DLR D23 Discussion & News

CaptinEO

The fans being fannish at D23 Expo is not the problem. Seeing everyone's costumes there is super fun and impressive. I love seeing people express and support their fandoms.

D23 Expo is a hot mess because it is TERRIBLY, HORRIBLY run. It is a truly nightmarish experience that could be easily mitigated by having it managed by PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO RUN A CON.

Every year it gets worse because they never learn the lessons of the previous Expos nor do they have enough staff and TRAIN THEM.
Sounds like Disneyland these days. It's managed by people that don't know how to run a themepark.

TP2000

TL talk aside, I think the likeliest announcements they will make are the Treehouse retheme and Magic Happens returning date.

Todrick Hall is back. Sha-blap!

Maybe they’ll announce a return of Paint the Night.

I was told earlier this year by someone who would know that Paint The Night is dead and buried in Anaheim. Too expensive, too troublesome, for today's TDA and the visionless team that guides them now.

mharrington

I was told earlier this year by someone who would know that Paint The Night is dead and buried in Anaheim. Too expensive, too troublesome, for today's TDA and the visionless team that guides them now.

What about that one picture that was shown here allegedly of one of the floats being barely visible inside the parade warehouse, whose doors were open just enough to view inside? Didn't someone say that the floats there were from that parade?

tcool123

What about that one picture that was shown here allegedly of one of the floats being barely visible inside the parade warehouse, whose doors were open just enough to view inside? Didn't someone say that the floats there were from that parade?
They could easily pick and choose some floats to keep for a "new" parade, and reuse the bases for new floats.

mharrington

I had just seen a video from Offhand Disney about how the PeopleMover could possibly return to Disneyland somehow and the announcement of such at D23:

At one point, the video goes off on a tangent about the updates to some of Fantasyland's rides, talking about how some rides, but not all, have received special effects upgrades, that Mr. Toad and Pinocchio were among those still without such. The video then announces that the "Frozen" experiences being announced for the show floor at the upcoming D23 may very well be a "Frozen" mini-land of some kind. According to Offhand Disney, the mysterious video of the Motor Boat Cruise by Scott Trowbridge may not be for the PeopleMover at all, but for said "Frozen" mini-land.

I'm not sure if the space is big enough for even a mini-land of this kind, and frankly, I'm not sure I want this to happen, especially since I have a feeling that either Mr. Toad or Pinocchio could very well be replaced by something "Frozen"-related. I believe (hope, even) that the "Frozen" experiences being announced are in fact for those brand-new lands coming to Paris and Hong Kong.

What do you think?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They have announced the 2022 Disney Legends today to be presented on Friday Sept 9th.

Here they are:

Anthony Anderson
Kristen Bell
Chadwick Boseman
Rob’t Coltrin
Patrick Dempsey
Robert Price “Bob” Foster
Jonathan Groff
Don Hahn
Josh Gad
Doris Hardoon
Idina Menzel
Chris Montan
Ellen Pompeo
Tracee Ellis Ross

mickEblu

They have announced the 2022 Disney Legends today to be presented on Friday Sept 9th.

Here they are:

Anthony Anderson
Kristen Bell
Chadwick Boseman
Rob’t Coltrin
Patrick Dempsey
Jonathan Groff
Don Hahn
Josh Gad
Doris Hardoon
Idina Menzel
Chris Montan
Ellen Pompeo
Tracee Ellis Ross

Man; everyone gets to be a Disney “Legend” these days.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Man; everyone gets to be a Disney “Legend” these days.

Well to be eligible you just have to "The Disney Legends Award is given to an individual who has made an extraordinary contribution to the Disney legacy,".

And based on the list all of this years recipients have all been part of Disney in one form or another for at least a decade or more and have contributed either in front of the camera or behind the scenes.

I don't see anyone on this list that isn't deserving or doesn't represent the Disney Legacy.

mickEblu

I think I’ve come to the realization that the only thing I like about the “Disney” company is Disneyland and hardly anything I like about the park has anything to do with anything they’ve done in the last 20+ years. Other than that it’s the handful of good movies that have came out in recent memory and Star Wars which is also standing on the shoulders of George Lucas the way the folks running the park continue to reap the benefits (in spite of their ineptitude) gifted to them by Walt and the people that built and worked on the park in its first few decades.

EDIT: the Animated classics too of course

Last edited:

mharrington

Here they are:

Anthony Anderson
Kristen Bell
Chadwick Boseman
Rob’t Coltrin
Patrick Dempsey
Jonathan Groff
Don Hahn
Josh Gad
Doris Hardoon
Idina Menzel
Chris Montan
Ellen Pompeo
Tracee Ellis Ross

I'm hoping to be able to get in. My family and I have tried to make a reservation, and succeeded in selecting it, but it's anyone's guess as to whether we'll get in, with this randomized thing they have this time.

In any case, I always knew they would add in Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel someday. I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. By comparison, it took Anika Noni Rose only two years after "The Princess and the Frog" to become a Legend. I thought Mandy Moore became a Legend, too, in 2011 (which would only have been one year after "Tangled"), but apparently not.

It's also worth noting that Menzel also appeared in "Enchanted" with Dempsey, so there's that.

I keep wishing that Tom Hanks is inducted, since he has many Disney credits to his name (such as Woody in Toy Story, the first Touchstone movie "Splash", playing Walt Disney in "Saving Mr. Banks" and now playing Geppetto in the remake of "Pinocchio"), and also because Tim Allen was inducted in 1999. I'm also a little surprised (and disappointed) that they haven't inducted Harrison Ford either, especially given the upcoming Indiana Jones movie. Maybe they'll induct him as a surprise, like they did with Johnny Depp in 2015.

Last edited:

waltography

What are the odds that MagicBand+ will surprise debut at Disneyland in time for the Expo? This is a completely unfounded conspiracy theory, but I'm suspicious of the construction walls in SWGE; I can only assume it's to install a version of the bounty hunter game that's over at DHS. Plus it feels like a bit of news they can tack on at the end of the Parks panel that's small but exciting and folks can try out then and there. Anyone know if there are RFID scanners in the FastPass scanners that they just never turned on?

(This is definitely not me trying to justify buying a Magic Band on shopDisney before the Expo. No way. 😂)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What are the odds that MagicBand+ will surprise debut at Disneyland in time for the Expo? This is a completely unfounded conspiracy theory, but I'm suspicious of the construction walls in SWGE; I can only assume it's to install a version of the bounty hunter game that's over at DHS. Plus it feels like a bit of news they can tack on at the end of the Parks panel that's small but exciting and folks can try out then and there. Anyone know if there are RFID scanners in the FastPass scanners that they just never turned on?

(This is definitely not me trying to justify buying a Magic Band on shopDisney before the Expo. No way. 😂)
As far as I remember most if not all the FP scanners that have the phone reader also have the RFID reader but it’s turned off. Now I never thought they’d bring MB to DLR as it didn’t make sense at the time, but I’m now excited for it.

As for when, just a guess but maybe right after Halloween just in time for the Christmas season.

mickEblu

Hahah I’m probably more excited than I should be for Magic Bands but I have two young kids and my hands are always full. What’s your excuse? Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom