Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

oceanbreeze77

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 7.39.03 AM.png

lazyboy97o

OK fine. Admit you're paranoid about it. You're not the only one and won't be the last. I have my own about this thing. I think a lot of people do. So much back and forth in the media. Lots of sensationalist headlines. I've been saying for weeks that the only thing anyone is sure of is the no one is sure of anything. So for me, despite my own level of anxiety I've decided to put my trust in the experts that believe 6 feet and masks are reasonably safe. I'll go to places that enforce it and leave places that don't and so far I haven't gotten sick. If the theme parks enforce it I'll feel safe there too. And if they don't in certain situations it is my option to leave that area.

My point in the thread was I don't care if cases are surging in Levy, Miami-Dade, Walton or even Orange county FL with the context of the theme parks. The theme parks have opened following all of the CDC recommended guidelines for doing so. If you or anyone else doesn't trust the CDC guidelines or any theme parks ability to enforce it, then you be you and do what you have to do. I just don't believe that any business, Disney, UO, or the local Outback Steakhouse, should be forced to close in spite of the fact they opened within the guidelines provided to them to do so. Under those guidelines we as individuals make own own decisions what we feel comfortable with or not.
Recognizing the differences between how a virus transmits and your lousy analogy isn’t paranoia (but good job jumping so quickly to name calling). The parks are also not following CDC guidance as the CDC guidance for opening was not “open anything as long as you do x, y, and z” but is based on metrics that are absolutely not being met at the moment.

DisneyCane

Is FL testing 112K people a day, or is that just the number of results returned on that day due to backlog? Is there any adjustment to the numbers based on the date of the test vs. the date of the result?

If they are reporting that many results in a day, the average tests done per day has to be up there. There is no adjustment to the numbers. The reports are generated based on the day of the result. If you go into the raw data, they specify the date of symptom onset when it is known. The labs don't report (I don't think they even know), what date the swab was taken.

The "backlog" isn't that long. If you look at a 7 day average of results reported, it is probably roughly the number of swabs taken per day during that period.

DisneyCane

I find it selfish and disgusting to try to downplay the deaths of our senior citizens. I hope someone doesn't treat you with the same disrespect when you're at the age of retirement.
It isn't "downplaying." It is stating a fact. The fact allows people in the high risk group to take measures to protect themselves without forcing the low risk population to shut down civilization.

legwand77

If they are reporting that many results in a day, the average tests done per day has to be up there. There is no adjustment to the numbers. The reports are generated based on the day of the result. If you go into the raw data, they specify the date of symptom onset when it is known. The labs don't report (I don't think they even know), what date the swab was taken.

The "backlog" isn't that long. If you look at a 7 day average of results reported, it is probably roughly the number of swabs taken per day during that period.

The labs should have the record of the when the test/swab is taken, may not be reported publicly but I can't imagine why they wouldn't

legwand77

It is not a bunch of BS. The new spike in infections is too recent to have a meaningful impact on hospitalizations. Give it a week or ten days. Hospitalizations will, sadly, likely catch up.

Just to circle back from thoughts two weeks ago. Giving two weeks from that post and during past week, 69,700 new FL Covid cases, up 60%. Minimal impact on bed availability. Hope the trend continues and hospitalizations stay level or decrease.

EcwQpBTXYAwUkEK.png

EcwQquFXoAI-TBD.png

Last edited:

DisneyCane

And of the younger people now contracting more and more?

Its here. It’s getting worse. Deal with it.
We can go in circles but the young people (especially under 45) are at very low risk of anything more serious than they experience with a bad cold or a case of the flu.

I had bacterial pneumonia when I was 13 so there are other serious illnesses that young people can contact.

Notes from Neverland

And of the younger people now contracting more and more?

Its here. It’s getting worse. Deal with it.
Adding on, it's also causing long-term issues in young populations. This isn't always a life-or-death conversation as many try to suggest. This can cause serious issues in young populations that will permanently alter their way of life. They'll survive, yes, but they may never be the same again. That's a fact so many seem to forget or overlook.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Adding on, it's also causing long-term issues in young populations. This isn't always a life-or-death conversation as many try to suggest. This can cause serious issues in young populations that will permanently alter their way of life. They'll survive, yes, but they may never be the same again. That's a fact so many seem to forget or overlook.
A survey news article over here today was released talking about long term damage in every age group. This is no longer a “get over it and you’ll be fine” virus. Nor a “it’s only dangerous to old people” one.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom