Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Gottalovepluto

Posted this in the other thread but the week feels a lot like March already. The news is already rough this morning and If the MLB cancels the season, I would expect more big time things to wind down as well, disney included.
I don’t see the link to Disney either. They did not employ the precautions with each other that Disney is employing amongst employees and guests. MLB’s failure actually makes Disney look like it knows what it’s doing with the NBA.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t see the link to Disney either. They did not employ the precautions with each other that Disney is employing amongst employees and guests. MLB’s failure actually makes Disney look like it knows what it’s doing with the NBA.
The NBA bubble is looking really smart right now. I know it’s much more difficult to reproduce for other sports but the NBA has a shot at getting their season in. I think the main benefit of the bubble is the lack of travel between cities. When you take a team who is living and interacting in the community in a hot spot like Miami and then have them travel to Philadelphia where cases are much lower thats a bad idea. Forget about the impact to the baseball season, how many workers and average citizens were infected due to their travel. I still feel nobody should be traveling in or out of hot spots for non-essential reasons. What happened with MLB highlights exactly why.

Lilofan

Posted this in the other thread but the week feels a lot like March already. The news is already rough this morning and If the MLB cancels the season, I would expect more big time things to wind down as well, disney included.
The Little League World Series in Willamsport PA has the right idea. Just house the kids in one big complex where they live, eat and relax , and they play baseball everyday in the adjacent fields. MLB is a lot more complex but if some big money donors can help out anything could happen.

chrisvee

Forget about the impact to the baseball season, how many workers and average citizens were infected due to their travel. I still feel nobody should be traveling in or out of hot spots for non-essential reasons. What happened with MLB highlights exactly why.
totally agree

at a minimum, if I go to FL and return to PA I have to quarantine upon return

do baseball players have any restrictions on the road? I searched but couldn’t find much

the fact that they are also consuming testing capacity is galling too

sports are the reward you get when you’ve done everything else right

Epcotfan21

The NBA bubble is looking really smart right now. I know it’s much more difficult to reproduce for other sports but the NBA has a shot at getting their season in. I think the main benefit of the bubble is the lack of travel between cities. When you take a team who is living and interacting in the community in a hot spot like Miami and then have them travel to Philadelphia where cases are much lower thats a bad idea. Forget about the impact to the baseball season, how many workers and average citizens were infected due to their travel. I still feel nobody should be traveling in or out of hot spots for non-essential reasons. What happened with MLB highlights exactly why.
You do know the Marlins players and coaches didn't get the virus in Miami, right?

Epcotfan21

Easier said than done. They couldn't just drop off the number of teams participating like the NBA did. To fit in 900 games they would need some sort of sports complex that has many MLB regulation fields. I'm not even sure if the newest Spring Training complexes could have accommodated it.
Yea, the only "bubble" option that was being considered by the MLB and probably the best idea was to have the East Coast teams play in Florida and the West Coast teams play in Arizona. Both states have several minor league complexes that would have worked, but I think ultimately the players union was against the idea because the pro's didn't like the idea of minor league life again.

DisneyDebRob

You do know the Marlins players and coaches didn't get the virus in Miami, right?
He may have said Miami but he also said a hot spot, which is what I believe he meant. Georgia is a hot spot now.

Giss Neric

Can Disney recover if they have to shut down again for a lengthy and extended period of time*? One could argue they are over-leveraged towards businesses that require and need a steady stream of in-person experiences that have been particularly devastated by public health restrictions and distancing efforts. Parks and resorts are obvious, but so too is retail (Disney Stores), movie theater business* (film releases), cruises, and televised sports (no live sports, it cuts off the spigot to ABC/ESPN). I seem to recall that they were taking a loss on Disney+ for a number of years with the expectation it would make up for it down the road. Put simply, I'm not sure how much of their cash they can sit on to keep the lights on for long, especially given the fixed costs and maintenance (ride maintenance, basic landscaping, property taxes) with little to no revenue coming in.

*What if we're talking no resumption to normal public activities until Spring 2021?

**Yes, I know they have Disney+, but do those subscriptions and DVD/B-D sales offset the massive box office they're missing out on?
If that happens, Disney will only be the only theme park left operating. Every other theme parks are gone. Universal will probably survive too but I doubt it.

Epcotfan21

We don’t really know for sure where they got sick. It was likely either there or in Atlanta where they played a few games prior to arriving in Philly. Both hot spots. The point is still the same.
No, they know it was either Atlanta or Philadelphia. Agree that the point remains regarding Atlanta being a hot spot.

The Marlins scenario should be used as a case study for NFL and college football, but will likely show that professional sports not using a bubble are doomed to fail.

oceanbreeze77

He may have said Miami but he also said a hot spot, which is what I believe he meant. Georgia is a hot spot now.
The nationals said...NO THANKS

DisneyDebRob

No, they know it was either Atlanta or Philadelphia. Agree that the point remains regarding Atlanta being a hot spot.

The Marlins scenario should be used as a case study for NFL and college football, but will likely show that professional sports not using a bubble are doomed to fail.
Considering they were not out at all in Phila except for the hotel and to the ballpark. Considering the hotel has had zero cases. Considering the Phillies team has zero cases. A good guess would seem to be that it was there night out, at a club, in a city that’s rising in cases.

oceanbreeze77

Considering they were not out at all in Phila except for the hotel and to the ballpark. Considering the hotel has had zero cases. Considering the Phillies team has zero cases. A good guess would seem to be that it was there night out, at a club, in a city that’s rising in cases.
And now possibly set off an explosion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I agree based on stories that came out it probably happened in Atlanta. Philly still doesn’t have indoor dining open let alone bars so not places to get in trouble. They could have been infected at the hotel or by a ballpark worker but that’s less likely with everyone in masks. It’s also possible that someone on the team got infected at home before leaving for Atlanta and just didn’t test positive if they happened to get tested during that trip. The incubation period is long and it’s possible to test negative after Initial infection but before the virus takes hold and still be contagious. That’s why places do the 14 day quarantine instead of just test people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We won't know for another week or so. It'll still take sometime for the Phillies to test positive and other people they came in contact with.
They cancelled the Phillies games through Thursday just in case. It seems contained to the Marlins now, but we most likely will never know if anyone in the community got infected. Hopefully nobody had close contact without masks, but not all the players were actively wearing them, even off the field

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom