Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

Miss Bella

Been around 20-25% fairly steady , higher in South Florida of course
That's is a lot better than where I work, but like I said I'm in the epicenter for our county. I'm guessing that percentage is higher in South Florida and lower in central Florida and the Panhandle.

DisneyDebRob

They've put out many statements and there have been interviews about it on TV. I'm sure you can find the info.
Only have read that is a hot spot. Every article I read says that. Again I ask why they cancelled when day after day I read here the only problem in Florida is Miami. Did you read something different then what I saw?

October82

Did they also review all the deaths that occurred, that were not counted as COVID to verify that none of them had COVID listed as a contributing factor, that weren't included in the spreadsheet? Because erroneous info can work both ways.

But taking this at face value, of the 581 deaths they looked at, they found 8 erroneous listed. So 1.38% Most data collection comes with a "margin of error." I would think 1.38% would fall into that, and doesn't change the "nature of the beast."

This is exactly right. Many of the arguments in this (and similar) threads would not be made if people understood statistics and the media was better about including uncertainty when reporting numbers.

Lilofan

Two days ago the Sheriff said that he has not gotten the resources needed to provide protection for the convention. The mayor said he would bring the issue before the City council. They considered all of the pros and cons and voted against having the convention.
The city of Jacksonville knew in advance of the event coming. Poor excuse by the Sheriff among other things. Why can't the city admit that delegates and their guests that would be flying in from all states into Jacksonville may make the covid situation worse?

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

The city of Jacksonville knew in advance of the event coming. Poor excuse by the Sheriff among other things. Why can't the city admit that delegates and their guests that would be flying in from all states into Jacksonville may make the covid situation worse?

There are several news articles that outline the sheriffs concerns, including a lack of approved funding, and an inability of the state of FL to commit to sending additional manpower to the city. So, at face value, I don’t believe the sheriff was giving a poor excuse.

I don’t think that’s the only reason, as Covid likely had a big influence, with both the city planners and the RNC team.

DisneyCane

For all of you thinking the positives are being over reported I ask that you carefully read the statement below the graph. How many double negatives are being counted?????

View attachment 485864
For all of you thinking the positives are being over reported I ask that you carefully read the statement below the graph. How many double negatives are being counted?????

View attachment 485864
Where is that chart from? The official dashboard or another site? I think it would help if everyone linked to the source when posting charts or other data.

JoeCamel

Where is that chart from? The official dashboard or another site? I think it would help if everyone linked to the source when posting charts or other data.
That is the trusted data scientist that felt the state was not telling the whole story. Sure to bring to light all the data not just what makes the pols look best.

DisneyCane

RNC convention in Jacksonville canceled. Does this bode anything for rest of FL?
Doubtful. No other events like conventions are being held in Florida.

It probably means that sporting events won't have near full capacity crowds anytime soon.
it means "Florida, you're in a REALLY bad position"
No, it says, "we'll get really negative press coverage if we do this," which is the opposite of the goal of a political convention.
RNC called off the convention due to covid but parks are still open.

The similarities between thousands of people packed in an arena and the way the parks are currently operating are really striking! [/Sarcasm]

DisneyCane

That is the trusted data scientist that felt the state was not telling the whole story. Sure to bring to light all the data not what makes the pols look best.
That's what I figured. She's "trusted" by people who thought Florida was faking numbers when they were good even though her real issue was that the dashboard didn't show non residents in the charts. I'll have to dig up the source report and not take her word for how things are counted.

As an aside, she is using data that anybody can access for her alternative dashboard. She isn't exposing anything that is "hidden."

DisneyCane

View attachment 485864
I haven't found the weekly report that she is pulling this data from. However, the statements on the daily report do not indicate counting double negatives. Maybe the weekly report does, I don't know until I find it. Far be it from me to question the altruistic Ms. Jones.

The daily report states the following with respect to the total tests data chart:

These counts include the number of people for whom the department received PCR or antigen laboratory results by day. People tested on multiple days will be included for each day a new result was received. A person is only counted once for each day they are tested, regardless of whether multiple specimens are tested or multiple results are received. If a person has a positive specimen and a negative specimen in the same day, only the positive result is counted.

For the new case chart it says:

This percent is the number of people who test PCR- or antigen-positive for the first time divided by all the people tested that day, excluding people who have previously tested positive.

All of the discussion in this thread that I have seen discusses the daily data from the daily report. Nothing indicates double counting of negatives in the daily pdf report.

DisneyCane

also drives me nuts media don‘t correctly explain MOE and confidence levels for polling

This is a huge pet peeve of mine also. They don't even mention the confidence level. You just assume they are using 95% but the media doesn't explain that either.

They say something like the margin of error for the poll is +/- 3%. What they don't say is that if there is a 95% confidence interval, it means that the publishers of the poll results are 95% confident that the actual "answer" to the question is within 3% of the poll results. There is still a 5% chance that the actual "answer" is outside of that margin of error.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom