldwide. The difference is that Florida didn't have a spike until June and neither did California or the other States having issues now.

I could be wrong but that's what I think is going to happen.

carolina_yankee

“Cases in Florida may be starting to come down” - CNN.

To a 10,000 cases a day baseline.

Shocking at best.

In fairness, the last few days have been below 10,000. To me, "shocking" is the collective shrug that seems to be coming from Florida. I'm not defending Florida and find their approach appalling, but the numbers have been better the last few days. Death reports are definitely going to be a lagging indicator. No way to know if it's a bit of a dip before another peak or a sign of things to come.

The problem is we look at one number or another number to form a judgment (not you, "people" in general). Here in NJ, we have many good metrics (very manageable case numbers, declining hospitalizations, declining death reports, very good positivity), but the 2nd or 3rd highest rate of spread in the country. Worse than Florida, Texas, Arizona or other hotspots. We could be fine and that's a blip, or we could be about to explode.

The difference is rollbacks are likely to happen if numbers don't improve and there is a general sense of where these numbers are coming from.

The hardest part in all of this for me is that we haven't wrapped our minds around the reality we have to deal with this for another year most likely, and remain vigilant. This isn't a a storm that blows over. We're in a full scale World Calamity: World Pandemic I, if you will. "When will shows resume? When will cruising resume? When can we stop wearing masks?" Not in any predictable time frame.

celluloid

The hardest part in all of this for me is that we haven't wrapped our minds around the reality we have to deal with this for another year most likely, and remain vigilant. This isn't a a storm that blows over. We're in a full scale World Calamity: World Pandemic I, if you will. "When will shows resume? When will cruising resume? When can we stop wearing masks?" Not in any predictable time frame.

I agree. People have that post tragedy disbelief or surreal grasp that hard times bring. People want schools to just start back and are demonizing teachers for asking more of their school districts for safety precautions that are either ignoring or not delivering on concerns, but many parents revert to treating schools as they often do, as babysitting and the kids need to go back physically "no matter what"

It is sadly going to be like Substance Abuse Deaths such as Drunk driving situations, the cause never matters much until it effects someone personally, and sadly, it will continue to do so for a bit beause until then many won't care.

Thelazer

Until we have an effective Vax or reach the point that enough people have had it and transmission is reduced we will see what we see on cases per day. Masks will help slow it, but overall this is a virus in the same family as cold viruses. It will spread and infect just as colds and flue's do. The message of "lean" to live with this, would be far better served now, than the panic being fed daily by everyone.

schuelma

I've been predicting that the daily infections will decline noticeably in about two weeks from now. It's going to follow the same pattern as NY and every other spike worldwide. The difference is that Florida didn't have a spike until June and neither did California or the other States having issues now.

I could be wrong but that's what I think is going to happen.

NY completely locked down the state.

Cases will eventually start to decrease but I would be surprised if Florida follows the April/May state trajectories.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would add “for a time”. Then, human nature kicks in and round and round we go. We are seeing that now with some places that were hit hard early, locked down for a while, and now cases are rising again, because people.
People need to do their part to fight this. Otherwise it won’t be climate change or a meteor to worry about. A vaccine would be a huge boost of course but that won’t save the next year.

DisneyCane

NY completely locked down the state.

Cases will eventually start to decrease but I would be surprised if Florida follows the April/May state trajectories.
So did California. Nobody can say California wasn't strict enough or opened too soon. Yet, once they started opening a similar spike happened to the Florida spike.

That's why my theory is that everywhere that successfully suppressed the curve early on with "mitigation" will have a spike upon reopening and that it takes a certain percentage of the population infected to be able to keep the numbers low and steady while opened long term.

Hopefully I'm right but that's my theory based on looking at the data.

EPCOT-O.G.

So did California. Nobody can say California wasn't strict enough or opened too soon. Yet, once they started opening a similar spike happened to the Florida spike.

That's why my theory is that everywhere that successfully suppressed the curve early on with "mitigation" will have a spike upon reopening and that it takes a certain percentage of the population infected to be able to keep the numbers low and steady while opened long term.

Hopefully I'm right but that's my theory based on looking at the data.
There’s a school of thought that the transmission of the virus slows once it hits around 20% of the population. Not herd immunity, but NY state is an example of this, as well as to varying degrees Italy and Sweden. I’m becoming of the mind that lockdowns are delaying the inevitable; we have 50 states to look to for examples and just about each have had waves notwithstanding different approaches at different times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom