Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

NateD1226

Original Poster
Sorry if there is already a thread about this but I just wanted to get this out there.

TheDisInsider on Instagram did a live stream today and talked about the live-action Little Mermaid. He says that Ariel has been cast after 6-7 months of Disney debating who to pick. He didn't say who (he didn't want to get in trouble) but he did say that she has been in a few recent movies, she can sing, and can act. Eric has not be chosen yet because of the wait of Ariel. He predicts that people will have mixed reactions about the person they picked. Official announcement will be coming in about 2 months with production staring early 2019. Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda will be working on the soundtrack for the movie.

Last edited:

NateD1226

Original Poster
People are speculating Hailee Steinfeld. She had been in Pitch Perfect 2 and 3, the new Bumblebee, and more

NateD1226

Original Poster
Zendaya Coleman has been the rumored Ariel for the live action movie! She was in the Greatest Showman and Spider-Man Homecoming.

NateD1226

Original Poster
TheDisInsider news:
520B69E0-5145-4322-843A-18AA3D0AE373.png

Brer Panther

So, since we've got so many suggestions for Ariel already... am I the only one who thinks Dave Goelz would make a great Scuttle? Just combine the nuttiness of Gonzo with the thinks-he-knows-everything-about-humans-ness of Uncle Traveling Matt.

I think Colin Mocherie (I would love to see him in a Disney movie!) and Martin Short would be good choices, too.

Jedijax719

Anyone heard when this is expected to be released?
My guess is either November 2022 or spring, 2023. December 2022 is too crowded and summer 2022 is too soon. They are filming and have been for a couple of weeks I believe.

I think this movie may be the Thanksgiving holiday release for 2022 in place of the typical animated film.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Anyone heard when this is expected to be released?
Disney has 4 Disney Live Action placeholders on their schedule for 2022. Expect it to be released in the summertime (5/27/22 is the summertime date they have reserved) like Aladdin and Lion King since those both hit 1 billion dollars in their release during summer.

Jedijax719

Disney has 4 Disney Live Action placeholders on their schedule for 2022. Expect it to be released in the summertime (5/27/22 is the summertime date they have reserved) like Aladdin and Lion King since those both hit 1 billion dollars in their release during summer.
Will they be able to finish it in time if they are filming now? It usually takes them 15-20 months to do post-production. Beauty and the Beast took 19 months of post, Aladdin took 17 months of post, and Mary Poppins Returns (Marshal's previous work) took 17 months of post. They would have had to finish filming around December 2020 or January of this year to meet that same schedule for a May 2022 release. And that is without a COVID-19 schedule.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Will they be able to finish it in time if they are filming now? It usually takes them 15-20 months to do post-production. Beauty and the Beast took 19 months of post, Aladdin took 17 months of post, and Mary Poppins Returns (Marshal's previous work) took 17 months of post. They would have had to finish filming around December 2020 or January of this year to meet that same schedule for a May 2022 release. And that is without a COVID-19 schedule.
I think they could, but I could see why you think they can't. They have been filming for almost 3 months now so they should be done in April/May. If it doesn't take the May slot, then it will most likely take the August date (8/12/22). I highly doubt they will do the November date (11/4/22) because they moved Captain Marvel 2 to 11/11/22 which leaves no break in between the two movies. Plus, they have another Disney animated film coming out 2 weeks after CM2 so that month is already pretty crowded. Who knows though. I could be super wrong lmao

Jedijax719

I think they could, but I could see why you think they can't. They have been filming for almost 3 months now so they should be done in April/May. If it doesn't take the May slot, then it will most likely take the August date (8/12/22). I highly doubt they will do the November date (11/4/22) because they moved Captain Marvel 2 to 11/11/22 which leaves no break in between the two movies. Plus, they have another Disney animated film coming out 2 weeks after CM2 so that month is already pretty crowded. Who knows though. I could be super wrong lmao
Well they do have that October 2022 date reserved BUT that would be a horrible release date for this.

Since there is potentially different demographics going for CapMar2 and TLM, that's why I predicted November 2022. They could just use it to replace their typical animated (haven't heard anything about animated films past Lightyear in June 2022.)

I think they had hoped to start filming this past fall which would have made May 2022 ideal (considering the massive success of Aladdin). The other live actions will likely go straight to D+ (Peter Pan, Pinocchio). They'd really have to move fast to get TLM out in May. The reason I think it will be difficult is how long they did post for the other films AND the underwater shots. Sure, Marshal has had some experience with it (On Stranger Tides and Poppins Returns), but they will really want to nail it with this one. However, it does seem like they had done a LOT of pre-production so who knows. Personally, I'd like to see it get out by May 2022 but only if they are 100% of the quality.

I think the reason they haven't set a date is all due to COVID. They don't know how filming will go and whether anyone will get sick or there will have to be shutdowns, etc. When filming wraps (hopefully within a month) they will likely announce a date.

ETA: I just read that Aquaman had 13 months of post-production which would be the same for TLM if it finsihed next month and was released in May 2022. I used that because of the water shots which, imho, were pretty good in Aquaman.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Well they do have that October 2022 date reserved BUT that would be a horrible release date for this.

Since there is potentially different demographics going for CapMar2 and TLM, that's why I predicted November 2022. They could just use it to replace their typical animated (haven't heard anything about animated films past Lightyear in June 2022.)

I think they had hoped to start filming this past fall which would have made May 2022 ideal (considering the massive success of Aladdin). The other live actions will likely go straight to D+ (Peter Pan, Pinocchio). They'd really have to move fast to get TLM out in May. The reason I think it will be difficult is how long they did post for the other films AND the underwater shots. Sure, Marshal has had some experience with it (On Stranger Tides and Poppins Returns), but they will really want to nail it with this one. However, it does seem like they had done a LOT of pre-production so who knows. Personally, I'd like to see it get out by May 2022 but only if they are 100% of the quality.

I think the reason they haven't set a date is all due to COVID. They don't know how filming will go and whether anyone will get sick or there will have to be shutdowns, etc. When filming wraps (hopefully within a month) they will likely announce a date.

ETA: I just read that Aquaman had 13 months of post-production which would be the same for TLM if it finsihed next month and was released in May 2022. I used that because of the water shots which, imho, were pretty good in Aquaman.
Yeah, anything could happen. Plus, TLM is the only theatrical live-action movie that is in production right now so I'm pretty sure they could turn around this movie pretty fast a la Aquaman. COVID has really put a wrench in the consistency of the movie schedule, but hopefully, we get a big chunk of movies in the 2nd half of this year and next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom