DLR D23 Discussion & News

Stevek

I've blogged about the parks for years and I have a YouTube channel. Neither are monetized and neither are about me. They celebrate the things at the park that I enjoy - generally entertainment and characters. I don't appear in any photos or videos so it's got nothing to do with self-promotion.

And you don't think it's putting anyone down by saying the fans smell bad? More than just Disney fans sweat.

Seriously, you don't have to put others down to make yourself feel better. Trying looking with a kinder eye.
You’re over thinking things. Disney fans, Star Wars fans, SpongeBob fans…if you can’t handle basic hygiene, that a problem.

Stevek

I’m not putting anyone down, and neither is @Stevek. Simply stating that we don’t like something doesn’t equate to putting down. We never belittled them, insulted them, etc. If I was actually putting down cosplayers and vloggers, it’d be pretty obvious. I’m also happy for those who find pleasure in cosplaying and blogging, vlogging, etc. They are free to do as they please, just like I’m free to say that it’s not my cup of tea.
Yep. People gotta do what makes them happy. May just not be our cup of tea as they say.

Consumer

And I shall. :) (The fandom, not the Expo mismanagement. lol)

I just don't understand the worldview that somebody liking something you don't is a "problem".

I don't enjoy DC films, but I don't call them a "problem". I just don't watch them. :) Cheers to those who do and like them.
If you like A, and everybody else likes B, and they give all their money to B, and A is never made again, isn't that kind of your problem?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yep. People gotta do what makes them happy. May just not be our cup of tea as they say.
Exactly. I once suggested that my uncle and I go to Disneyland because he was flying in to visit from New Mexico. His response was basically thanks, but no thanks because he didn’t like Disneyland. He wasn’t “putting me down” because he said he didn’t like Disneyland.

If people simply state that they don’t like something, that’s not putting said something down. If blogging, vlogging, and cosplaying makes people happy, then fantastic. All three are healthy hobbies.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I’m not putting anyone down, and neither is @Stevek. Simply stating that we don’t like something doesn’t equate to putting down. We never belittled them, insulted them, etc.

You said:
Many of the fans are over the top and/or don’t actually appreciate the history of the company.
That's belittling.

Steve said they had hygiene issues and bloggers are:
They are in it for the exposure and potential money.
That's insulting.

Stating that by attending the Expo that I - or anyone else there - am over the top (suggesting I shouldn't behave or dress in a certain way), unappreciative of the company's history, smelly and an opportunist? Yeah, that's a put-down.

Here's the difference:

No, thanks, I don't want to go to a Lakers game, but I hope you have fun there!

No belittling. No insulting. No put-downs. Just "not for me" without judgment of you.

Stevek

You said:

That's belittling.

That's insulting.

Stating that by attending the Expo that I - or anyone else there - am over the top (suggesting I shouldn't behave or dress in a certain way), unappreciative of the company's history, smelly and an opportunist? Yeah, that's a put-down.

Here's the difference:

No belittling. No insulting. No put-downs. Just "not for me" without judgment of you.
You are taking my statement and applying it to everyone. I never did that. That’s on you. There are subsets of every fan base that take things to an unhealthy extreme.

You don’t think that there are (some, not all) bloggers, vloggers and influencers that are in it for the money? Folks that have little appreciation for the history of the parks? C’mon. You’re smarter than that. They wouldn’t be asking for money on their streams if that was the case. We live in a society of younger folks that are all about how may likes their post will get and that’s what defines them as a person. It’s a major problem, kids depressed and killing themselves because they don’t have enough followers or likes on their posted. Do these bloggers and vloggers really think it’s sustainable? That they can have this as a career at age 40, 50? Not gonna happen. They will figure it out the hard way.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
You said:

That's belittling.

That's insulting.

Here's the difference:

I know what I said. That’s not belittling, that’s a statement of what I perceive could be factual, with the exception of the over the top part. That part was an explanation of specifically why I don’t like being around cosplayers. Not belittling.

Regarding the deodorant comment, I’m not sure if it was in regards to cosplayers or people in general. It’s not my comment, so I won’t speak on that.

Again, if I really wanted to belittle and put down someone/something, it would be very obvious. I could go in on cosplayers and vloggers, but I’m not going to because I have nothing belittling and insulting to say. Stating that they’re over the top, and opinion, is not insulting.

If you took offense to anything that was said, then I apologize, as that wasn’t my intent. With that being said, I’m not going to allow you to claim that I’m putting down people without defending myself, because I didn’t.

I said what I said, and now I’m moving on.✌🏾

MarvelCharacterNerd

You don’t think that there are bloggers, vloggers and influencers that are in it for the money? Folks that have little appreciation for the history of the parks? C’mon. You’re smarter than that. They wouldn’t be asking for money on their streams if that was the case. We live in a society of younger folks that are all about how may likes their post will get and that’s what defines them as a person. It’s a major problem, kids depressed because they don’t have enough followers or likes on their posted. Do these bloggers and vloggers really think it’s sustainable? That they can have this as a career at age 40, 50? Not gonna happen. They will figure it out the hard way.
I don't judge people by how they make a living. Nor put them down for it. If you don't like vloggers, don't financially support them. Simple as that.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I know what I said. That’s not belittling, that’s a statement of what I perceive could be factual, with the exception of the over the top part. That part was an explanation of specifically why I don’t like being around cosplayers. Not belittling.

Regarding the deodorant comment, I’m not sure if it was in regards to cosplayers or people in general. It’s not my comment, so I won’t speak on that.

Again, if I really wanted to belittle and put down someone/something, it would be very obvious. I could go in on cosplayers and vloggers, but I’m not going to because I have nothing belittling and insulting to say. Stating that they’re over the top, and opinion, is not insulting.

If you took offense to anything that was said, then I apologize, as that wasn’t my intent. With that being said, I’m not going to allow you to claim that I’m putting down people without defending myself, because I didn’t.

I don't see how calling someone "over the top" isn't belittling them. You're judging that their behavior or way of dressing is somehow unacceptable and should be different/changed to something more acceptable to you.

Not belittling would be saying "I don't do the costume thing but have fun". Not a judgement. A statement and a well wish.

Don't know how to make the distinction any clearer, so I too, shall call it a night.

Stevek

I don't judge people by how they make a living. Nor put them down for it. If you don't like vloggers, don't financially support them. Simple as that.
Did I judge them? Did I say they were good or bad people? No. Again, you are running with comments and taking them in a direction that nobody else did.

Stevek

My comment was about anyone that can’t handle basic hygiene. I’m just stating that this has always been problematic at large convention type settings. I’m literally not the first person to make this comment. It’s been an issue for decades.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
My comment was about anyone that can’t handle basic hygiene. I’m just stating that this has always been problematic at large convention type settings. I’m literally not the first person to make this comment. It’s been an issue for decades.
That’s what I figured. And some people actually do lack basic hygiene. It’s even worse when you run into them in hot, crowded places.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I don't see how calling someone "over the top" isn't belittling them. You're judging that their behavior or way of dressing is somehow unacceptable and should be different/changed to something more acceptable to you.

Not belittling would be saying "I don't do the costume thing but have fun". Not a judgement. A statement and a well wish.

Don't know how to make the distinction any clearer, so I too, shall call it a night.
If you’re planning to hit up the convention, you’ll have to let us know if their crowd control got any better this year.

TP2000

I love Disney, Star Wars and Tiki...I won't go to a convention for any of those. I just can't immerse myself in an environment where many of the people are over the top in their fandom...plus some have issues with basic hygiene :p

I did D23 twice and Star Wars Celebration once and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Historically, I would swoop in on Sunday afternoon and just buy a day ticket at the door. I'd spend two hours there tops; an hour in the WDI pavilion and then an hour or less doing a loop around the showfloor.

Many of the people there were just harmless fans and fellow Disneyland geeks. But a noticeable chunk of the attendees warranted side-eye glances and steering far clear of them as I padded around the convention hall.

I'm going to be quite busy this September, so I won't attend D23 Expo. I'm glad it's back for those who really want to experience it, especially non-locals who turn it into a trip to Disneyland. But I think I'm pretty much done with being there in person.

TP2000

If you’re planning to hit up the convention, you’ll have to let us know if their crowd control got any better this year.

I still remember the Expo a few years ago, maybe 2015, where that "Maker Studios" had a swanky booth. It was like a YouTube studio that Disney had just bought and folded it into their corporate umbrella.

There was a Maker Studios hipster lady in charge of the booth and she was absolutely losing it on both the crowd control CM's and the people waiting in line nearby. Yelling and huffing and barking at anyone who dared get near her, like a bad Karen having a meltdown at the mall. And the crowd control CM's were just calmly standing there and letting her yell at them, likely having the time of their lives because she was such a disaster and thus so entertaining. 🤣

I watched her from across the aisleway and just marveled at how bizarrely rude and "Hollywood!" she was.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I have a ticket for one day on the weekend but will wait to hear from friends how much of a disaster the first day is before I decide whether to go myself or give it to a friend. I do want to go as I LOVE seeing the costume and prop and vehicle displays from the Disney Archives, talking to Imagineers at the parks pavilion, and hitting up the vendor booths.

But absolutely - I'm happy to report back if they learned their lessons from previous years or if the crowds literally stampede over each other again, they don't control the lines, everything limited edition is sold out in the first three minutes of release but you still have to wait hours in line to get into the stores to find that out... lol

For those who missed it though - the Expo tickets sold out last month so you can't just show up and get in. But really, livestreaming it at home or following along on the parks blog is the way less stressful way to experience it. Though it does miss the fun stuff like seeing the cosplays (which are just amazing) and the official displays, being lucky enough or patient enough to get into a panel to see the stars live or see the cool presentations by the Archive folks or Imagineers or get into a signing or buy a piece of art from the artist or get your hands on that one limited item you dream of for your collection at retail price instead of ebay price! So basically, the same as SDCC or any other con! :)

Djsfantasi

If you like A, and everybody else likes B, and they give all their money to B, and A is never made again, isn't that kind of your problem?
No, I accept it as part of life. No one ever said I have a RIGHT to things that I like. My problem is people who believe they have a RIGHT to their wants. If everyone else liked B, that makes A all the more precious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom