Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

October82

Isn't cancer a global issue?

It is a global issue, but not one of "public health"*, in the sense that there aren't straightforward interventions that will prevent new cases of cancer.

*we usually think of environmental regulations and other factors that contribute to cancer, like smoking, both of which are public health issues, just not in the sense that SARS-CoV-2, HIV, malaria, etc. are.

lazyboy97o

It is a global issue, but not one of "public health"*, in the sense that there are straightforward interventions that will prevent new cases of cancer.

*we usually think of environmental regulations and other factors that contribute to cancer, like smoking, both of which are public health issues, just not in the sense that SARS-CoV-2 and HIV are.
Cancer is also a group of diseases with various causes, not a single disease with a single cause. I sure would hate to have an oncologist who thought my brain tumor was the same as leukemia.

Miss Bella

Its not just mask compliance its also physical distancing as well. Unless you don't care about that either. They have fined people here for that too. Something should be done to help slow the spread.
Unfortunately, I have bigger things going in my life to worry about. I wish the only thing I had to worry about was if somebody in a state 3000 miles away from me was wearing a mask. That would be awesome if that was my biggest stressor in life.

October82

So comparing Covid to terrorism, homicide and drownings is relevant.

Terrorism, homicide and drownings are all things we view as straightforwardly preventable and invest accordingly (with law enforcement and gates/swim classes, respectively). The point of this graphic was to emphasize that Covid is something we can and should do something about.

Despite the cavalier attitude on display in this thread, the death of a human being is a tragedy that we should work to avoid. How we do that does not come down to a competition between different causes where we crown a winner.

Jrb1979

Unfortunately, I have bigger things going in my life to worry about. I wish the only thing I had to worry about was if somebody in a state 3000 miles away from me was wearing a mask. That would be awesome if that was my biggest stressor in life.
Its not a stressor for me. In fact I am at the point it's comical to me seeing so many with their head in the sand and downplay the numbers. All I was trying to do was have civil conversations but it's come the point many of you either care more about visiting the Mouse or with your head in the sand.

TrojanUSC

They don’t have to be “drive[ing] around looking for people without a mask on.” They can just see it while going about their patrols just like they do with other concerns. They can assist businesses that wish to enforce policy and orders, just like they already do. Enforcement doesn’t require additional policing.

As stated, you’re taking issue with a global chart because it doesn’t match a US chart. Even then, COVID-19 would be number five on that chart and the year is not out. Heart disease, cancer and chronic lower respiratory diseases are all groups of illnesses with various causes compared to COVID-19 which is one disease with one cause.

We can also redirect meter maids and other non-armed law enforcement to handle mask citations, where can treated as non-criminal citations (ie they can impound your car or send it to collections but can't arrest you).

oceanbreeze77

So comparing Covid to terrorism, homicide and drownings is relevant.
Terrorism, homicide and drownings are all things we view as straightforwardly preventable and invest accordingly (with law enforcement and gates/swim classes, respectively). The point of this graphic was to emphasize that Covid is something we can and should do something about.

Despite the cavalier attitude on display in this thread, the death of a human being is a tragedy that we should work to avoid. How we do that does not come down to a competition between different causes where we crown a winner.
A good way to look at this comparison would be through the airlines.

With terrorism, after 9/11 people did not fly, and the industry suffered a horrible loss. But people began to fly again. We made security modifications. We put up barriers.

With Covid, the airline industry is NOT bouncing back, and the effects will be worse than 9/11. Why? because covid is a silent killer. Theres no metal detector or security screening that can single it out. The first half of summer saw a very small incline in travel, but it was reported this week on the news that the airlines are starting to see cancellations comparable to April.

After college, and before moving to Europe, I was an FA for one of the major 3 airlines (I guess you could say this job introduced me to my love affair with Europe ;) ) but sadly all of my friends were notified this week that they are in danger of losing their jobs. People who were hired almost 10 years ago got this warning. There are many industries seeing this happen, theme parks included.

Everyone keeps using the economy as a defense to not shut everything down, but until the consumers feel safe, and they won't until covid is a small issue in our everyday lives, our economy will not recover. Shutting down needs to be seriously considered. We gotta put up barriers against covid. We gotta do it.

Last edited:

legwand77

Theres no metal detector or security screening that can single it out.

Alas, there is a covid test that we can run, some instant, much better than a metal detector. We can test for symptoms, temp check (closer to a metal detector), wear masks. There is nothing we can do to 100% prevent terrorism, maybe report unclaimed bags etc. but nothing as "effective" as a mask. The analogy falls apart rather quickly. plus soon we might have a vaccine , show me the vaccine for terrorism.

Also bemoaning attendants losing jobs and then in same breath saying shut down everything. Puzzling.

oceanbreeze77

Alas, there is a covid test that we can run, some instant, much better than a metal detector. We can test for symptoms, temp check (closer to a metal detector), wear masks. There is nothing we can do to 100% prevent terrorism, maybe report unclaimed bags etc. but nothing as "effective" as a mask. The analogy falls apart rather quickly. plus soon we might have a vaccine , show me the vaccine for terrorism.

Also bemoaning attendants losing jobs and then in same breath saying shut down everything. Puzzling.
but we are not testing at the level we should be. Current return times are averaging 7-10 days for results. So no, its not better than a metal detector right now.

Shutting non essential things down will slow the spread. When you slow the spread, you have less of the population getting infected, when that happens, we can start to get moving again.
As far as job loss goes, theres no avoiding it at this point. People are going to lose their job for the time being. But the sooner things are taken care of, the sooner our economy will get moving again, and the sooner people will be called back from furlough.

DVCakaCarlF

Because these are the same people that want to support the social systems (unemployment, teachers, public medicine), yet they have no way to pay for it or don’t want to accept responsibility for how to implement it.

DVCakaCarlF

but we are not testing at the level we should be. Current return times are averaging 7-10 days for results. So no, its not better than a metal detector right now.

Shutting non essential things down will slow the spread. When you slow the spread, you have less of the population getting infected, when that happens, we can start to get moving again.
As far as job loss goes, theres no avoiding it at this point. People are going to lose their job for the time being. But the sooner things are taken care of, the sooner our economy will get moving again, and the sooner people will be called back from furlough.
How is it you people can say “flatten the curve,” but you bemoan the number of cases? Wasn’t that idea that the case count was always going to be the same, just spread out?

If that’s the case, why close down the economy?

legwand77

Ok that is different, now talking turnaround time

Current return times are averaging 7-10 days for results- - source? I am hearing more along 36 hours on average.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom