Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

Why are people saying they “don’t like wearing masks”? It’s so backwards. Obviously no one likes it but we’re in the middle of a pandemic and it’s necessary.

I don't say I don't like wearing a mask. I say that I can't stand wearing a mask. I will when required like to go to WDW but that's just because my desire to go outweighs the discomfort of wearing it.

It is "necessary" in the sense that it is required for certain things. There isn't remotely conclusive research that they do much of anything with respect to preventing spread in most situations. They probably help in situations like getting a haircut where there is very close, somewhat prolonged contact indoors. I'll be shocked if it is found that the same, capacity limited Walmart with social distancing protocols would have significantly less spread if everybody wore a mask vs. nobody wearing one.

However, if the "powers that be" allow me to do more things and allow more businesses to open if people wear masks, then I'll play along. When given the choice, if I can stay more than 6 feet away from others then I don't wear one. If I can't maintain that distance, then I do on the off chance that it does something.

My sense would be that any mask that actually significantly reduces the spread will be uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes. If your mask doesn't bother you at all then it probably isn't doing anything.

TrojanUSC

I don't say I don't like wearing a mask. I say that I can't stand wearing a mask. I will when required like to go to WDW but that's just because my desire to go outweighs the discomfort of wearing it.

It is "necessary" in the sense that it is required for certain things. There isn't remotely conclusive research that they do much of anything with respect to preventing spread in most situations. They probably help in situations like getting a haircut where there is very close, somewhat prolonged contact indoors. I'll be shocked if it is found that the same, capacity limited Walmart with social distancing protocols would have significantly less spread if everybody wore a mask vs. nobody wearing one.

However, if the "powers that be" allow me to do more things and allow more businesses to open if people wear masks, then I'll play along. When given the choice, if I can stay more than 6 feet away from others then I don't wear one. If I can't maintain that distance, then I do on the off chance that it does something.

My sense would be that any mask that actually significantly reduces the spread will be uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes. If your mask doesn't bother you at all then it probably isn't doing anything.

Lots of evidence that it can reduce the spread of the disease, by preventing infected persons from spraying their droplets.

Parker in NYC

I look forward next weekend to the “OMG let’s have a pandemic more often! No lines! It’s like we had the parks to ourselves! Thanks to everyone who stayed home, works for us!”

IMDREW

Many people forget that wearing a mask is not particularly for protecting you from inhaling others droplets. Its mainly protecting others from inhaling your droplets. So you’re not doing it for yourself, youre doing it for others. And thats called respect. Something the world could use some more of these days..

Most of the civilised western world tends to disagree. It’s been all over our reputable news and media for months.

Regardless, if there’s a chance that it helps shouldn’t that be enough?

Actually, the Dutch equivalent of the CDC is against wearing masks in public because it gives people a feeling of false safety. They say focussing on social distancing is more important.

DisneyCane

Lots of evidence that it can reduce the spread of the disease, by preventing infected persons from spraying their droplets.

There isn't "lots of evidence," there are studies of droplet spray. There is no study looking at similar population density/demographics where one area has widespread mask use and the other doesn't to prove anything one way or another.

It certainly isn't spreading like wildfire in South Dakota. Except for certain businesses that require them, almost nobody wears a mask there even in the densly populated cities (which there are a few).

Most of the civilised western world tends to disagree. It’s been all over our reputable news and media for months.

Regardless, if there’s a chance that it helps shouldn’t that be enough?

I said in my post that I wear one when required or if I can't social distance on the off chance they do something.

DisneyDebRob

Nobody "forgets" this as it is constantly preached that you are a terrible person that wants everyone to die if you don't wear one. How much they actually protect others is not known despite claims to the contrary. I mean the great WHO that knows everything wasn't recommending them and then changed their mind months into the pandemic after the incompetent CDC recommended them.
Wow. What a paragraph. Sounds like science at its best. As more data comes in you adjust your findings. To say some organization recommended something then changed their position, do you even know how science works?
Glad to know that you do wear one when you can’t social distance, that’s something anyway.
Terrible person and wanting everyone to die? Don’t you think that’s a little much?

Kamikaze

Nobody "forgets" this as it is constantly preached that you are a terrible person that wants everyone to die if you don't wear one. How much they actually protect others is not known despite claims to the contrary. I mean the great WHO that knows everything wasn't recommending them and then changed their mind months into the pandemic after the incompetent CDC recommended them.

What this study says is, basically, if there was 100% mask usage when people are in public around people outside of their household, even at 50% efficiency of the mask, it would reduce the transmission spread below the rate of 1 additional person per infected person, which means the virus spread would essentially be stopped.

And there was a reason why those two organizations didn't recommend mask usage right away, and it had nothing to do with them not knowing they worked. Quite the opposite, actually.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Actually, the Dutch equivalent of the CDC is against wearing masks in public because it gives people a feeling of false safety. They say focussing on social distancing is more important.
3B5E79C7-D589-44F4-8619-9EDA1F928712.jpeg

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wow. What a paragraph. Sounds like science at its best. As more data comes in you adjust your findings. To say some organization recommended something then changed their position, do you even know how science works?

Can you point me in the direction of mask science changing? Masks didn’t stop droplets 4 months ago, but now they do?

Last edited:

mickeymiss

My wife found them on Etsy. Ordered from like 5 different sellers. 2 more deliveries tomorrow. We were able to get Sanaa, sci fi , and yak and yeti no problem. The upgrade is a secret. They know we got upgraded, just not to where. I want to see that joy when they come around a corner and see Giraffes
I'm still trying to figure out which masks to get my son. My husband's work gave him a huge pack of surgical masks for home use but we don't know if kids can wear those. I also kind of want a few that don't look so intimidating for pictures. Bottom line is we want the most effective option so we may just go with the surgical masks. People say they are more comfortable in the heat.

The Mom

Premium Member
Can you point me in the direction of mask science changing? Masks didn’t stop droplets 4 months ago, but now they do?

4 months ago the general population was not told the truth - ie, lied to - in an effort to stop people from hoarding masks that were needed more by medical workers and patients than the average citizen. They were definitely going to be exposed - we might. And even then they knew that any mask was better than no mask. Unfortunately, past experience had shown that many people just can't help themselves when it comes to watching out for #1 and the rest of the population be damned.

If you've tried to purchase certain products lately you can understand the concern - I still can't find Clorox wipes or hand wipes at my local grocery, although toilet paper is available - but not every time, and not always my usual brand.

The science of masks stopping droplets hasn't changed, although masks have improved over time. There is a reason that surgeons have been wearing masks for over a century - the masks may have changed, but the original purpose has not.

Surgical mask
A surgical mask, also known as a face mask, is intended to be worn by health professionals during healthcare procedures. It is designed to prevent infections in patients and treating personnel by catching bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.Wikipedia

DisneyDebRob

If you really need a study, which there are thousands, which you will dismiss like everything else, google yourself. I guarantee that if you search you will find 99 out of a 100 that say it helps in some way. Now go find the 1 out of 100 that says it doesn’t. I’ll wait.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
4 months ago the general population was not told the truth - ie, lied to - in an effort to stop people from hoarding masks that were needed more by medical workers and patients than the average citizen. They were definitely going to be exposed - we might. And even then they knew that any mask was better than no mask. Unfortunately, past experience had shown that many people just can't help themselves when it comes to watching out for #1 and the rest of the population be damned.

If you've tried to purchase certain products lately you can understand the concern - I still can't find Clorox wipes or hand wipes at my local grocery, although toilet paper is available - but not every time, and not always my usual brand.

The science of masks stopping droplets hasn't changed, although masks have improved over time. There is a reason that surgeons have been wearing masks for over a century - the masks may have changed, but the original purpose has not.

Surgical mask
A surgical mask, also known as a face mask, is intended to be worn by health professionals during healthcare procedures. It is designed to prevent infections in patients and treating personnel by catching bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.Wikipedia
Exactly.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If you really need a study, which there are thousands, which you will dismiss like everything else, google yourself. I guarantee that if you search you will find 99 out of a 100 that say it helps in some way. Now go find the 1 out of 100 that says it doesn’t. I’ll wait.
That’s not what I asked. I asked if mask science has changed. Because you said this...

.”Sounds like science at its best. As more data comes in you adjust your findings. To say some organization recommended something then changed their position, do you even know how science works?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom