DLR D23 Discussion & News

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Just an FYI for those that want to know, its been confirmed that Disney will be livestreaming D23 again this year:

You can still join in on the fun and livestream the Ultimate Disney Fan Event on September 9, 10, and 11 on D23Expo.com and by following @DisneyD23 on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter.

I’m about 35 minutes away from Disneyland/the Anaheim Convention, but I choose to stay home and experience the Expo from my couch. It’s not the same, but no crowds and waiting in line are a plus. Glad streaming is a thing.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yep, the excitement of being at any convention is missed but at least I don't have to wait in line for food or the bathroom lol.
Exactly lol, and we know they’re going to charge guests $20+ for a sad, dry cheeseburger. I’ll just go to In-N-Out and order my regular double-double with no tomato, add pickles, animal fries and regular fries, and extra spread and kick back in my room. And the john is nearby.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly lol, and we know they’re going to charge guests $20+ for a sad, dry cheeseburger. I’ll just go to In-N-Out and order my regular double-double with no tomato, add pickles, animal fries and regular fries, and extra spread and kick back in my room. And the john is nearby.
I'll have to debate on In-N-Out, as I'm doing the intermittent fasting thing, but I'm right there with you.

Stevek

I’m about 35 minutes away from Disneyland/the Anaheim Convention, but I choose to stay home and experience the Expo from my couch. It’s not the same, but no crowds and waiting in line are a plus. Glad streaming is a thing.
I love Disney, Star Wars and Tiki...I won't go to a convention for any of those. I just can't immerse myself in an environment where many of the people are over the top in their fandom...plus some have issues with basic hygiene :p

I did D23 twice and Star Wars Celebration once and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I love Disney, Star Wars and Tiki...I won't go to a convention for any of those. I just can't immerse myself in an environment where many of the people are over the top in their fandom...plus some have issues with basic hygiene :p

I did D23 twice and Star Wars Celebration once and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.
To be honest, that’s another issue I personally have with D23. Many of the fans are over the top and/or don’t actually appreciate the history of the company. It’s a dress-up opportunity for some.

I have also been to two D23 conventions, the first one in 2009, and the second in 2011. The first year was actually really great. It was lowkey, not crowded at all, and wasn’t full of theatrics, if you catch my drift. The panels were interesting and felt genuine, and because pretty much no one showed up, I got to do and see everything that I wanted. Then came 2011 and it was over for me lol. I think I left after an hour, as it was pointless.

The only way I’d return is if I could guarantee a seat in the panels I was interested in. I actually used to have access to that kind of privilege, but my uncle retired from the company a few years ago.

SuddenStorm

Many of the fans are over the top and/or don’t actually appreciate the history of the company. It’s a dress-up opportunity for some.

This is an apt description of both Disney fans, and many people who work at the park.

Which is why things at Disneyland are the way they are right now. Everybody appreciates different things at Disneyland- but when the people calling the shots lose focus on why the place has the legendary reputation it does that's where problems arise.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The fans being fannish at D23 Expo is not the problem. Seeing everyone's costumes there is super fun and impressive. I love seeing people express and support their fandoms.

D23 Expo is a hot mess because it is TERRIBLY, HORRIBLY run. It is a truly nightmarish experience that could be easily mitigated by having it managed by PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO RUN A CON.

Every year it gets worse because they never learn the lessons of the previous Expos nor do they have enough staff and TRAIN THEM.

Stevek

To be honest, that’s another issue I personally have with D23. Many of the fans are over the top and/or don’t actually appreciate the history of the company. It’s a dress-up opportunity for some.

I have also been to two D23 conventions, the first one in 2009, and the second in 2011. The first year was actually really great. It was lowkey, not crowded at all, and wasn’t full of theatrics, if you catch my drift. The panels were interesting and felt genuine, and because pretty much no one showed up, I got to do and see everything that I wanted. Then came 2011 and it was over for me lol. I think I left after an hour, as it was pointless.

The only way I’d return is if I could guarantee a seat in the panels I was interested in. I actually used to have access to that kind of privilege, but my uncle retired from the company a few years ago.
The same could be said of bloggers, vloggers, influencers. They are in it for the exposure and potential money.

Stevek

The fans being fannish at D23 Expo is not the problem. Seeing everyone's costumes there is super fun and impressive. I love seeing people express and support their fandoms.

D23 Expo is a hot mess because it is TERRIBLY, HORRIBLY run. It is a truly nightmarish experience that could be easily mitigated by having it managed by PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO RUN A CON.

Every year it gets worse because they never learn the lessons of the previous Expos nor do they have enough staff and TRAIN THEM.
Depends on the individual. I’m not a fan of cosplay or Disney bounding…but that’s me. I’m old. Get off my yard. Your mileage may vary.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Both are problems, but you’re welcome to enjoy such things.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Depends on the individual. I’m not a fan of cosplay or Disney bounding…but that’s me. I’m old. Get off my yard. Your mileage may vary.
And I'm not a fan of roller coasters so I wouldn't ever go to Six Flags.

Room for everything and I don't need to put down what makes others happy to enjoy what I enjoy. :)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
And I shall. :) (The fandom, not the Expo mismanagement. lol)

I just don't understand the worldview that somebody liking something you don't is a "problem".

I don't enjoy DC films, but I don't call them a "problem". I just don't watch them. :) Cheers to those who do and like them.
That’s you, though. And that’s okay. Yes, the cosplayers, vloggers, etc., particularly the ones that don’t seem to truly care about the history of the company and eat up everything Disney puts out, are a personal problem for me because I don’t want to be surrounded by a large number of people that fit into those groups, and therefore would rather skip the convention because of that. This is not to say that I don’t get along with said groups of people.

Cheers, indeed.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Note that I didn’t put down anyone or anything …other than the people than need stronger deodorant, bloggers, vloggers and “influencers”
I've blogged about the parks for years and I have a YouTube channel. Neither are monetized and neither are about me. They celebrate the things at the park that I enjoy - generally entertainment and characters. I don't appear in any photos or videos so it's got nothing to do with self-promotion.

And you don't think it's putting anyone down by saying the fans smell bad? More than just Disney fans sweat.

Seriously, you don't have to put others down to make yourself feel better. Trying looking with a kinder eye.

MarvelCharacterNerd

That’s you, though. And that’s okay. Yes, the cosplayers, vloggers, etc., particularly the ones that don’t seem to truly care about the history of the company and eat up everything Disney puts out, are a personal problem for me because I don’t want to be surrounded by a large number of people that fit into those groups, and therefore would rather skip the convention because of that. This is not to say that I don’t get along with said groups of people.

Cheers, indeed.
Totally respect that the cons aren't your deal and respect your choice not to attend. You'd never find me at a sporting event. No interest. But I don't need to put down sports fans just because I don't care for football or because they don't know the entire history of the game or the names of every player on the teams. Sometimes people just want to play at what they want to play at. And that's cool. I can join or ignore. But I don't need to put it down just because it's not for me. I'm happy for those who find pleasure in it and just go do what I like instead. :)

MarvelCharacterNerd

And as for cosplayers - I have a lot of friends who are and I desperately wish I had their artistry and talent. It's truly a wonderful and creative skill set that I also have great respect for as I couldn't sew a button on a jacket if I tried. lol Much less make the incredible costumes they put MONTHS into researching, planning and building for events.

Many cosplayers I know have turned their hobby into their profession. Again, nothing but praise and respect for them.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Totally respect that the cons aren't your deal and respect your choice not to attend. You'd never find me at a sporting event. No interest. But I don't need to put down sports fans just because I don't care for football or because they don't know the entire history of the game or the names of every player on the teams. Sometimes people just want to play at what they want to play at. And that's cool. I can join or ignore. But I don't need to put it down just because it's not for me. I'm happy for those who find pleasure in it and just go do what I like instead. :)
I’m not putting anyone down, and neither is @Stevek. Simply stating that we don’t like something doesn’t equate to putting down. We never belittled them, insulted them, etc. If I was actually putting down cosplayers and vloggers, it’d be pretty obvious. I’m also happy for those who find pleasure in cosplaying and blogging, vlogging, etc. They are free to do as they please, just like I’m free to say that it’s not my cup of tea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom