DLR D23 Discussion & News

mharrington

View attachment 656716
It be too late to alter course.šŸ˜ƒ No worries; itā€™s in the ā€œin-betweenā€ stage; already announced and too soon to promote. Also, itā€™s a near clone, so millions of people have already ridden it in Florida.

Not quite a clone, as it's rumored to have an extra section or something. Anyway, you would think that they would use D23 to promote this new ride, but nothing I've seen tells me anything.

mharrington

You're right, they're going to stop all construction immediately and never reopen Toontown because a few people here aren't excited. But that's just life I guess.

I'm excited for it. In fact, I'm anxious. But here's what the official article says (in part):

The Disney Parks and Experiences Wonderful World of Dreams pavilion invites attendees to step into new stories, attractions, and adventures Walt Disney Imagineers are bringing to life around the globe. Fans will discover behind-the-scenes glimpses of Tianaā€™s Bayou Adventure, the transformation of EPCOT, new Frozen-themed experiences, Disney Cruise Line, live entertainment, and more.

The article singled out Tiana, EPCOT and "Frozen" (where, I don't know; I'm guessing it's those lands coming to Paris and Hong Kong), but nothing else. Given that it's already far along in construction, you would think that Toontown (or at least Runaway Railway) would be mentioned in the paragraph, but it isn't.

Again, no jokey non-answers, please.

DLR92

Iā€™m glad their is new focus and preservation on Toontown with the new attraction opening soon. But Iā€™m not really excited for Mickey Runaway Railroad. I wish Disney couldā€™ve new material not used like Ducktails, Darkwing Duck.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm excited for it. In fact, I'm anxious. But here's what the official article says (in part):

The Disney Parks and Experiences Wonderful World of Dreams pavilion invites attendees to step into new stories, attractions, and adventures Walt Disney Imagineers are bringing to life around the globe. Fans will discover behind-the-scenes glimpses of Tianaā€™s Bayou Adventure, the transformation of EPCOT, new Frozen-themed experiences, Disney Cruise Line, live entertainment, and more.

The article singled out Tiana, EPCOT and "Frozen" (where, I don't know; I'm guessing it's those lands coming to Paris and Hong Kong), but nothing else. Given that it's already far along in construction, you would think that Toontown (or at least Runaway Railway) would be mentioned in the paragraph, but it isn't.

Its not singled-out because its not a NEW project, everything listed in that D23 blurb are about NEW projects. They pretty much always highlight already in construction projects and give updates during the panel, that is the stuff that falls in the "and more" part, so there is nothing to worry about here.

BrianLo

This blurb is about the Pavilion show floor, not about the entirety of the keynote. All they are saying is there likely won't be a Toontown model on the show floor as a highlight, which I wouldn't have expected anyways.

I'm certain they'll talk about ToonTown at least briefly, but there isn't much more to say at this point that requires highlighting it upfront.

mharrington

Its not singled-out because its not a NEW project, everything listed in that D23 blurb are about NEW projects. They pretty much always highlight already in construction projects and give updates during the panel, that is the stuff that falls in the "and more" part, so there is nothing to worry about here.
But I don't believe anything happening at EPCOT is new either, unless they announce something that wasn't announced already, like maybe a redo of the Imagination pavilion, which would be great, as I loved the old ride and dislike the current iteration.

Besides, I don't think I will be able to attend the panel and will just have to settle for what they have on the show floor.

waltography

Be prepared to show up early, depending on the panels youā€™d like to see. Iā€™ve been to two Expos, the first one in 2009 and the second in 2011. 2011 was PACKED. I can only imagine what itā€™s like now.

Hope you have fun. :)
Thank you! I've really only got my heart set on the Parks panel which I'm sure will be a tough one, but happy to get up early on a Sunday to secure a good view there.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Thank you! I've really only got my heart set on the Parks panel which I'm sure will be a tough one, but happy to get up early on a Sunday to secure a good view there.
Youā€™re welcome! That one attracts the most people, I would assume. You should line up the day before.

Good luck.šŸ¤žšŸ¾šŸ¤žšŸ¾šŸ¤žšŸ¾

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

D23 is notorious for inexplicable announcements. A planned TRON Racers to replace MK's Speedway was pulled from announcement just days before a previous D23. And the MK's Mains Street Theater was announced instead... and quietly shelved after the announcement.

Disney was frantically pulling and adding slides to its presentation just days before that notorious D23.

So... there is no crystal ball reading that will reliably tell us what will be added or cut from a D23 presentation. Insiders are often stymied as to what will be announced.

Just gotta wait for it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But I don't believe anything happening at EPCOT is new either, unless they announce something that wasn't announced already, like maybe a redo of the Imagination pavilion, which would be great, as I loved the old ride and dislike the current iteration.

Besides, I don't think I will be able to attend the panel and will just have to settle for what they have on the show floor.
EPCOT is a major multi-year transformation project, it would the same as the DCA transformation. Itā€™s more than a single land refurb project which is what Toontown is.

Donā€™t worry, itā€™s moving forward and weā€™ll get some announcement on reopening either at D23 or in a Disney Parks Blog shortly after.

mharrington

EPCOT is a major multi-year transformation project, it would the same as the DCA transformation. Itā€™s more than a single land refurb project which is what Toontown is.

Unless there are new things coming to EPCOT that hadn't been announced yet, I would think they had already announced everything for that park in 2019. In fact, some things that were announced then had been put on hold indefinitely, if not outright canceled, such as the overhaul of Spaceship Earth, the Play pavilion or that Mary Poppins ride coming to the UK pavilion.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Unless there are new things coming to EPCOT that hadn't been announced yet, I would think they had already announced everything for that park in 2019. In fact, some things that were announced then had been put on hold indefinitely, if not outright canceled, such as the overhaul of Spaceship Earth, the Play pavilion or that Mary Poppins ride coming to the UK pavilion.
Again EPCOT is a major project that is overhauling an entire Park, not just a single land. And yes they could announce more things coming for all we know, I wouldn't expect it, but they could.

I know on this side of the site we focus on just DLR, but Disney has 12 different Parks across 6 different resorts around the world that all have various different projects happening at different stages right now. And all of those resorts and their projects will likely be talked about at D23. The Toontown refurb with the addition of MMRR is one of the smaller ones compared to something like EPCOT, or even Tiana.

But again the project is moving forward even if we don't hear anything weekly. And if they don't mention something at D23, which I think is unlikely, they can still use the Disney Parks Blog to provide updates and even a reopening date for the land. Point is again, the project will be completed soon enough, so there is nothing to worry about.

At this point you just need to wait and see what they talk about at D23.

mharrington

Again EPCOT is a major project that is overhauling an entire Park, not just a single land. And yes they could announce more things coming for all we know, I wouldn't expect it, but they could.

I'm just saying that EPCOT was mentioned in the article and that it was for new projects not mentioned before at D23.

The Toontown refurb with the addition of MMRR is one of the smaller ones compared to something like EPCOT, or even Tiana.

I would argue that Toontown and Runaway Railway combined are actually bigger than Tiana because it's overhauling a whole land to add a brand-new ride (for Disneyland anyway), not just overhauling a ride.

But again the project is moving forward even if we don't hear anything weekly. And if they don't mention something at D23, which I think is unlikely, they can still use the Disney Parks Blog to provide updates and even a reopening date for the land. Point is again, the project will be completed soon enough, so there is nothing to worry about.

So we can't talk about it in the meantime between now and September?

mharrington

Given the context surrounding Tiana, that is the bigger and more significant project.

@mharrington As others have stated, you and the rest of us will simply have to be patient until September. Also, no one is saying you canā€™t discuss Toontown. If you would like to do that, bump the Toontown thread.

I've done that once in a while, but no one else did, and when I did, it was because I wanted to add something of significance, which sadly wasn't much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom