Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

chrisvee

Premium Member
This is for sure an error, and you put it perfectly, "dumping them all on one day to create a "all time world record" number of cases in a day does not present an accurate picture and leads to panic/scaremongering news headlines."

All of us want to use the data presented to us to daily see how we are doing over time! Errors like this makes that impossible.
Trends are what is important not single days in isolation.

havoc315

How many discharges? In AZ there were 524 COVID discharges yesterday. You do realize people recover and leave the hospital too.

And the *total* currently being hospitalized is well documented. Though Florida just recently started providing the data.

More people are being admitted than discharged (and dying) at an alarming rate.

Arizona -- Just hospitalizations finally starting to flatten, over just the last few days, after a massive increase over a month.

Capture.PNG

Florida, who just started providing the data, still a steep upward trend:

Capture2.PNG

And what the heck, since Florida has been matching Texas pretty well.... let's see how Texas is doing:

Capture3.PNG

Critically.. these charts are the net hospitalization level -- Currently admitted, not total admitted.

Here is NY's chart:

Capture4.PNG

Miss Bella

Many reasons that it will not be and they are not magical, they have been discussed many times on here, not placing Covid patients in nursing homes, better care, better hospital management etc. etc.
I think people sometimes forget that hospitals are for-profit businesses. Some are good and some are bad, some are well managed and some are not. They are regulated by the state, but there's a huge difference in the care you receive from different hospitals. There's also a big difference in nurse to patient ratios from state to state.

techgeek

Many reasons that it will not be and they are not magical, they have been discussed many times on here, not placing Covid patients in nursing homes, better care, better hospital management etc. etc.

I think 100 deaths a day is completely unacceptable already.

What number is this chart going to flatten out? Will it decrease with the current mitigation actions taken in Florida today? If we have all these tools to manage C19 without drastic measures, why are we at consistently +100 deaths a day, today? How would you propose getting this number to look more like New York’s current number?

1594927451728.jpeg

Miss Bella

And the *total* currently being hospitalized is well documented. Though Florida just recently started providing the data.

Arizona -- Just hospitalizations finally starting to flatten, over just the last few days, after a massive increase over a month.

View attachment 484143

View attachment 484145

And what the heck, since Florida has been matching Texas pretty well.... let's see how Texas is doing:

View attachment 484146

Critically.. these charts are the net hospitalization level -- Currently admitted, not total admitted.

Here is NY's chart:

View attachment 484147
New York already had their surge so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to learn from those graphs.

havoc315

New York already had their surge so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to learn from those graphs.

What you just said -- NY already had their surge. So what already happened in NY, is what is now happening in Florida and Texas.
Thanks to some advances in treatment of the disease, and some measures in place, it's unlikely to be quite as bad as NY. But it's going to be bad. Ugly.

What you learn -- net hospitalizations are increasing FAST in Florida and Texas.

legwand77

What number is this chart going to flatten out? Will it decrease with the current mitigation actions taken in Florida today? If we have all these tools to manage C19 without drastic measures, why are we at consistently +100 deaths a day, today? How would you propose getting this number to look more like New York’s current number?

View attachment 484141
What level of death is acceptable? Also those are the day the death is reported, not the day of death a good bit of that increase in the past week is from june and even earlier.

Miss Bella

View attachment 484141
Aren't a lot of those deaths from days or weeks ago?

Miss Bella

What you just said -- NY already had their surge. So what already happened in NY, is what is now happening in Florida and Texas.
Thanks to some advances in treatment of the disease, and some measures in place, it's unlikely to be quite as bad as NY. But it's going to be bad. Ugly.

What you learn -- net hospitalizations are increasing FAST in Florida and Texas.
It could also flatten out and decrease quickly. We just have to wait and see. It was just a week or so ago when the drama queens on here were saying we were going to ration care in Arizona and health care providers would be choosing who lives and who dies....well that never happened.

oceanbreeze77

people just dont get it

legwand77

This is Covid admissions from Baylor St. Luke in Houston, one of the large hospitals in Houston hotpsot in Texas. Not exactly increasing "fast" in the past week.

EdDa8DGXYAEZAWA.jpg

techgeek

What level of death is acceptable? Also those are the day the death is reported, not the day of death a good bit of that increase in the past week is from june and even earlier.

So we’re back to the “how many $$ is one life worth, anyway?” discussion?

I’m aware death numbers lag by weeks. That’s not painting an encouraging picture for the next month, as I read this. Are you saying we don’t need to do anything now and deaths will be lower in August and September? How?

Miss Bella

I’m aware death numbers lag by weeks. That’s not painting an encouraging picture for the next month, as I read this. Are you saying we don’t need to do anything now and deaths will be lower in August and September? How?
What exactly should we do? In AZ most of the COVID patients are Hispanics that live in multigenerational homes. There's nothing that can be done about that. We don't have theme parks. I still haven't heard of a theme park causing a surge in any state.

legwand77

No just asking the poster for clarification to what he posted "I think 100 deaths a day is completely unacceptable already."

That is all.

legwand77

What exactly should we do? In AZ most of the COVID patients are Hispanics that live in multigenerational homes. There's nothing that can be done about that. We don't have theme parks. I still haven't heard of a theme park causing a surge in any state.
This really bears out because all the CA, TX, AZ counties that are having critical issues with capacity and deaths are the border counties with higher amounts of Hispanic multigenerational homes. You can also add Florida into that mix with Miami Dade.

ToTBellHop

View attachment 484143

View attachment 484145

View attachment 484146

Here is NY's chart:

View attachment 484147
Thank goodness they are still keeping New Yorkers out of Florida...

Perhaps those asking, “what should Florida do?” should instead ask, “what did New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey do?”

We wore masks. Here in CT, we’ve been wearing masks since April 20. We started reopening a month later. We’ve kept the bars closed.

0849A6FA-1AD6-4EF7-8A92-3D01A0237F0F.png

7D742672-2035-4C00-98DE-6C5CD9086341.png

Hmmm. Wonder what happened. Glad we didn’t “just wait and see.”

Last edited:

Miss Bella

Not having enough doctors and nurses is the bigger issue. May have extra beds and equipment in a closet. You don't have doctors and nurses in closets waiting for a surge. All you can do is ask doctors and nurses to work extra shifts... move around some personnel from elective procedures. (Though, an orthopedic surgeon has limited value in dealing with ICU patients).
It's an issue we've had for the 20 years I've been in healthcare. One thing we're used to is being short-staffed, but we manage to get through it. One thing I've never seen is the amount of money nurses can make right now. NYC was paying 10k a week, Texas and California are paying 5-6k a week for crisis nurses. Florida needs to step it up. Nurses are no different than anyone else they are going to follow the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom