Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Jedijax719

A different mermaid with a different fresh story, different fresh music score, not named Ariel would be interesting and appealing. These attempts to redo / live action established hits keep coming out as cheap copies. Not exciting.
Sounds all nice in theory. However, every new, original property any studio tries to put out in the theaters (and most on streaming) fall flat at best. Either they use a big budget and lose millions or use a smaller budget and sacrifice quality, thus making it look bad. Studios just won't greenlight new properties. That's been a losing poison proposition for movie studios.

MickeyMouse10

Not according to the audience. A score in the 60's is "OK." Not "it sucks."

The CineScore is a random sample of those attending opening weekend, and they're almost all very good. So, fans are on board.

The 70s is "good." and 80s and above is excellent.

It's a difference story with critics.

Oh that's just an opinion, some people agree with.

I think they've been getting worse with each new money grab. Because they've been making some bad casting choices. Which will only get worse with the next group of films.

Little Mermaid, Peter & Wendy and Snow White

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Can't y’all like something for once…it’s constant complaining over here. The CGI this. Her voice that. Just wait until the actual film please. Not everything is the same.
Not when it comes to the live action remakes. They are all the same. Hit all the favorite story beats, add a couple things to make it look like you aren't just pooping out a nostalgia driven cash grab. Then repeat with the next classic film. I hate to say I actually prefer the direct to video garbage they used to put out. At least they were original stories.

erasure fan1

Sounds all nice in theory. However, every new, original property any studio tries to put out in the theaters (and most on streaming) fall flat at best.
They fall flat because too many Hollywood studios have lost the ability to be creative. Instead of focusing on story, they are too busy making sure they check off a bunch of boxes. From story beats to casting, It's all paint by numbers now.

Jedijax719

They fall flat because too many Hollywood studios have lost the ability to be creative. Instead of focusing on story, they are too busy making sure they check off a bunch of boxes. From story beats to casting, It's all paint by numbers now.
What I tell people when they say that is to create something themselves and try selling it to a studio.

Jedijax719

Saw the extended clip and was blown away. This will be huge.

As for the hate, people have been upset about these remakes for a while now. Yet, despite horrible RT critic scores, both Aladdin and Lion King were very well liked and had great scores from audiences. So the question remains, why NOW are people spewing the hate they are. Has Covid caused people to reach a boiling point of hatred against everything and anyone?

erasure fan1

So the question remains, why NOW are people spewing the hate they are. Has Covid caused people to reach a boiling point of hatred against everything and anyone?
I guess you haven't been playing attention. People have been spewing hate for the live action remakes after the first couple. They're lazy and uninspired and that's why people hate on them. Covid has brought people to the boiling point for sure. But the boiling point on the remakes was hit well before Covid.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney made quite a splash at its D23 Expo last weekend with a first look at Halle Bailey’s live-action “The Little Mermaid,” which earned over 104 million global views, Variety has learned exclusively.

The clip takes viewers on a journey through the ocean before showing the shimmering underwater life of Ariel (Bailey), who teases her version of the iconic “Little Mermaid” song “Part of Your World.”

“The Little Mermaid” teaser floated above those of all recent Disney live-action titles, including “Cruella” (68 million views), “Beauty and the Beast” (94 million views), “Alladin” (74 million views) and “Maleficent 2” (62 million views). Worldwide views are compiled from YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram. Due to Queen Elizabeth II’s death on Thursday, “The Little Mermaid” metrics do not include views from the U.K., Ireland and Australia.

In addition, “The Little Mermaid” clip claimed Reddit’s No. 1 trending topic on Friday night and is currently the No. 1 trending video on YouTube’s “Movies” section. Reposted versions of the trailer occupy the No. 2 and 3 slots."

waltography

Just caught a bit of a leak from the expo. In the small extended leak she sounds STUNNING.

Can’t wait. I’m sold now and will be seeing this.
I have not stopped thinking about Part of Your World since it dropped, Halle was the perfect choice to play Ariel. Youthful, rambunctious, rebellious, but also intensely curious and driven and heartbreaking.

If this movie fails, it won't be because of Halle's singing, that's for sure.

erasure fan1

If this movie fails, it won't be because of Halle's singing, that's for sure.
It won't fail. The original has enough of a following that even if it is the worst movie in the last 10yrs. People are still going to see it. And Disney knows this, hence the reason they keep making them.

MickeyMouse10

It won't fail. The original has enough of a following that even if it is the worst movie in the last 10yrs. People are still going to see it. And Disney knows this, hence the reason they keep making them.

I think it will fail, because this isn't really Ariel. It will be on Disney Plus in a month after it plummets like a sinking ship.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The Book and the Animated Movie are 2 totally different versions. She didn't even have a name in the book and she was in excruciating pain when she walked.

Braxton Family Values Drama GIF by WE tv

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom