Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

TTA94

I don't know how I feel about this. Everything that's been leaked so far looks like a play-by-play of the animated classic. I doubt it will be bad, but I surely hope we get more of a Jungle Book type remake, with a lot of new twists and turns, and less of a Lion King remake which pretty much rehashes the original verbatim.

I totally fine with it not being a full play-by-play, But, I really do want the Ursula scenes to be how they are in the animated version, especially the finale where she grows into a giant. I also want the use of the trident to be how it is in the animated version where “magic” or lightning shoots out from it lol. But I kinda doubt that will happen, just like Jafars snake staff in the live action Aladdin.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Jedijax719

Beat me to it. That is a LONG way off. I guess either they (1) felt 2022 was too full, (2) wanted a Memorial Day release like Aladdin but had to wait,(3) Pandemic, (4) needed more time due to underwater scenes and having to animate a talking crab and fish to make them look halfway decent, (5) all of the above..

ETA: I just realized that Aladdin had almost the same exact amount of time between wrapping and release. So it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

Is that date official? That’s a long ways out!
Yes it seems so. See my previous post. I lay out the reasons. While it seems a LONG way off, it fits in with the Aladdin schedule as well as other issues (an extremely crowded 2022 schedule). While it could have been ready by March, 2023, I guess they really liked the success of Aladdin on the Memorial Day weekend. This movie will undoubtedly need more post-production than the other live actions. Besides, TLM truly has a summer theme to it, so by releasing it on the unofficial start to summer, they can bank on merchandising and repeat viewings.

Jedijax719

TTA94

I saw somewhere (I will try to find out) that there will be a "first look" at D23. Who knows what that means. A poster? Pics? Teaser footage for attendees? Who knows?

The biggest question I have is HOW the HECK will they make Sebastian live action? Imagine this thing singing "Kiss the Girl" with Daveed Diggs' voice?

I really want this movie to be amazing but trying to keep my expectations in line. Since the announcement there’s already questionable things about this movie. IMO If it’s not identical story wise to the original, I’m going to hate it lol. I can deal with extras but not scene or story replacements.

Also I think these two versions should be a part of the movie in some way lol.

Jedijax719

I really want this movie to be amazing but trying to keep my expectations in line. Since the announcement there’s already questionable things about this movie. IMO If it’s not identical story wise to the original, I’m going to hate it lol. I can deal with extras but not scene or story replacements.

Also I think these two versions should be a part of the movie in some way lol.

Now, by "original" you can mean more than one thing lol. There's the Disney animated (I am pretty sure you mean that one lol) and Hans Christian Anderson's version.

I am rooting for this film too. I am rooting for Halie Bailey's portrayal. She's cute as a button and has an amazing voice. I'm sure they had legit reasons for a 2 year post-production. This movie needs it. Between the underwater scenes and getting them right and doing whatever they do with the animals (there were lots of complaints after Lion King), they were right in taking their time.

This movie and Black Panther 2 have been the two Disney theatrical projects I've been trying to follow the most.(considering there have been no SW movies on the horizon). Of course the TV show I had been following most was Obi-Wan. Now that it is half way done, it's time for me to focus on TLM and BP2.

Btw, here's another cute crab face they could work with some how. (of course, to me, crabs look best steamed and on my plate with some salted butter).

TTA94

Now, by "original" you can mean more than one thing lol. There's the Disney animated (I am pretty sure you mean that one lol) and Hans Christian Anderson's version.

I am rooting for this film too. I am rooting for Halie Bailey's portrayal. She's cute as a button and has an amazing voice. I'm sure they had legit reasons for a 2 year post-production. This movie needs it. Between the underwater scenes and getting them right and doing whatever they do with the animals (there were lots of complaints after Lion King), they were right in taking their time.

This movie and Black Panther 2 have been the two Disney theatrical projects I've been trying to follow the most.(considering there have been no SW movies on the horizon). Of course the TV show I had been following most was Obi-Wan. Now that it is half way done, it's time for me to focus on TLM and BP2.

Btw, here's another cute crab face they could work with some how. (of course, to me, crabs look best steamed and on my plate with some salted butter).

Yeah I meant the Disney Animated of course lol.
I’m very curious what Ursula is going to look like. If you’ve seen ABCs Once Upon A Time, they did it right and I hope the movie will look similar or better.

Jedijax719

Looks and sounds absolutely stunning! Amazing casting choice too! THIS is how you show a first bare-bones teaser 9 months out. Beautiful shots, amazing shot of the star and the iconic song. That's all we need at the moment to get people to be excited!

erasure fan1

Not at all impressed. Unfortunately just like Aladdin, lion king and beauty and the beast, it just looks like an uninspired retelling of the story. Sure it was just a teaser but they chose to show something pulled right from the animated film. Disney doesn't seem to have any creativity left so I can't see we are going to get anything more than what we got from the last 3 renaissance animated film remakes.

Dear Prudence

She is so stunningly beautiful with a stunningly beautiful voice. I literally cried watching the trailer. I am still sad that Norm Lewis isn't Triton, though. COULD YOU IMAGINE THOSE TWO SINGING "IF ONLY" TOGETHER? 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom