Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

erasure fan1

I think it will fail, because this isn't really Ariel. It will be on Disney Plus in a month after it plummets like a sinking ship.
I guess it depends on how you classify fail. Creatively, it has already failed just like every other remake. But financially I don't think it will fail. And financial is what Disney cares about. Personally I hope it tanks big time so maybe we can move on from the remakes. I just don't see that happening.

Jedijax719

I can't speak for the details of Hans Christian Anderson's original, but race has absolutely squat to do with Ariel's story from the Disney animated perspective. Her story is about being a mermaid and wanting human legs. There is no race in that formula whatsoever. The only requirement for Ariel is to be a young girl and a mermaid.

I have to admit that when I first heard the casting I was surprised. I was more curious how they'd market the new and old merchandise at the same time. Then, I asked myself if it mattered, saw Halie sing, and I was instantly sold. I then asked myself why I was so surprised in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddyThomas

Can’t y’all like something for once…it’s constant complaining over here. The CGI this. Her voice that. Just wait until the actual film please. Not everything is the same.
Honest to God, right? These people are Disney fans???? They all act like they have crystal balls and trash everything before they know anything about it. If this comes out and sucks, I’ll be the first one to say how bad it sucks, just like with the new version of Pinocchio that is sooooooooo bad and has an ending that is unforgivable.

But let the freaking thing open first and then they can (maybe) know what they are talking about. At this point, it’s just a lot of meaningless noise.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Halle is beautiful and has a fantastic voice. That’s why some of us think she’s perfectly cast. She is talented and I believe she can embody Ariel’s character well. She’s naturally-sweet natured and is a a strong vocalist.
She has a great voice, but it shouldn't take 5 seconds to sing the word "be"...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
She has a great voice, but it shouldn't take 5 seconds to sing the word "be"...
I understand your point, but...

1. You're seeing just a clip of the end of the song and not the word sung in context, which is...
2. An accented syllable at the end of a lyrical line which rhymes with the previous line...
3. And is a big rallentando and ritardando (slowing the tempo and doing it more and more so) in preparation for...
4. The punchline of the song ("part of that world").

All those points support an extended stay on that syllable.

It would tho, indeed be incredible awkward, if done for each time that refrain comes around.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I understand your point, but...

1. You're seeing just a clip of the end of the song and not the word sung in context, which is...
2. An accented syllable at the end of a lyrical line which rhymes with the previous line...
3. And is a big rallentando and ritardando (slowing the tempo and doing it more and more so) in preparation for...
4. The punchline of the song ("part of that world").

All those points support an extended stay on that syllable.

It would tho, indeed be incredible awkward, if done for each time that refrain comes around.
An extended stay is one thing -- but she's not only staying longer than I prefer, but she's riding all the elevators and running up and down the stairs in the process.

I'd be more impressed if she had just worked some emotion into the word instead of flexing her vocal range.

It's not her fault -- I blame Celine Dion and other artists who seem more inclined to search for a note than just sing the song.

Figgy1

You've never been a fan of anything, if you're willing change her at the drop of a hat. Just so moneygrubbing Disney can check off a few boxes.

Halle Bailey does not look like Ariel at all. So she shouldn't play her, simple as that.
Ariel wasn't described by HCA as anything other than having smooth skin so exactly how does she not look like Ariel? What exactly does a mermaid look like?

MickeyMouse10

They could have made her purple and it still wouldn't have had anything to do with skin color.

Yeah, exactly. This isn't about race, it's about whether or not she looks like Ariel. And she does not look like her.

Like I said in the Fantastic Four thread. If Josh Gad or Jack Black were cast to play Superman. I wouldn't like the choice at all either. They are both too short and fat to play the role.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Braxton Family Values Drama GIF by WE tv

Yep, really!

The Book version is completely different than the Disney version. And the latter one is what they are going with. So any discussion about the book and it's contents is unrelated. Disney has always tried to make their interpretations more kid friendly for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Excuse you. If they remade the movie exactly like the original, there would be no reason to remake it at all. Luckily, there is a perfect solution for you: DON’T GO.

Disney has been Copying and Pasting with most of their Live Actions. For a good reason too, to make money from the masses. But none of the movies have been actually good, except for "Jungle Book".

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yep, really!

The Book version is completely different than the Disney version. And the latter one is what they are going with. So any discussion about the book and it's contents is unrelated. Disney has always tried to make their interpretations more kid friendly for obvious reasons.
Thanks for informing me about something I already know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom