Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

mf1972

i don’t have much of an opinion for the trailer since it’s a teaser except that it looks visually impressive. maybe i’m just getting tired of live action remakes.

erasure fan1

i don’t have much of an opinion for the trailer since it’s a teaser except that it looks visually impressive. maybe i’m just getting tired of live action remakes.
Maybe it was just my connection, but I wasn't impressed with the CG used when she was swimming. It just looked too fake.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's hard to judge SFX on trailers on the web since everything is compressed and they may not be finished with the full renderings.

Brer Panther

It is, of course, possible that Halle Berry will be the best part of an otherwise lousy remake. Like how John Oliver, Billy Eichner, and Seth Rogen were the best parts of the otherwise lousy Lion King remake.

GimpYancIent

Disney live action remakes do not have an impressive track record. Usually, the teasers and trailers are better than the features. This one is in line to be no different. IMO it's a meh.

erasure fan1

Disney live action remakes do not have an impressive track record. Usually, the teasers and trailers are better than the features. This one is in line to be no different. IMO it's a meh.
Yup. Because the trailers are typically nothing more than nostalgia bait. They take what was already successful, and they know people love, and focus on that. Then everyone is like, oh wow, I love that! Then when you finish the actual movie you realize you've just been bamboozled.

Ghost93

I think this remake, like every live-action Disney remake, is unnecessary and is unlikely to be as good as the original. However, I do think Halle Bailey has an amazing voice and I think she will be terrific as Ariel. I'll probably give it a watch.

MickeyMouse10

It is, of course, possible that Halle Berry will be the best part of an otherwise lousy remake. Like how John Oliver, Billy Eichner, and Seth Rogen were the best parts of the otherwise lousy Lion King remake.

LOL, I did the same thing while talking about Little Mermaid. I think Halle Berry has been famous for so long you can't help, but say her name.

CaptainAmerica

From what I've seen, I love the casting, hate the musical direction, and I'm puzzled by the non-Halle parts of the character design. It feels incongruous that they went for animation-accurate vibrant green for the tailfin, but went with muted barely-red for the hair.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The scorecard on Live Action Remakes:

Not counting the two date and date releases, the Box Office Totals:

Average budget: $172M
Average gross BO: $782M
Average rule-of-thumb profit: $133M

Arranged by critics' scores:

1662913338762.png

Arranged by audience score:

1662913408017.png

Arranged by BO profit:

1662913470379.png

Keep in mind: Neither Cruella nor Mulan had a full theatrical release, just in areas of the world in which theaters were open, and we don't know how much income was generated with premier purchases.

MickeyMouse10

View attachment 665997

View attachment 666001

Arranged by BO profit:

View attachment 666002

Keep in mind: Neither Cruella nor Mulan had a full theatrical release, just in areas of the world in which theaters were open, and we don't know how much income was generated with premier purchases.

That's Impressive!

What's truly amazing about it is every Live Action they've done (except for Jungle Book) has really sucked. I guess Disney has been paying the right people to say good things.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That's Impressive!

What's truly amazing about it is every Live Action they've done (except for Jungle Book) has really sucked. I guess Disney has been paying the right people to say good things.
Not according to the audience. A score in the 60's is "OK." Not "it sucks."

The CineScore is a random sample of those attending opening weekend, and they're almost all very good. So, fans are on board.

The 70s is "good." and 80s and above is excellent.

It's a difference story with critics.

tcool123

View attachment 665997

View attachment 666001

Arranged by BO profit:

View attachment 666002

Will you be updating this chart with the Disney+ original remakes such as Lady and the Tramp and Pinocchio?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom