Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

legwand77

No clue what you’re trying to demonstrate.
The fact that there were some concerns about hospital capacity in Mid June, means there shouldn’t be concerns in mid July???
You were claiming that hospitalizations capacity was not a concern back a month ago, that no one was thinking that hospitalizations a month ago were going to skyrocket overwhelm the hospitalizations in 2-3 weeks. Concern was there then in media and this board. Posters were posting almost daily that ICUs at zero capacity etc. just like it is being done now. Pretty much making the same points that were being made a month ago. Only thing different is now the specific Covid numbers are broken out.

LUVMCO

Advertisement
Yes but remember a vast majority positives cases has a low chance of hospitalization and even much lower chance of death.
In Az it's about 5% that need hospitalization.

havoc315

You were claiming that hospitalizations capacity was not a concern back a month ago, that no one was thinking that hospitalizations a month ago were going to skyrocket overwhelm the hospitalizations in 2-3 weeks. Concern was there then in media and this board. Posters were posting almost daily that ICUs at zero capacity etc. just like it is being done now. Pretty much making the same points that were being made a month ago. Only thing different is now the specific Covid numbers are broken out.

huh? I never said there was no concern a month ago. I said there is MUCH MUCH more concern NOW.

So what's the relevance of an article from a MONTH ago, saying, "we have things under control."

That's nice.... they thought they had things under control a month ago..... That's irrelevant to today.

havoc315

With the discharges, if they're non covid patients, the point is to open up more room. Thats why many stopped elective procedures, so that there would be room for people with covid. The goal is to NOT have overwhelmed hospitals. SO even if you see a number of discharges, that doesn't change the fact that covid hospitalizations are growing rapidly.

Surge hospitals are necessary to have, but its wayyy better to not have to use them. Especially since they dont have the same technological capabilities as a regular hospital.

Not having enough doctors and nurses is the bigger issue. May have extra beds and equipment in a closet. You don't have doctors and nurses in closets waiting for a surge. All you can do is ask doctors and nurses to work extra shifts... move around some personnel from elective procedures. (Though, an orthopedic surgeon has limited value in dealing with ICU patients).

chrisvee

Premium Member
This is for sure an error, and you put it perfectly, "dumping them all on one day to create a "all time world record" number of cases in a day does not present an accurate picture and leads to panic/scaremongering news headlines."

All of us want to use the data presented to us to daily see how we are doing over time! Errors like this makes that impossible.
Trends are what is important not single days in isolation.

havoc315

How many discharges? In AZ there were 524 COVID discharges yesterday. You do realize people recover and leave the hospital too.

And the *total* currently being hospitalized is well documented. Though Florida just recently started providing the data.

More people are being admitted than discharged (and dying) at an alarming rate.

Arizona -- Just hospitalizations finally starting to flatten, over just the last few days, after a massive increase over a month.

Capture.PNG

Florida, who just started providing the data, still a steep upward trend:

Capture2.PNG

And what the heck, since Florida has been matching Texas pretty well.... let's see how Texas is doing:

Capture3.PNG

Critically.. these charts are the net hospitalization level -- Currently admitted, not total admitted.

Here is NY's chart:

Capture4.PNG

LUVMCO

Many reasons that it will not be and they are not magical, they have been discussed many times on here, not placing Covid patients in nursing homes, better care, better hospital management etc. etc.
I think people sometimes forget that hospitals are for-profit businesses. Some are good and some are bad, some are well managed and some are not. They are regulated by the state, but there's a huge difference in the care you receive from different hospitals. There's also a big difference in nurse to patient ratios from state to state.

techgeek

Many reasons that it will not be and they are not magical, they have been discussed many times on here, not placing Covid patients in nursing homes, better care, better hospital management etc. etc.

I think 100 deaths a day is completely unacceptable already.

What number is this chart going to flatten out? Will it decrease with the current mitigation actions taken in Florida today? If we have all these tools to manage C19 without drastic measures, why are we at consistently +100 deaths a day, today? How would you propose getting this number to look more like New York’s current number?

1594927451728.jpeg

LUVMCO

And the *total* currently being hospitalized is well documented. Though Florida just recently started providing the data.

More people are being admitted than discharged (and dying) at an alarming rate.

Arizona -- Just hospitalizations finally starting to flatten, over just the last few days, after a massive increase over a month.

View attachment 484143

Florida, who just started providing the data, still a steep upward trend:

View attachment 484145

And what the heck, since Florida has been matching Texas pretty well.... let's see how Texas is doing:

View attachment 484146

Critically.. these charts are the net hospitalization level -- Currently admitted, not total admitted.

Here is NY's chart:

View attachment 484147
New York already had their surge so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to learn from those graphs.

havoc315

New York already had their surge so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to learn from those graphs.

What you just said -- NY already had their surge. So what already happened in NY, is what is now happening in Florida and Texas.
Thanks to some advances in treatment of the disease, and some measures in place, it's unlikely to be quite as bad as NY. But it's going to be bad. Ugly.

What you learn -- net hospitalizations are increasing FAST in Florida and Texas.

legwand77

What number is this chart going to flatten out? Will it decrease with the current mitigation actions taken in Florida today? If we have all these tools to manage C19 without drastic measures, why are we at consistently +100 deaths a day, today? How would you propose getting this number to look more like New York’s current number?

View attachment 484141
What level of death is acceptable? Also those are the day the death is reported, not the day of death a good bit of that increase in the past week is from june and even earlier.

LUVMCO

View attachment 484141
Aren't a lot of those deaths from days or weeks ago?

LUVMCO

What you just said -- NY already had their surge. So what already happened in NY, is what is now happening in Florida and Texas.
Thanks to some advances in treatment of the disease, and some measures in place, it's unlikely to be quite as bad as NY. But it's going to be bad. Ugly.

What you learn -- net hospitalizations are increasing FAST in Florida and Texas.
It could also flatten out and decrease quickly. We just have to wait and see. It was just a week or so ago when the drama queens on here were saying we were going to ration care in Arizona and health care providers would be choosing who lives and who dies....well that never happened.

oceanbreeze77

people just dont get it

legwand77

This is Covid admissions from Baylor St. Luke in Houston, one of the large hospitals in Houston hotpsot in Texas. Not exactly increasing "fast" in the past week.

EdDa8DGXYAEZAWA.jpg

techgeek

What level of death is acceptable? Also those are the day the death is reported, not the day of death a good bit of that increase in the past week is from june and even earlier.

So we’re back to the “how many $$ is one life worth, anyway?” discussion?

I’m aware death numbers lag by weeks. That’s not painting an encouraging picture for the next month, as I read this. Are you saying we don’t need to do anything now and deaths will be lower in August and September? How?

LUVMCO

So we’re back to the “how many $$ is one life worth, anyway?” discussion?

I’m aware death numbers lag by weeks. That’s not painting an encouraging picture for the next month, as I read this. Are you saying we don’t need to do anything now and deaths will be lower in August and September? How?
What exactly should we do? In AZ most of the COVID patients are Hispanics that live in multigenerational homes. There's nothing that can be done about that. We don't have theme parks. I still haven't heard of a theme park causing a surge in any state.

Top Bottom