Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

NateD1226

Original Poster
TheDisInsider is reporting that Noma Dumezweni will play Carlotta and Jude Akuwudike will play Grimsby.

Probably the most anticipated of the live-action remakes, The Little Mermaid finally kicked off production earlier this year after a year-long delay due to the coronavirus pandemic. Production only has a couple months left in Sardinia before heading into extensive post-production. Directed by Rob Marshall (Mary Poppins Returns), The Little Mermaid stars Halle Bailey as Ariel. The film will feature the original music by Alan Menken in addition to new songs co-written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The cast also includes Jonah Hauer-King as Prince Eric, Melissa McCarthy as Ursula, Javier Bardem as King Triton, Noma Dumezweni as Carlotta, and Jude Akuwudike as Grimsby. Emily Coates, Jessica Alexander, Russell Balogh, and Adrian Christopher have also joined the cast in unnamed roles. Oh we can’t forget, Eric’s dog Max will also appear. No release date for the film has been announced.

NateD1226

Original Poster
First look at Jonah-Hauer King and Halle Bailey with her red hair during rehearsals in Italy!! It's not a great picture, but it's something!!

1623288261445.png

DVCscott

First look at Jonah-Hauer King and Halle Bailey with her red hair during rehearsals in Italy!! It's not a great picture, but it's something!!

View attachment 563003
This brings up a question. Are they taking a break from rehearsing in this picture, or is this a rehearsal in progress of a scene that will eventually be in the movie? Because it will be a interesting change in the story if Eric hangs out with Ariel on the beach as she is in mermaid form as seen clearly in this shot, with mermaid fin. Looks to be right after she saves him, but will be interesting if they change it up a bit to what it looks like here - he sees her as a mermaid, not just some woman with a beautiful voice. Maybe I am reading too much into the shot.

NateD1226

Original Poster
This brings up a question. Are they taking a break from rehearsing in this picture, or is this a rehearsal in progress of a scene that will eventually be in the movie? Because it will be a interesting change in the story if Eric hangs out with Ariel on the beach as she is in mermaid form as seen clearly in this shot, with mermaid fin. Looks to be right after she saves him, but will be interesting if they change it up a bit to what it looks like here - he sees her as a mermaid, not just some woman with a beautiful voice. Maybe I am reading too much into the shot.
That picture is mostly like a break from rehearsal because there is another picture of the two actors rehearsing the shipwreck aftermath scene from the animated movie with the crew telling them what to do.

BC26FEA4-07C1-4D44-9AD7-15766F2DCBFC.jpeg

TTA94

Anxious to see how Ursula is going to be in this movie, in particular the finale battle where she grows into a giant lol. Not gonna hold my breath the new movie will follow the original, but I hope im wrong.

Jedijax719

They've got to announce a release date for this soon. I assume that there will be a date announced sometime this summer. They had to be mulling over the release date for a while.

NateD1226

Original Poster
New LQ pictures of the Sebastian and Scuttle puppets are out. Obviously, they won’t look exactly like that in the final movie, but it should be a somewhat similar look.

48DE08DE-9185-4813-92EE-74431F9763CF.jpeg

36B6EB86-1CFC-46AE-9A1A-B22BF7D70CDD.jpeg

Jedijax719

Geez that Scuttle pic looks like they caught a real bird and are torturing it!

Great that we're seeing something. But what we should be seeing is a release date.

Prince John

I don't know how I feel about this. Everything that's been leaked so far looks like a play-by-play of the animated classic. I doubt it will be bad, but I surely hope we get more of a Jungle Book type remake, with a lot of new twists and turns, and less of a Lion King remake which pretty much rehashes the original verbatim.

Prince John

I don't know how I feel about this. Everything that's been leaked so far looks like a play-by-play of the animated classic. I doubt it will be bad, but I surely hope we get more of a Jungle Book type remake, with a lot of new twists and turns, and less of a Lion King remake which pretty much rehashes the original verbatim.
I'll take back some of this.
Just saw the images of Ariel hiding - riding in the cart, which is new from the original. Hopefully we get more of these new additions to the story.

tcool123

To be fair the majority of the movie has to be filmed in a soundstage given the underwater setting for the majority of the film. I’m sure we’re gonna have more things added or change especially since Lin Manuel Miranda is writing some new songs with Alan Menken.

Jedijax719

Great to hear that it wrapped filming! This movie will have an extensive post-production period. However, they should be able to FINALLY set (at least tentative) release date.

I am not so sure it will be out in time for 2022. My guess is March or May 2023.

Jedijax719

Should be hearing updates soon. This is the first time I remember a major film (or any film) finishing principle photography without a release date. I guess Marshall needs to fully assess schedules and reshoots and a plan before definitively stating a release date.

My prediction: March 2023. Even if they could get it done, November or December 2022 are WAY too full. 19-20 months of post is pretty long but this is an unprecedented film. Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins Returns both took 17 months of post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom